The last straw

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

The last straw

Post by Korihor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

I'm done, I'm never going back to SS.

This might very well my very last time attending at all.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Vlad the Emailer

Re: The last straw

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:11 am

Sounds good to me.

Anything you would like to elaborate on?

Maybe later, I'm guessing.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Korihor wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

Yes, there must be a story involved in this announcement

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:24 pm

I'm curious as well. Please share...

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm

My congratulations to our local relief society. They broke Mrs Kori as well today. She's significantly more upset than I am.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm

So what fun activity are you planning for Sunday morning from now on?
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:41 pm

What was the last straw?

Emower

Post by Emower » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Wow, I cant believe you were still going. I stopped SS about 6 months ago. Shortly after I pushed for the Lessons sub-board on here. My new building used to be able to access exmo reddit. Today they have it blocked. I am going to have to start going home after SM.

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Much respect, Korihor. I admire your courage, conviction, and fortitude as I've picked up bits and pieces of your story from past posts. All the best to you and Mrs. Kori, who sounds like she's not afraid to speak up or out - a true Amazonian (hope that doesn't sound sexist - meant as a compliment).
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Korihor wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

I seriously can't wait to hear what took place (if you're comfortable sharing). Either way, I respect your decision.

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Earlier in the week we weren't planning to attend today. mrs Kori told me Saturday that our son was supposed to give a brief talk in primary - crap, now it looks like we're going. He loves going to see his friends and this was his big turn to get up in front of everyone.
How could we deprive him of that? So we skip SM and plan to attend 2nd and 3rd hour. We drop off baby Kori in nursery and then we attend SS. The lesson is on the "law of consecration "

It's going ok. Not my favorite topic ever, but meh, whatever. The the teacher plays some audio from Neal A Maxwell. I'll find a link to the whole talk, but it sent me over the edge. Basically you have to be a perfect parent because if you do one little thing wrong then your kids won't belive in the church and thier kids won't belive and so on. And it will be all your fault. Then it got even worse. I don't recall exactly what was said, I was Fuming inside and left the class. I went to the foyer and made the original post above.

3rd hour began and I went to primary with our son. His talk was about "what did Jesus teach us". I help him along by asking him simple questions about Jesus and he responded with "love everyone, be kind and share, etc." i can live with that. I stayed with him because he was happy to have me there. The rest of primary got boring fast, I'll detail more later, but he was getting restless and I was not happy being there. "Why am I making my son suffer through this??" I thought. "This is all insanity and I'm not making him sit still anymore for nonsense. "

So we walked out of primary like we were going to the bathroom and went outside. We just walked around the grounds a bit and found this really I interesting looking insect. We had a little plastic cup and captured it. I traded my sons salvation for a beetle today, and it was worth it.

As church was ending we went back inside and he was so excited to show everyone this bug. I think I made the right decision. That bug made him happy instead of being told to sit still and listen to drivel.

We find Mom and Baby and head home. Mrs Kori is very upset from the lesson in RS. She says it was much worse than SS. She just says he heart was crushed and she's terribly saddened. We get home and she sends a text message to our BP that church was just too much, she disagrees entirely with "what is taught" and she won't be coming back for a while.

So I was pissed off enough just from the SS lesson to vow not to return. Then things got really interesting after that.

Note - Emower - we have been attending somewhat sporadically the past few months. So I haven't been in SS every week. Additionally, i would pick and choose which classes/SM i would attend or simply sit in the foyer.

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 am

sorry to hear you had such a negative experience.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.