A missionary valentine

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Snowdrop

A missionary valentine

Post by Snowdrop » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:48 pm

Today a tbm, single, male friend of mine signed up to feed the sister mishies dinner this month. The only available date was Feb. 14. The guy asked me if this was ok. My mouth could not be stopped from saying that it would be if they read D&C 132 together. I don't think he got it... but he'll be having company on the 14th! :lol:
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon

Corsair

Re: A missionary valentine

Post by Corsair » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 am

These images were blatantly stolen from /r/exmormon where they were blatantly stolen from the Facebook page of LDS.net. But certainly they would be appropriate for dinner with the sister missionaries if your friend wants to emulate Joseph Smith.

The frightening thing is that these were apparently made in earnest by humorous believers, not as satirical jabs from apostates.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 am
These images were blatantly stolen from /r/exmormon where they were blatantly stolen from the Facebook page of LDS.net. But certainly they would be appropriate for dinner with the sister missionaries if your friend wants to emulate Joseph Smith.

The frightening thing is that these were apparently made in earnest by humorous believers, not as satirical jabs from apostates.
While these quotes are crazy funny - I appreciate stuff like this where people can laugh at themselves. Yes, ExMo's see it as fodder to point out the ridiculousness of it, but really it's nice to see people with a sense of humor.

That being said, if you're so desperate to get a valentines date that you gotta invite the sister missionaries for dinner... There's a mormon joke in here somewhere.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:04 pm

It's looking like I need to make the valentines version of a care package for this hilariously awkward event. Those cards are gold!
- Paul Simon

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:23 am

Snowdrop wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:48 pm
Today a tbm, single, male friend of mine signed up to feed the sister mishies dinner this month. The only available date was Feb. 14. The guy asked me if this was ok. My mouth could not be stopped from saying that it would be if they read D&C 132 together. I don't think he got it... but he'll be having company on the 14th! :lol:
So how does that work? Do the sister missionaries have to invite another sister from the ward to go on exchanges with them so they can go inside the single male's home? Or does the single male have to have another brother from the ward show up? Wait, that wouldn't work either. Do they get to go to the appointment but everyone has to sit on the doorstep outside the home so they can all be in plain view of everyone? Bag lunches left on the missionary's front doorstep? Buffet at a restaurant with a "not a sister-wife" sign around the missionary's necks?

Sorry, this was probably a joke only post but I'm straining to suspend disbelief because this is the church we're talking here and because... RULES. :D

I'm just saying. I don't see how this ends in anything other than your male friend having sex with the missionaries. :P
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 am

A missionary valentine? Singles ward edition:

We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am

Well, ward mission pres. DH got wind of this and suggested he invite an elderly widowed sister as well. Not nearly as amusing, but definitely a sweet gesture for this sister.

I would be incredulous of this guy if I didn't know him - he's one of those folks that was homeschooled and gives the rest of homeschoolers a bad name. Nice guy, but blissfully oblivious to sooooo much of the world around him.
- Paul Simon

shadow

Post by shadow » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:33 am

nibbler wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:23 am
I'm just saying. I don't see how this ends in anything other than your male friend having sex with the missionaries. :P

Just, wow. You win this thread.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 am

nibbler wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:23 am
I'd read that thread.