Letters to My Dearly Departed Basset Hound

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
achilles

Letters to My Dearly Departed Basset Hound

Post by achilles » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:45 pm

About the time that NOM 1.0 folded, I lost my best friend in the whole world, my beautiful basset hound girl. I think I could have used the support during that time. I've decided to print my letters to her here for catharsis. Feel free to move on if you wish. Or read on! Be sure to have tissues.

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Mindy,

Oh sweetie! I wish so much that I could get down on my hands and knees and hug you once again. To look into your joyful face and let you lick my nose. But now we are separated by the curtains of death, and I can only look at your pictures and try to remember your voice. To try to remember the good times.

One of the reasons I came to live with you was the knowledge that you had only so many days on this earth, and I didn’t want to miss anything. And I am so glad I made that decision. Oh, Moo-Moo, you filled my life with joy! When I lived in Ohio, life was a burden, and I often wished it would end so that I would no longer have to be alone. With you, every day was a beautiful opportunity to care for you and be loved by you. And I thank God for that blessing!

We had many good times. I loved to feed you breakfast and dinner! You always made it very clear when it was time for food: the thumping of your tail, the slow whines—becoming more and more vocal. The playful bucking and nipping at my nose. And the beautiful, baritone woofs! You had so much joy in such a simple thing.

I loved to watch you move about on your daily routine. How you would carefully sniff around the garden with your white-tipped tail up. How you found sunny places to lie down and soak up the sun. How you lapped up water for what seemed like an eternity, and finally found the best places in the house to cool down—the bathroom floor, the laundry room, and the vent under the kitchen sink.

I know that you missed your sister terribly. When Lexi passed away, you were very withdrawn for months. And you began to cry a lot. You would come into my room crying, and I didn’t know what to do other than give you a big hug and tell you that I loved you. When there were fireworks or thunderstorm, and you held your ears back and began to pace and pant, You always came to me. I’ll never forget our thunder song:
♫Freude, schoener Goetterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische dein Heiligtum.
Deine Zauber binden wieder,
Was die Mode streng geteilt;
Alle Hunde werden Brueder,
Wo dein sanfter Fluegel weilt.♫
ode-to-joy-sheet-music.png
ode-to-joy-sheet-music.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 6918 times

And I changed “Menschen” to “Hunde”, just for you. I would sing the song and stroke your fur until you calmed down.

You were so very playful! You loved to chase your brother around the house, zipping around until you were exhausted. And we always howled at least once a day. With or without prompting, you would begin to sing, gradually crescendoing to a full howl. I loved to watch your little chin up in the air, howling with a twinkle in your eye.

Last Janauary was very difficult for us. With Dad gone to China, you became very anxious, and wouldn’t go outside to go potty. You were so anxious about peeing in the house. I had to find a solution for us. It was so cold, but we worked on conquering your fear and anxiety, with help from treats!

I loved to lie near you, kissing your little forehead, petting your fur, and just—being. Sometimes you got up and began to lick my face over and over. And I learned to just let you continue. It made me feel special. It was so important for me to feel like I was special to somebody, and I think you knew that. I told you that I loved you every day. You gave me hope. I knew that you will send hand-picked canine friends my way until it is my time to cross the threshold of night, like I knew you would have to sooner or later. I thought we had hundreds more days, but we didn’t.

It was difficult to watch you in your last two weeks. We knew something was wrong, but we didn’t find it until it was too late. I have guilt about that last day. I knew you wanted to be alone in your pain, but I just didn’t want you to have to face it by yourself. I found you out on the porch, and just lied near you, humming our thunder song. Your breathing was labored, and you began to froth at the corners of your mouth. We took you to the vet for the last time an learned your liver was failing. We went home, and tried to get you your liver protectant and pain reliever but you didn’t want to take them. I let you be for a bit. When I looked about the back door, I could see you had found a spot under a tree on the cool green grass. I had to come out to be with you, and I knew it made you happy. I finally left you alone for a bit. When I looked back out the window, you were struggling to come back inside, but I let you continue. It wasn’t until afterward that I knew you had a stroke. Oh Mindy! I wish that I could go back in time and carry you to the finish line! To hold you close until the end. You came in and lied at the bottom of mom’s bed and slept. I went to my room. At some time there, you breathed your final breath. Mom cried out that you were dead. I should have stayed with you to comfort you until the end!

I saw you lying there, dead. Mom said “She’s with her sister now.” It gave me comfort as I kissed your head and petted you for the last time. It was traumatic hauling your poor little body to the car, and taking you to the freezer at the vet. To see you lying in that freezer.

Mindy! Your loss has left a gaping hole in my heart. All of the color and sunshine has gone out of my life. I am trying to find peace with this. It is so hard. If you are still out there, somewhere, I hope very much that we will meet again, to be reunited forever. I asked you to wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge, and you said you would. I hope that when my final curtain falls, and I pass to the other side, that you will see me, perk up your ears, cry out, and gallop across the grass to meet me, showering me with kisses. And I hope never to let you go!

Until then, I hope that I can talk to you from time to time. I won’t ever forget you, Mindy Moo. I love you.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

StarbucksMom

Re: Letters to My Dearly Departed Basset Hound

Post by StarbucksMom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Achilles, I am so sorry for your loss. The letters are so sweet.

SeeNoEvil

Post by SeeNoEvil » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear Mindy. Your letters were beautiful and touching, bringing tears to my eyes. How fortunate for you and Mindy to be together for such a long time. Thank you for this beautiful tribute and for allowing us to share your grief.
"Every event that has taken place in this universe has led you to this moment.
... The real question is, what will you do with this moment?" - Unknown

"Never arrive @ a point where you know everything - Korihor57

achilles

Post by achilles » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Mindy A.jpg
Mindy A.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
Mindy B.jpg
Mindy B.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
Mindy C.jpg
Mindy C.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:22 am

My heart goes out to you. Dogs are the best.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:10 am

Dogs are the best; they fill a special place in our hearts. I'm sorry for your loss.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

sirensong

Post by sirensong » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:49 am

what a sweet tribute to mindy - thank you for telling us about how special she was to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. (hugs)
and in the end... the love you take is equal to the love you make...
~lennon/mccartney

Caligurl2012

Post by Caligurl2012 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 am

I am so sorry!!!! Hugs!!!! I couldn't bear to read your entire post. I have been owned by dogs for my entire life and they are family. I know how it feels lose a fur-kid - it's a very painful time.

Hugs!!!!

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 am

I'm so sorry, Achilles. That was a sweet tribute you wrote, so thanks for sharing it. Something like this feels like it just leaves a hole in your heart so big that you can drive a truck through it.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:07 pm

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:07 am

Dear Mindy,

It’s been a little over a month since you passed away. I miss you so much, sweetie! Every day I come home and realize you aren’t there to greet me, and my heart hurts. I wish we had known about your liver to we could have treated it. I’m certain that when you got into Lexie’s medicine it hurt your liver. You are a sneaky girl! We were afraid that you might eventually get into something that would kill you. 

I need you, Moo Moo. You transformed my life—I went from “nothing to live for” to a life filled with joy. I am grateful for every moment I spend with you! Even when you would get me up at 5 or 6 in he morning to feed you. I treasure ever hug, every kiss, every walk, every meal-time, even every bath!

I wish that I knew where you are now. Whether you still are—whether you’re OK. Whether you are with your sister. Whether you are happy. Whether I will see you again.

We received your ashes last week. They are in a pretty purple velvet bag stitched with a few words about the Rainbow Bridge. We talked about it—you promised you would meet me there. Your ashes are safe and sound in a beautiful cedar box. (I know it’s not really you anymore, but it’s comforting anyway.

I feel a bit lost without you. All I want to do is sleep. But sometimes when the sun is warm, I like to go out on the patio where you loved to lie down and nap. I feel like you are in the sunshine, encouraging me to cheer up and feel grateful that you loved me.
I don’t know how I can replace you and your influence on my life. Can I? I have told you that you gave me hope that I would never have to be alone—that I could always have canine friends in my life who love me, and whom I can love. Oh how I wish I could look in your eyes and see you thumping your tail again. To kiss you on the forehead, hug you, and tell you I love you.

I hope to write again. Mindy! You special little girl. Take care.

-Achilles

― Carl Sagan

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:08 am

Mindy Ashes 1.jpg
Mindy Ashes 1.jpg (92.13 KiB) Viewed 6928 times

― Carl Sagan

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:48 am

Dear Mindy,

Moo? Moo Moo where are you? I think I can hear your tail thumping...

Moo Moo, I need you. My heart is very heavy. I can’t escape coming to the conclusion that my life has much less purpose without you. I know that I had purpose and happiness long before I met you, so I know I can live without you. I just don’t want to…

Our time together was wonderful, but all too short. I need your affection. I knew that I could come home from work or errands, and you would be waiting for me. You were filled with joy to see me, and it made me feel important to someone. It was deeply soul-satisfying to hug you and pet you. I loved to kiss you and be kissed by you.—I felt happy and satisfied with your companionship.

Death and separation come to all. You have crossed over to somewhere: whether to heaven, or to a spiritual plane, or just into the cosmos, or maybe even to nothingness. I don’t really believe you’re nowhere, though; Yesterday Dad swore that you crawled up on him like you used to and licked his face. I’d like to believe that you’re with us, or can choose to be with us sometimes. I would feel better if I knew you were safe and warm with your sister Lexie. If I knew there was someone there to feed you and play with you, to sit with you and give you hugs when you whimper, and if I knew there was someone to howl with you every day.
I would feel better if I knew I could be with you again. I just don’t know if there is an afterlife. I guess all I can do is hope.

I watched some YouTube videos made by an animal spiritualist. She claims that before we came to earth we made a soul contract. I think I know what yours was—You promised to love me, give me affection, and teach me to find joy in life again. I’m not sure what I promised you… Maybe I’m supposed to open my heart to a loving, affectionate relationship with a special guy. I don’t know if I can let myself do it, though. I do know that I will always have canine friends. Will you do me a favor? Will you send some specially chosen fur friends my way? Maybe not right now—I think your brother Peabody is supposed to have this time to be loved and given affection. But maybe in a couple of years… I’m pretty sure Zeke picked you to be with us. I know you have lots of friends because you are so sweet.

Oh Mindy Moo! Soak up lots of sunshine, run and play with Lexie, eat yummy treats, take lots of naps in secret, cool places, howl with joy, and be happy! Mom and Dad will get there before I do, but I hope you’ll wait for me. I hope to talk to you again soon. I will call you with my heart.
I love you, sissy!

[Howl! Howl! Howl!]

-Achilles

― Carl Sagan

crazyhamster

Post by crazyhamster » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Achilles, I am so sorry to read about your loss. I've felt that if only humans could have the same kind of unquestioning and unconditional love that dogs give, our world would be so different. We're hardly worthy of them.

I know it is still very difficult, but please don't feel guilty. I've already been through all that and it does nothing. She *knows* that she was very well loved and died peacefully in a loving home. Still, I know it sucks. Last year, I lost a beloved parrot who was probably the most snuggly, loving "pet" (I prefer companion), I have ever had, after 14 years with her. I would say I'm still not over it, and in fact I don't think I would ever want to be completely.

Don't be afraid to cry when you feel like it. Heck, I still do it.