3mormons youtube channel

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

3mormons youtube channel

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Well this is interesting. 3mormons youtube channel looks like a targeted approach to use hip youngsters to try and answer the tough questions. The blacks and the priesthood episode is quite disturbing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2LBmY ... ZC14i_YkIg

oliver_denom

Re: 3mormons youtube channel

Post by oliver_denom » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm

That's too cringey to watch. Sorry, I tried.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 am

oliver_denom wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 pm
That's too cringey to watch. Sorry, I tried.
That was painful to watch. I imagined so many ways to respond to this video but I have more productive things to do like binge watch "Arrested Development". Frankly, these particular Mormons are happy with their lives and beliefs and simply don't seem interested in a detailed, critical review of nearly every LDS belief. They appear to be happy, productive young adults and I wish them well.

It might be fun to get them in a discussion with the similarly Millennial "Zelph on the Shelf" hosts. But I imagine that both sides would come away firm in their beliefs and hoping each other goes on to live a happy life even if they profoundly disagree on many subjects.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 am
That was painful to watch. I imagined so many ways to respond to this video but I have more productive things to do like binge watch "Arrested Development".
AD BOM.png
AD BOM.png (222.22 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Steve Holt!!!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 am

In the first video, the word Christian and Christianity comes up at a rate of nearly 10-50 times the frequency as it would in a normal LDS Sunday School discussion, especially in terms of describing fellow LDS members as Christian. Usually, that term is reserved for "the others" who are not one of us. Trying to portray a sense of normality in regards to the perceptions of non-Mormons, makes it seem surreal to those of us who experience such actual conversations on a day-to-day basis.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:32 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:29 pm
The blacks and the priesthood episode is quite disturbing:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2LBmY ... ZC14i_YkIg
Yes, that apologetic compulsion to lie and claim the Church never said their racial purity, ban against those of African descent, was from God. They made this claim many times throughout the years, clear up into the later half of the 20th Century. Apologetics is such a bad way to address the issue since adding a new layer of lies complicates the original problem and eventually will need its own explanation. Just say they screwed up with their racism, offer a sincere apology and leave it at that. There will be a need to rinse, lather and repeat this process for as long as that aspect of our history is an issue. No rationalizations or cover stories are needed and supplying them is less than helpful.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm gonna be sick
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

I've seen a couple uploads. How come there's usually only 2 Mormons on 3 Mormons?

I wonder if these guys are popular with young people? Yeah, I find them awfully cringe-worthy but my kids are into some pretty cringe-worthy youtubers. Only 2300 subscribers...better than my channel though. :D

Does anyone recognize the intro music and general style. It seems really familiar...like one of the Green brothers channels or something. It's so familiar I'm thinking it might be blatantly ripped off but I can't place it...

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm
I've seen a couple uploads. How come there's usually only 2 Mormons on 3 Mormons?

I wonder if these guys are popular with young people? Yeah, I find them awfully cringe-worthy but my kids are into some pretty cringe-worthy youtubers. Only 2300 subscribers...better than my channel though. :D

Does anyone recognize the intro music and general style. It seems really familiar...like one of the Green brothers channels or something. It's so familiar I'm thinking it might be blatantly ripped off but I can't place it...
According to Jonathan Streeter they are funded by the more good foundation which is itself funded by the church. I wonder if the hosts are compensated.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Wow.

I actually wasted some time and watched a couple of those. Those are definitely some impressive mental gymnastics.

Probably more proof that the church isn't going away any time soon... :(
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:07 pm

We're right; you're wrong; even if you think we're wrong, we're right. Now you don't need to watch any of them.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:21 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:06 pm
Jonathan Streeter has the energy to respond:

https://youtu.be/2c6gY7QfT8k
So, I made it through the "response" video...

The thing that keeps coming to mind for me: Are these kids actually aware that they are blatantly lying? Or are they just following a pre-approved script?

Personally I'm leaning toward them knowing they are lying. Some of those "nervous/forced" laughs are pinging my guilt-o-meter. Or maybe I'm just a complete apostate troll...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander