HPG/RS Lesson for our Stake this Sunday

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
SunbeltRed

HPG/RS Lesson for our Stake this Sunday

Post by SunbeltRed » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:31 pm

This is the lesson for HPG and RS this Sunday (Opposition in All Things by Dallin Oaks- Ensign May 2016). I am almost tempted to attend and declare myself as "loyal opposition."

Some of the points I might try to make:

-Leaders teach that opposition helps refine us and individuals and that we should see it as learning opportunities. But then bemoan that the church faces opposition. Shouldn't they welcome it as an opportunity for the institution to become better and improve and be more self reflective?

-Much of the "loyal opposition" is what has actually helped move the church forward. Lester Bush's seminal article in Dialogue was instrumental in helping change opinions about Blacks and the Priesthood. Despite how someone might feel about Kate Kelly and Ordain Women without them and earlier Mormon Feminists I don't think the church would have made any of the recent changes they have made in being slightly more friendly to women (i.e women praying in conference, women auxiliary leaders on the stand, including women, though still limited, on some of the church committees.)

-Without "loyal opposition" the church wouldn't have started to become more transparent about the false historical narratives they have taught, and the church themselves should apologize for excommunicating and marginalizing many people who merely pointed out historical facts.

-By Their Fruits: Polygamy is a fruit of JS and earlier church leaders. You don't get to walk away after decades of holding women hostage, indoctrinating members about the "true and everlasting covenant" and then try to wash your hands and say, that has nothing to do with us. All the terrible situations that people find themselves in these polygamous communities is a fruit of the Mormon Church and Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and other leaders. Not to mention many of them feel they have a mandate from John Taylor to be doing what they are doing.

Anything else you might bring up if you attended and felt like going full Korihor on everybody's ass? In reality I probably won't attend, it would really be like a dog barking at a moving train, essentially useless.