Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:07 am

Here's a fun excerpt from a BBC documentary called Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism, in which as group of Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims are bussed around the US to look for evidence for and against evolution. This awesome clip is when they sit down with paleoanthropologist Tim White at Berkley and he explains the evidence in such a simple way that, probably for the first times in their lives, they have to actually consider it. Please watch to the end of the scene at minute 48 (a total of about 4 minutes of your precocious time).

https://youtu.be/Oju_lpqa6Ug?t=2624
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am

Man that clip of the two women and the one says 'then don't be thinking' about what she heard is just so common and so depressing.

And I think most of us have experienced both ourselves thinking that way and then others responding that way to us once we take a step away. I can give a few variations of this that I've been told by a few people personally and there's just nothing you can do to open up their mind to the possibility that the church isn't what is claims to be.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:55 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am
Man that clip of the two women and the one says 'then don't be thinking' about what she heard is just so common and so depressing.
A good (apostate) friend of mine told me once that one of his biggest issues with religion was: "It teaches you not to think."

I think I replied: "Think about what?"

He replied again: "It teaches you not to think."

Those to ladies accidentally said it out loud...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:43 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:07 am
Here's a fun excerpt from a BBC documentary called Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism, in which as group of Fundamentalist Christians and Muslims are bussed around the US to look for evidence for and against evolution. This awesome clip is when they sit down with paleoanthropologist Tim White at Berkley and he explains the evidence in such a simple way that, probably for the first times in their lives, they have to actually consider it. Please watch to the end of the scene at minute 48 (a total of about 4 minutes of your precocious time).

https://youtu.be/Oju_lpqa6Ug?t=2624
I found myself unexpectedly in tears listening to the exchange between those two women. It's a big forking deal to face down the possibility (probability) that your entire world view is based on sand . . .

It's been ten years since my faith crumbled and I'm really glad to be where I am, but the transition was so painful.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:08 pm

Watched the entire documentary, and... Wow.

My apostate brain tells me that I was never as indoctrinated as those creationist folks but was I?

If I had participated in a Conspiracy Road Trip during my two-year stint as an unpaid salesperson for LD$-Inc. would I have acted similar to the creationists?

:shock:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Angel

Post by Angel » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:50 pm

I have staunch young-earth creationists in the family.

The Bible does fall apart without it.
Adam and Eve story? First death? Redeemed from that first death? What created means, made by god? Or not made, just oversee natural process?

If everyone is honest, Darwin debunked all of Christianity.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:18 pm

Humans can be good about denying human learning. I know of this one faith tradition headed by a heart surgeon. Despite this man's extensive medical training he still denies evolution or at least for his faith's members who were descended from Adam and Eve in Missouri rather than that heathen Pre-Adamite bunch who are always persecuting his faithful flock.

MAKE COFFEE NOT WAR!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:58 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:18 pm
Humans can be good about denying human learning. I know of this one faith tradition headed by a heart surgeon. Despite this man's extensive medical training he still denies evolution or at least for his faith's members who were descended from Adam and Eve in Missouri rather than that heathen Pre-Adamite bunch who are always persecuting his faithful flock.

MAKE COFFEE NOT WAR!
Well, he was in medical school only 20 years after the Scopes trial. Biological science has come a loooooong way since then.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 am

I’m sure God just sprinkled in really old human skulls along with the dinosaur bones when he created the earth.

God can do anything, right?

That’s an example of the deep conversations I’ve had with TBM family and relatives. I’ll admit that I can relate to the thought process but I can also admit the other side is not very compelling either when it comes to understanding our purpose on this planet.

I’m willing to accept that I’m here as a result of my ancestors copulating and that in a million years from now humans and life on the planet will look vastly different (assuming we don’t destroy it in the next 1000 years), but what does that really mean? What’s the purposes here and what does it matter if we don’t have a narrative other than survival and existence?

If the creation narrative falls, then there is no afterlife.

If the before and after story is just that, then how do I choose to live today? Especially if the eternal reward is taken away?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:51 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 am
I’m willing to accept that I’m here as a result of my ancestors copulating and that in a million years from now humans and life on the planet will look vastly different (assuming we don’t destroy it in the next 1000 years), but what does that really mean? What’s the purposes here and what does it matter if we don’t have a narrative other than survival and existence?

If the creation narrative falls, then there is no afterlife.

If the before and after story is just that, then how do I choose to live today? Especially if the eternal reward is taken away?
Nihilism. It's What's For Dinner.

:lol:

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander