NOMference Spring 2024 Saturday Morning!!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

Re: NOMference Spring 2024 Saturday Morning!!!!!

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:30 am

nibbler wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:29 am
I thought he was trying to draw a comparison between Jesus on the sea of Galilee and himself. Both were asleep during a raging storm while other people were freaking out.
:lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

alas

Post by alas » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am

I read in someone's conference predictions that they would get a woman to give the “wear your garment’s” talk because it is the women who they are losing tight control over and it will go over better if a woman nags at us. After the talk on line about the crackdown, I agreed with that idea because they just like cracking down on women and they can always find an obedient sucker to do as they instruct. So, yup. The other prediction that I thought likely to happen was that they would say something about online criticism of church leaders being bad. So, two predictions that I agreed would happen have already happened. And not only did I not have to watch to find out that the predictable has happened, now I can just pay zero attention the rest of the weekend. So predictable, and boring.

Give a minus 25 to each of the predictable speakers doing as they were told.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:34 am

alas wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:31 am
I read in someone's conference predictions that they would get a woman to give the “wear your garment’s” talk because it is the women who they are losing tight control over and it will go over better if a woman nags at us. After the talk on line about the crackdown, I agreed with that idea because they just like cracking down on women and they can always find an obedient sucker to do as they instruct. So, yup. The other prediction that I thought likely to happen was that they would say something about online criticism of church leaders being bad. So, two predictions that I agreed would happen have already happened. And not only did I not have to watch to find out that the predictable has happened, now I can just pay zero attention the rest of the weekend. So predictable, and boring.

Give a minus 25 to each of the predictable speakers doing as they were told.
Great points Alas!!

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:36 am

alas wrote:
I read in someone's conference predictions that they would get a woman to give the “wear your garment’s” talk because it is the women who they are losing tight control over and it will go over better if a woman nags at us.
And the woman that drew the short straw just so happened to be the same woman that made the comment about women in the church having broader authority than women in any other organization (or some such).

They probably didn't know that particular event would blow up like it did. Certainly not in time to shuffle things around before conference.

Still, I hope many women look at the garment talk and go, "Yeah, but she also thinks women have actual authority in church." and dismiss the talk out of hand.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:42 am

nibbler wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:36 am
alas wrote:
I read in someone's conference predictions that they would get a woman to give the “wear your garment’s” talk because it is the women who they are losing tight control over and it will go over better if a woman nags at us.
And the woman that drew the short straw just so happened to be the same woman that made the comment about women in the church having broader authority than women in any other organization (or some such).

They probably didn't know that particular event would blow up like it did. Certainly not in time to shuffle things around before conference.

Still, I hope many women look at the garment talk and go, "Yeah, but she also thinks women have actual authority in church." and dismiss the talk out of hand.
She was probably the worst one they could have picked to give that message if they wanted it to be taken seriously. :lol:

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:42 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:21 am
It's looking like the older leaders (Nelson, Oaks, Eyring) are unable to be there in person which is interesting... you could have a situation where they all go close together in the not too far off future.
Who is conducting if none of the first presidency are there?
(Sorry if I missed that....just catching up now!!)
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:43 am

Eyring.....

Still sucking up even at his age. Nelson is at home keeping track of who mentions him the most.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:46 am

AllieOop wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:42 am
Oaks said some of the Twelve would be conducting as needed.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:47 am

Palerider wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:46 am
AllieOop wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:42 am
Oaks said some of the Twelve would be conducting as needed.
Thank you! Interesting....
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."