YW need to hear from the priesthood

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Korihor

YW need to hear from the priesthood

Post by Korihor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

I don't know if this belongs in support or Doctrinal Discussion
Background - Mrs Korihor has become an ardent Feminist over the last year or so. I fully support her in this. She's not a man-hater type, she knows certain things are better suited for men or women respectively. But she sees the obvious sexism in our culture, especially the church. She is now a Kate Kelley fan.

Mrs Korihor is in YW. Recently, they finished up with Achievement Days. I'm not familiar with the YW program, but they had been preparing for this for a few months. A while ago, the leaders all got together to discuss the program events of the big night.
Someone mentioned that they should invite the BPric to come speak to the YW. Mrs Korihor voiced her opinion that they don't need priesthood to run everything and that the Women in the ward are more than capable to run their own meetings. Mrs Korihor was promptly shut down, everyone else said the girls would benefit from hearing from both their male and female leaders - that both were important. The YW President is old school and said priesthood just needs to be there.
Since she had no other support, Mrs Korihor dropped her argument and they invited the BP to speak. The women leaders thought it would be good for some special one-on-one time between the girls and their bishop. Frankly, Mrs Korihor acknowledges that some "quality time" with the BP isn't necessarily a bad thing.

After the big event, Mrs Korihor and I talked about it. She said it was nice, no big deal to have the BP there.

I asked - If it's so important for the YW to have interactions with the male leadership as well as the female - Why don't the YM ever invite the RS Presidency to speak to them? Why are female leaders never asked to address the males for a balanced perspective?

Mrs Korihor agrees, and it reignited her displeasure with the patriarchy status quo.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Re: YW need to hear from the priesthood

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:30 am

Last Sunday the Relief Society had a lesson on the priesthood and it was done by having priesthood men and boys teach the lesson. One deacon, teacher, and priest each took a few minutes to describe their duties which surely should not be a surprise to anyone in a mature Relief Society like my ward has. If they really wanted a surprise they should ask the older sisters in the room if they recall their mothers or grandmothers giving priesthood blessings to pregnant women back in the 1920s.

Silver Girl

Re: YW need to hear from the priesthood

Post by Silver Girl » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:43 am

Good for Mrs. Korihor! She is right - the emphasis on male dominance is unhealthy.

The ward from which I resigned has a very controlling bishop - some friends told me what happened when he showed up for a YW campout thing & it was so bad, even their 14-year-old (oops - almost 15) hated it. He stood by the campfire and went on & on about how wonderful and important the PH was. Ugh!
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.