Priesthood DoorDash

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Priesthood DoorDash

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:29 pm

A couple of priests showed up at our door today to bring my wife the sacrament. I was not home and I was not happy that the ward took it upon themselves to decide that she, without any sort of request or invitation, needed a worthy priesthood holder (pimply teenager) to compensate for my dereliction of duty or unworthiness or however they frame it.

I am happy to bless the sacrament for my wife whenever she wants it. I tell her EVERYONE has the authority to do that, even her.

I was unhappy not only because they are trying sneak one past me, but because the main reason Mrs. Hagoth does not attend church is that she is a caregiver for her 95-year-old mother, and she knows that people come to church even when they are sick out, of a sense of obligation. You can hear them coughing on the Zoom feed. Sending people from that environment into our home does not address her concerns.

I emailed the bishop to tell him that we are perfectly capable of finding the sacrament when we want to, and that we don't need teenagers coming to the rescue, so please take us of the "shut-ins" list. I know their heart is in the right place because they genuinely see their magic spells as essential to a good life, I just object to the assumption of authority over my household.

Anybody else had this happen?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Re: Priesthood DoorDash

Post by Palerider » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:15 pm

I've had them call and ask me to speak in sacrament meeting and had them send the missionaries even when I've asked them nicely but firmly not to.

The resignation letter was the only thing that seemed to break through the "I'm doing this for your own good" determination that envelopes the minds of members.

I call it "arrogance without malice".
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 am

Palerider wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:15 pm
I call it "arrogance without malice".
Love it!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 am

During covid shut ins the extended family would get together for sacrament meeting. Someone assigned a rotation schedule and included me. I decided rather than to say the sacrament prayers, I would just pull up the sign language video version from an iPad. The family thought it was pretty special and I avoided blessing the sacrament out loud. Win win.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg