Best part of conference?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Best part of conference?

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:38 pm

I made it through the entire Saturday without listening or seeing a word or even hearing anyone else mention it. What an absolute joy.

-lost

Conman52

Re: Best part of conference?

Post by Conman52 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:29 pm

One dude from the seventy claiming he used his priesthood to resurrect his mother and if that wasn't enough he resurrected his child with his priesthood !!!! Keeps getting more weird every conference. Kearon had the best talk that made the most sense in line with mainstream Christianity. Glad to hear from you lost .
By their fruits ye shall know them

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:28 pm

This weekend I hung up little inspirational quotes inside cabinets and behind doors, to see in the morning, when coming and going.

Covenant bond? Naaa, try everyone bond -

“Namasté,”

I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides; I honor the place in you of love, of light, of truth, of peace. I honor the place within you where, if you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us. Namasté

Regrets? Naaas -

"Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.

Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.

This new day is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on the yesterdays."

Heaven? Success?

"To laugh often and much: To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you lived. This is to have succeeded." - Emerson

What is everyone's new motivation quotes for around the house? Motivational people? Words that actually inspire and uplift? People who actually made a difference? I spent the weekend with new friends, enjoying nature. So sad for those still trapped in this stuff. Big hugs to you all.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 am

I spend Saturday conference in Sugar Creek, OH. Amish country. Sunday was in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I would say I didn't miss anything.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 am
I spend Saturday conference in Sugar Creek, OH. Amish country. Sunday was in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I would say I didn't miss anything.
Did you go by the nesting site (Bath Road) of the blue herons? That's pretty cool to see. Were you in Ohio for the eclipse? It exceeded my expectations. There is such a difference between 100% and 99% totality.

I managed to watch the first part of Sunday morning, but then decided to take the dog outside.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:22 pm

hmb wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 am
Did you go by the nesting site (Bath Road) of the blue herons? That's pretty cool to see. Were you in Ohio for the eclipse? It exceeded my expectations. There is such a difference between 100% and 99% totality.

I managed to watch the first part of Sunday morning, but then decided to take the dog outside.

Cuyahoga Valley was absolutely swamped. Didn't get a chance to see much outside of a lot of other people. I ended up at a nature reserve near Sandusky for the eclipse. Had a great time. That was amazing to see. We were near the center line of totality.

Traffic home was a minor nightmare through. Next time, spend an extra night in town to avoid the exodus.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:13 pm

Elder Patrick Kearon affirming both parts of the Great Commandment, in refutation to Oaks and Stevenson's claim that you must not love the Homos to please Jesus.

I can understand Oaks' reasoning: He wants to drive out all young people with a good conscience to ensure an obedient majority in the future.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 am

I was a little surprised to hear Nelson state that baptism will get you into the Celestial Kingdom but only temple covenants and marriage would get you "Exaltation" within the Celestial Kingdom.

I've never read that baptism alone, would get you into the CK.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:56 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:36 am
I was a little surprised to hear Nelson state that baptism will get you into the Celestial Kingdom but only temple covenants and marriage would get you "Exaltation" within the Celestial Kingdom.

I've also never heard, or read that making it to Super VIP MORmON Heaven (CK) is not equal to Exaltation.
  • Elohim: Lives in the "Celestial Kingdom."
  • Exaltation: Live with Elohim after you die.
Or have they changed something about those two bullet points?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:17 pm

Palerider wrote:

I think this is the standard teaching. Baptism matters in the afterlife only if you're aiming for at least the lowest level of the Celestial Kingdom. No need for it to enter Terrestrial or Telestial.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:17 pm
Palerider wrote:

I think this is the standard teaching. Baptism matters in the afterlife only if you're aiming for at least the lowest level of the Celestial Kingdom. No need for it to enter Terrestrial or Telestial.
It's leadership escalation to increase the OCD and scrupulosity of members. First there was just heaven. Then Joseph made three heavens. Then later leaders split the highest level into three uber-sub-heavens. Now you are looked down upon if you are only satisfied with reaching the CK. You've got to be scrupulously obsessively perfect to reach the REAL CK where you get to be "exalted" (because they are afraid of how Christians react when you say you're going to be a god). I'm surprised Nelson hasn't split that one into three tiers so people like him can contemplate going to the highest of the highest of the highest while their airplane is spiraling in a fiery corkscrew of death.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."