How to respond to believing spouse?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

Re: How to respond to believing spouse?

Post by stuck » Tue May 07, 2024 3:23 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:55 pm

It's so nice to be mostly out of the church. All my siblings are out, but wife's siblings are all in so it makes it tough on her. Also, I still feel the pressure to stand in circles whenever wife's family has ordinance things. I try to avoid them when possible.
That's why I think it would be good if I am not able to baptize my son because then I could explain to my family that I won't be participating because I lost my faith 10+ years ago. I think some know but it seems that it would just clear the air to let others know where I'm at.

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue May 07, 2024 3:24 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:56 pm
Tell your believing spouse to have a happy Cinco de Mayo.
I like it :)

stuck

Post by stuck » Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 pm

So here's an update. My wife and I spoke with the bishop yesterday about baptizing my son. He talked it over with his counselors and they felt ok with me doing it. This new bishop has two brothers who have left the church; so that along with his interest in Mormon criticism and apologetics and in his admiration of Don Bradley he is a bit more open minded. He felt like it was ok as long as I wasn't antagonistic to Mormonism or Christianity. He wants me to be open to spirituality like Don Bradley so that I might come back. I don't think that that's going to happen unless something really significant happens. This last bishop seemed to be more reticent because of my agnostic beliefs.

Anyway, it seems the church continues to change and evolve like Shannon Lamb on Mormon Stories said. She is brave to voice her opinions more openly so that's awesome. For myself I like to avoid going to sunday school or priesthood meeting.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm

If you end up doing the baptism, just wear bright red boxer briefs under the jump suit. That will get everyone talking. If that’s too scandalous, then make them BYU blue.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue May 21, 2024 10:26 am

Sounds like a good resolution to the situation. Enjoy your time with your fam!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue May 21, 2024 11:55 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm
If you end up doing the baptism, just wear bright red boxer briefs under the jump suit. That will get everyone talking. If that’s too scandalous, then make them BYU blue.
:lol: I think my son would like that :P

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue May 21, 2024 11:57 am

Linked wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 10:26 am
Sounds like a good resolution to the situation. Enjoy your time with your fam!
Thanks Linked!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 23, 2024 6:55 am

And take everyone out for ice cream afterward for a second scoop of The Spirit.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue May 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 6:55 am
And take everyone out for ice cream afterward for a second scoop of The Spirit.
I could take them to Handel's where they serve the Blue Spaghetti Monster I mean the Blue Monster ice cream that my kids love :)