Proud to be Mormon

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
shadow

Proud to be Mormon

Post by shadow » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... al_twitter

I recently read this essay in the New Yorker about who we actually are as Americans, written in response to the sentiment at the election results and ensuing actions that "we are better than this." (I promise, this will relate to Mormonism.)

The author presents some examples to counter this feeling of American exceptionalism, arguing that "we are not better than this. We are this." I think there are parallels there to having our eyes opened about the dark side of the church. However, the article turns hopeful at the end, and I'm just going to quote the last two paragraphs:
I was in Lesbos a year ago, helping Syrian refugees. At Moria, the biggest camp on the island, thousands of refugees were being processed every day. The crisis had been ongoing for more than six months. I’d heard that every big N.G.O. had taken a turn at leading the camp, but each one failed because of mismanagement, backstabbing, interagency bickering, governmental interference, what have you. But, as horrid as the situation was in the camp, I thought that it was being well managed, as well as it could be with so many people in and out. I met this unassuming man, a retired Mormon from Utah, who had been volunteering at the camp since the first boats arrived. He spoke no Arabic or Farsi, had no medical training of any kind, none of the identifiable skills, yet both volunteers and refugees sought him out with every conceivable question about what to do. It seems that he had arrived to offer whatever help he could. He slowly began to fill in wherever he was needed. As the N.G.O.s began to wash their hands of the camp, he was needed more and more. When I was there, he was running the damn place.

We are this. We can be better.
I find it very easy to become very cynical with anything Mormon. However, when I read these closing paragraphs, I was reminded of all the wonderful people I have known through Mormonism. I need to not forget that in my frustrations with the institutional church. I understand that Mormons from Utah aren't the only ones filling needs and effecting good in the world, but the example in this essay was unexpected and definitely struck close to home.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

MoPag

Re: Proud to be Mormon

Post by MoPag » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing this Shadow. The church is kind of good at teaching organizational, management type skills; depending on the callings you have of course. :)
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am

I always find it interesting when someone's religion is pointed out like that.

Would his religion have come up if he were a retired Baptist from Texas or Catholic from Indiana? What about Jehovah's Witness from wherever?

I'm sure we're just more tuned to it because it's Mormon, but a person's Mormonism often seems to come up in new stories, be it for good or bad.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am

Vlad the Emailer wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:47 am
I always find it interesting when someone's religion is pointed out like that.

Would his religion have come up if he were a retired Baptist from Texas or Catholic from Indiana? What about Jehovah's Witness from wherever?

I'm sure we're just more tuned to it because it's Mormon, but a person's Mormonism often seems to come up in new stories, be it for good or bad.
Jehovah's Witnesses would absolutely be called out in an article like this. There's fewer of them, they're perceived as (slightly) weirder (I think), and they live a more screened-off lifestyle, so it would be even more remarkable. A Baptist or Catholic? You're probably right.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:12 pm

retired mormon
What does "retired" entail in this case?

Retired from mormonism? (Former mormon?)

Or still practicing mormon, retired from his "worldly" carreer?

:ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Anti-Mormon-Moroni

Post by Anti-Mormon-Moroni » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:26 pm

The comparison to American heritage reminds me of a Descendents song, 'Merican. "I'm proud and ashamed every Fourth of July, you got to know the truth before you say that you've got pride."

I like the American parallel. There's a lot that's unsavory in Mormon history, but I take pride in my heritage. It really is comparable to being an American in this way - American history is both wonderful and terrible, because it's made up of people and people are both wonderful and terrible. It's got issues today, stemming in many ways from the decisions of those in authority. With different leaders, we might have had different problems, but problems are a given.

I consider myself a nuanced believer, and I've had people ask me how I can hold on to my belief and still claim intellectual integrity. What I really know is limited - I know that the seed is good. If I'm honest, the details are window dressing and hope. But there's a lot to be gained from that. With America and Mormonism both, you could say that the 'institution' is perhaps the least of its manifestations.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, nothing much changed.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:12 pm
retired mormon

Oh gosh! When I become fully inactive, I'm going to call myself a retired Mormon.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 am

Give It Time wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:24 am
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:12 pm
retired mormon

Oh gosh! When I become fully inactive, I'm going to call myself a retired Mormon.
Recovering mormon works well too...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:12 pm

That it does.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm proud to be a Mormon
Where God will get his fee
And I obey the men who can
Who give me a Celestial guarantee

And I gladly stand up
Hand to the square and say
I sustain the General Authorities
May God bless them and Amway
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha