Second ward in SLC that the BP declares...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Raylan Givens

Second ward in SLC that the BP declares...

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Moved into the new ward. The BP met with my family this week. He declared we are a blessing in the ward. Our ward is 75% over the age of 70 (or there abouts). He indicated that whenever a home goes on sale, most of the time it goes to someone not attending the church (NM or inactive). My BP in another part of SLC mentioned the same thing when we moved in this summer. I am a little sad to see how little youth there are, the ward seems to not have the same energy as other wards. I think more youth leave the church at a higher percentage here, than outside the dense Mormon zones. The church makes them different there, and I can see why that is sometimes attractive.

Continuing on: So...Our family is an answer to prayers. That is until he asked about my situation. My wife and I are pretty matter of fact about my non-literal views and her unorthodox version of TBM.

He mentioned he had a calling in mind for me, but needs to think about things... (He knew I was a teacher, so probably working with the youth) he did give my DW a calling, she has TWO activity day girls (8-11 year olds) to work with. She seems happy.

My BP in the Old Pueblo still called me to be YM president after he found out. He told me to make sure the kids have fun and feel like they have someone who cares about them (good advice in my opinion when dealing with teens).

I guess we will see what happens. As another BP once told me, information is the best form of inspiration.

This Marshall is hoping he can just ride the bench for a little while, and not have some silly made up calling dumped on me.

I am a little excited to figure out what my next step is (explore other faiths).

Also, is anyone else seeing the graying of your ward in the SLC area? Seems different than when I lived there the first time years ago.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Korihor

Re: Second ward in SLC that the BP declares...

Post by Korihor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:49 am

Just my opinions. nothing to substantiate them

Most of the chruch "growth" is just people moving around, especially in Utah. As you said, lots of greying wards in well established neighborhoods. Young families move farther and farther out into the suburbs - driving demand for new chapels.

in the ward I left in Utah, as faithful families moved out, the people that moved in were frequently hispanic families without ties to mormonism or younger people getting their first house that don't have ties/commitments to mormonism. The prosperity Gospel requires faithful young LDS families to move to newer bigger houses as they advance in their careers and worship - hence established neighborhood won't attract members to replace those leaving.

Raylan, I'm afraid your BP will simply continue to have a heavier burden placed upon his back.

Wierd, these aren't the type of LDS current events that Carrol Mikita reports on during the General Conference Half-Time report.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Raglan,
I used to live in a very similar ward. Newly wed or nearly dead they called it. Few youth. In fact, all youth activities were held on the stake level. What your bishop is going to do will be important as I see it. He has realized that 1) He can't do everything , 2) he can't be too picky on his volunteer resources. He has to accept that if he wants help, he has to get it from willing people. Even those with different views. It is almost like a middle ground is being developed.
~2bizE

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm

We live in one of those areas that all of the young, active, well-to-do Mormons are moving to. Fifteen years ago there wasn't even a building in our city and now there are four wards. I hate it. My husband is contemplating a job change and we're looking at moving to an area that sounds more like yours. The good part is that in such areas leadership can't be as choosy - it is more like middle ground. That bad part is I might actually be asked to do something!