The Prophet and Apostles are out living their wives.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

The Prophet and Apostles are out living their wives.

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 22, 2024 4:39 pm

There’s a discussion on the ALSSI substack about the apostles wives dying before the men. Which typically is opposite of the statistics that show most men die before their spouse. Here’s the conversation.
🧟‍♀️I cannot delay sharing my horror from realizing during this episode that the women are dying before the men. What in the actual f? This makes absolutely no statistical sense. I know among lds general population it may not be true but why are the men living longer than women. The following leaders that I can think of off my top of head are the spouses - of course I don’t know their names🙈🫥 which also adds another level of dismay. Dantzel Nelson, June oaks, Patricia holland, X Ballard’s, Marjorie Hinckley, X Monson, X Eyring. X Scott, X Perry. Why are these men not busting their asses more? They must have lived a cush life with all that power. Who exactly was doing all the sacrificing? Then I think back on Gordon b Hinckley saying “People wonder what we do for our women. I'll tell you what we do. We get out of their way and look with wonder at what they're accomplishing." I think I’m gonna have to go lie down as @susan would say🛌
After thinking more about this, I think it has to do with the levels of stress (or lack thereof) the men leaders endure in their careers knowing their jobs and financial security are set for life. They have handlers that schedule, drive, and get them where they need to be. They have food, shelter, and healthcare provided to them. Where as their wives still probably do all the housework, child care, and other gender specific roles. Perhaps they are just bored to death?

What think ye? Why do many of the Mormon women of leadership die first?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Angel

Re: The Prophet and Apostles are out living their wives.

Post by Angel » Thu May 23, 2024 4:38 am

"Who dies first" vs. "Who lives the longest", a test of the validity of any political/religious system.

By their fruits...

Longest life expectancies:

1 Hong Kong 85.83. - Taoism
2 Macao 85.51 - Buddhist
3 Japan 84.95 - Buddhist
4 Switzerland 84.38 - Catholic

The current Catholic Pope has impressed me quite a bit.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 am

Yes, Taoism is the true religion.

Just the stress of living in fear that you might shame yourself by accidently standing up before your husband in a meeting where thousands of people have come to adore him might be enough to make the difference.

Because the husbands are totally consumed by such demanding God-ordained tasks as reading talks from teleprompters, flying first class, and nodding off in meetings, the wives not only have to run the household and juggle the affairs of the huge extended family, but they have to keep up the appearance of someone who is oh-so-blessed by their marriage to such a Great Man, be the gatekeepers to all of the friends, families, neighbors, and randos constantly seeking access to the Great Man. It is also their job to be on constant call to keep his image perfectly polished. I'm sure it is absolutely exhausting.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 am

Not to mention the lost sleep when you get woken up in the middle of the night by your husband kicking you out of the bedroom because he is getting a message from his priesthood antenna.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 23, 2024 3:08 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 am
Not to mention the lost sleep when you get woken up in the middle of the night by your husband kicking you out of the bedroom because he is getting a message from his priesthood antenna.
110% real answer here! Perhaps this is why Wendy is so much younger too.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 24, 2024 9:25 am

Just This Guy wrote:
And think how much work it was for poor Emma to move those heavy gold plates around so she could dust underneath them... wait, how did they get dust UNDER them? And she never looked under the cloth. Nope, not even once. Right?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 24, 2024 9:09 pm

I can't count the number of times I have heard members claim that the longevity of The Brethren is evidence of their prophetic/apostolic calling, when in fact it is merely evidence of their access to a degree of healthcare and mollycoddling that the rest of us can't even comprehend. These are the straws believers are forced to grasp for in the absence of any actual prophesy, insight, foresight, or apostolic spiritual manifestations.

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Fri May 31, 2024 6:38 am

I think proper selection has a lot to do with it. All prophets and apostles have spent time as general authorities (typically seventies) before being called to be an apostle. Only general authorities who do a good job, which requires a energy, are called to be apostles. Most apostles are in their 60s when they are called. A general authority who is showing health issues will never be selected as an apostle.

In other words, only the healthiest men in their 60s are chosen to be apostles. If you still have good health in your 60s, there is a good chance you will live longer than normal.

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri May 31, 2024 10:25 am

My great grandparents, and maternal grandparents died within weeks of one another. Those generations went through so much together, they were bonded to one another in life and death.

Seeing older couples,
Some are relieved when their spouse dies. Freedom from being a caretaker, freedom from being bossed, nagged, judged.

Some are lost, unable to be self reliant when spouse dies. Perhaps never self reliant, unable to figure out bills, unable to fix car, can't use the TV.

Some are so connected to their spouse, they die together. They lived for one another, became one flesh, one mind, were so connected in life, they were connected in death too.

One and only, vs. Polygamous mindset....
Equally yoked, vs heirarchy/slave/dependent
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 31, 2024 8:16 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Didn't that happen somewhere in real life?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha