A faith transition is a funny thing!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

A faith transition is a funny thing!

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am

So you've had a change of heart in your belief system! :o The belief system you were born into and raised to believe half of the story. The faithful story that ignores the bottom half of the barrel where upon a deeper dive, you learn crazy things that contradict what you once thought was normal. Things like peep stones, and sinking treasures, toads and salamanders, polygamy, step sisters, 14 year old house helpers, and long john underwear designed to keep unscrupulous relationships a secret.

A massacre blamed on indians, a religious tyrant with over 50 wives, polygamous stop-start-stop (for real this time) manifestos and 99 other changing doctrines designed to prop up the never changing simple Gospel. Add in splinter groups that still believe the fundamental teachings of Mormonism whom are rightfully paraded in the news as an abusive cult sect that preys on child brides. Add in a reality TV show that features the daily lives of a goofy haired polygamist and his four individual sized (small, medium, large, and pregnant) wives.

What kind of people has this "religion" created? People who judge you harshly if your shoulders are showing regardless of the fact that your vacationing in Hawaii and a tank top is considered normal by the rest of the human population. People who think you've lost your soul because you found a new interest in a coffee bean, a mild barley drink, and a few good movies that happen to be rated R. Parents who call to check on your underwear, donation habits, and calling status updates.

What kind of monster has this "religion" created? An organization that continues to discriminate against classes of people who desire to love differently. An organization that whined about the definition of marriage when monogamy was wrong and continues to whine about the definition of marriage now. The same organization that writes carefully worded essays, and pounds the pulpit in outcry when former members accuse them of hiding history.

A faith transition is a funny thing! When did we become the broken, displaced, faithless losers who betrayed our history and heritage of weird and crazy things? Weird and crazy things like initiatories and costume play in multi million dollar movie theaters and celestial waiting room lounges in buildings funded by the widows mite! Weird and crazy things like bi-annual interviews with your neighbor to determine if you wear the authorized pattern while you mow the lawn. Or sending your children to confess to the same neighbor if they ironically broke the law of chastity via self abuse or self exploration.

A faith transition is a funny thing! When did we become the lost, the lonely, the angry people who left the church because we could no longer believe? When did we become the crazy people for NOT BELIEVING when reality requires a high level of crazy thinking TO BELIEVE the Mormon story. As Alanis Morissette would sing, "Isn't it ironic, a little bit ironic, don't you think?"
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Newme

Re: A faith transition is a funny thing!

Post by Newme » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:08 am

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurti

It can be really sad - if you feel it, but hillarious if you think about it.
IE: As a NOM going to church or interacting with TBMS, I sometimes feel like Alison in the unbirthday party scene of Alison in Wonderland...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdsZT7WKjW8

Or as Einstein wrote,
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy:
am I or are the others crazy?"

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 am

As always rr very well said. I just think it's people who are not able to climb out of the indoctrination..they have been raised to have Mormon thinking brains. I was raised the same way.

I was raised to believe obsurd things are normal. I wasn't raised to question anything, just believe and obey. It took some real time and self awareness to get out of it. It really is a total Mind F@$)

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:13 pm

I was talking about this with my dad recently. The faithful mormon mind always starts with the notion that the church is true and that whatever crazy stuff Joseph Smith or whoever said or did was somehow commanded by God. Then it is just a process for them of doing a bunch of mental backflips to find a reason why God would command such craziness. If you take away that beginning notion and just look at the truth claims objectively, it is blatantly obvious how corrupt these guys were.

It is so frustrating discussing my faith transition with TBMs and they keep throwing out these insane theories about why God commanded Joseph to marry 14 year olds and other men's wives. "He was a sex predator!! Is that not obvious to you?!"

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

RR this is a great synopsis of a Mormon FC. You probably missed a few things with crazy doctrines and verifiable fraudulent scriptures/revelations.

A little too ironic. Yeah, I really do think!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Red Ryder™ wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am
in multi million dollar movie theaters
And they don't even give you popcorn...or raisinettes! I mean really? WTF?
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

AzCommando

Post by AzCommando » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:14 am

I don't have much to say these days but I have to comment here. Great summary of all the crazy.

KEEP IT UP!

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 am

Funny things can be so sad at times but well penned cowboy poet.

For me the saddest part is that I was one of those judgmental mormons mentally pointing fingers at others who didn't live their religion to my imagined expectations. Makes me ashamed.

Now I am glad to be a part of those who went before us and wouldn't put up with the scheisse being served.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi