Best Gospel Doctrine Lesson Ever!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
azflyer

Best Gospel Doctrine Lesson Ever!

Post by azflyer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Yesterday was Sunday number two after getting up the courage to ask a difficult question at a fireside. Shortly after sitting down, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was a Brother in my ward that wanted to let me know he was glad I was willing to stand and ask that question. I wanted to chat, but the BP counselor stood to start the meeting.

During the Gospel Doctrine hour, I caught him in the foyer, and we spent about 40 minutes talking about the challenges and struggles we have in church, and in the church culture. It was so refreshing. It was the most real, honest and genuine discussion I've ever had with a member of any ward I've ever been in. This was probably only the third or fourth time I've ever even said hello to this guy.

So, this has to go down as the best Gospel Doctrine class I've ever had. I mean, it was totally like a gospel doctrine class... except it wasn't in the classroom, and the teacher wasn't there, and we didn't cover the correlated and approved lesson, but except for all of that, it was totally like a gospel doctrine class.

AllieOop

Re: Best Gospel Doctrine Lesson Ever!

Post by AllieOop » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:56 pm

azflyer wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 pm
I mean, it was totally like a gospel doctrine class... except it wasn't in the classroom, and the teacher wasn't there, and we didn't cover the correlated and approved lesson, but except for all of that, it was totally like a gospel doctrine class.
You mean "totally like a gospel doctrine class" except it was an honest and open discussion? :lol:

That's great you have someone in your ward that you can have these types of discussions with. And, it's all a result of you having the guts to openly ask a very difficult question (especially in the setting you were in!). I do wonder if more people would just raise their hand and ask questions in GD, how many would come out as having the same questions and doubts.

How many are sitting there in fear of being found out each week if they open their mouths? I know that was me....so I speak from experience.
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."