Your assignment is to create an account on LDS.org

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Your assignment is to create an account on LDS.org

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm

The seminary kids are being asked to create an account on LDS.org.
Dear Parents,
Every student was given the assignment to create an account on lds.org. This will allow them to log into their seminary profile and record their personal study of the New Testament, see their attendance history, and view their transcripts from previous years. As parents, you can also see this information for your seminary students. Simply go to myseminary.lds.org and log in with your lds account. As parents, you can also record their reading and have the ability to check attendance and excuse absences if necessary.
Why does this make me mad? I'm skeptical there are other reasons given the church collects data and runs a Research Information Division. It just seems intrusive and I can't stand that it's mandatory.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MerrieMiss

Re: Your assignment is to create an account on LDS.org

Post by MerrieMiss » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank goodness I have many years before seminary becomes a reality for my family.

I do not have, and never have had, an LDS.org account. My husband has one and the computer automatically puts his info in so I use his. I've been pressured to make one from time to time, but why would I bother? I only use it to look up someone's address once in a while anyway.

The bishop was taking people's pictures at tithing settlement for the ward directory. I refused. If I wanted my picture on the directory I would do so. And I'm definitely not uploading my mugshot taken in the church hall.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 am

MerrieMiss wrote:The bishop was taking people's pictures at tithing settlement for the ward directory. I refused. If I wanted my picture on the directory I would do so. And I'm definitely not uploading my mugshot taken in the church hall.
You can modify your own pictures after they are put on the directory. A few years ago I changed all of my family to mugshots of the Avengers. It stayed for a few until my wife found it and at least changed her picture back. I did get a few ward members tell me it was great. This is a profound misuse of lds.org and the site will gravely warn you about copyright issues and licensing if you don't use picture that you (or your bishop) put on the site. You could change your picture to a small graphic that says "CESLETTER.COM" or "MormonThink.com" or "NewOrderMormon.net" if you were so inclined.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm
Dear Parents,
Every student was given the assignment to create an account on lds.org. This will allow them to log into their seminary profile and record their personal study of the New Testament, see their attendance history, and view their transcripts from previous years. As parents, you can also see this information for your seminary students. Simply go to myseminary.lds.org and log in with your lds account. As parents, you can also record their reading and have the ability to check attendance and excuse absences if necessary.
Why does this make me mad? I'm skeptical there are other reasons given the church collects data and runs a Research Information Division. It just seems intrusive and I can't stand that it's mandatory.
Excused absences??? Gah! I didn't go through seminary, and my kids were grown when I joined. I didn't realize it was this Big Brotherish. Do they get report cards?
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:50 pm

The NOM formerly known as Scared wrote:Excused absences??? Gah! I didn't go through seminary, and my kids were grown when I joined. I didn't realize it was this Big Brotherish. Do they get report cards?
Yup! And get this, if you have too many absences not excused or too many tardies then the report card gives a grade but shows incomplete until make up work is completed. A worksheet of sorts. Yes, seminary follows the repentance program and make up work can be done. Everyone wins!

John G.

Post by John G. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:06 am

Corsair wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 am
MerrieMiss wrote:The bishop was taking people's pictures at tithing settlement for the ward directory. I refused. If I wanted my picture on the directory I would do so. And I'm definitely not uploading my mugshot taken in the church hall.
You can modify your own pictures after they are put on the directory. A few years ago I changed all of my family to mugshots of the Avengers. It stayed for a few until my wife found it and at least changed her picture back. I did get a few ward members tell me it was great. This is a profound misuse of lds.org and the site will gravely warn you about copyright issues and licensing if you don't use picture that you (or your bishop) put on the site. You could change your picture to a small graphic that says "CESLETTER.COM" or "MormonThink.com" or "NewOrderMormon.net" if you were so inclined.
You can modify your display picture, but can you ever delete from the church's computers your original picture? I've learned the hard way, with other organizations that have encouraged me to upload your picture, that they don't seem to give me the option of ever completely deleting it.

Unfortunately computerized tracking is the way everything is going nowadays. It's kind of scary!
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:39 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:50 pm
Yup! And get this, if you have too many absences not excused or too many tardies then the report card gives a grade but shows incomplete until make up work is completed. A worksheet of sorts. Yes, seminary follows the repentance program and make up work can be done. Everyone wins!
I have received a few of these "make up work" emails from seminary for my daughters. I just chuckle and delete them. They can't prevent my daughters from graduating from high school. However, this can prevent them from going to a BYU school so that's an advantage.

Luther Heggs

Post by Luther Heggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am

Corsair wrote:
This is so genius. I didn't know you can do this. Luther's picture is about to replace my ugly mug and n our ward directory.
Lies are lies even if you believe them or think you are doing something moral - they are still lies.

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:24 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 pm
Dear Parents,
Does this make you 'church mad', or just 'mad-mad'? Is it the big brother part that you don't like? Would it make you mad if the regular school gave your kids an assignment to create an account to look at their math homework scores, and track their attendance in social studies class?

I don't like all the privacy we have lost in every facet of our lives as the internet of things begins to permeate everything. But, for me personally, my reaction to this would be the same as when the high school my kids attend asks them to create a similar account.
Last edited by azflyer on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:25 am

Luther Heggs wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am
Corsair wrote:
This is so genius. I didn't know you can do this. Luther's picture is about to replace my ugly mug and n our ward directory.
At some point recently there was a change made such that a member of the bishopric or a clerk has to approve all of the pictures you post to your lds.org account. It's super lame...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am

Point taken. I guess that means I'm church mad!

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am
Point taken. I guess that means I'm church mad!
Ha ha ha!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

Luther Heggs

Post by Luther Heggs » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:35 pm

azflyer wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:25 am
Luther Heggs wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am
Corsair wrote:

At some point recently there was a change made such that a member of the bishopric or a clerk has to approve all of the pictures you post to your lds.org account. It's super lame...
Worked for me. Luther's scared face is shining out of the LDS Directory in my ward.
Lies are lies even if you believe them or think you are doing something moral - they are still lies.