Bill Reel Gets Ultimatum from Stake President

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Bill Reel Gets Ultimatum from Stake President

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 am

Last evening, Bill Reel received a warning from his stake president who, in company with Bill's bishop, paid him a visit at his home.

The ultimatum was quite simple and not unexpected:

Either cease and desist your podcasts and posts critical of the LDS Church or get excommunicated.

Oh yes, he was allowed the option to resign, as well.

The interesting thing was that the stake president was quite open about the pressure he has been receiving from Salt Lake to move against Bill; that the stake president has waited for six-months in spite of this pressure, but that now his hand was forced.

The stake president will be reporting to his leaders today on his meeting with Bill.

AllieOop

Re: Bill Reel Gets Ultimatum from Stake President

Post by AllieOop » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 am

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 am
The interesting thing was that the stake president was quite open about the pressure he has been receiving from Salt Lake to move against Bill; that the stake president has waited for six-months in spite of this pressure, but that now his hand was forced.
Well, that's new (the part I put in bold italics). Most leaders have adamantly denied that this takes place and it's been pounded into members that all disciplinary actions take place on a local level. Many have been VERY defensive about this issue in the past.

It's at least good to see that they're being honest this time around.

Do you think Bill will resign?
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 am

My guess is that Bill takes it to the high council and goes down in a blaze of glory. Bill is a good guy, but he's had enough. He's also been picking this fight for a while, so I doubt anyone is surprised.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Just guessing from Bill's more recent podcasts that he's going to make the church take the action, which is good for him. The most examples that we have of the church trying to snuff out opposition, the more it exposes them to their extreme fear of the truth.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Can’t imagine Bill is suprised.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:42 pm

He should get in touch with NewNameNoah about getting some discreet recording devices.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:22 pm

You don't even need discreet devices. Just get a voice recorder app for your smart phone. Phone are so common these days that no one will think twice about seeing one.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 pm

Church leadership is playing "Wack a Mole" with dissidents; and the moles seem to be multiplying like rabbits.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 am
My guess is that Bill takes it to the high council and goes down in a blaze of glory. Bill is a good guy, but he's had enough.
I hope so. They have given him three options, two forms of caving and one stand-your-ground option. Bill is the ultimate example of a good, honest guy who was only looking for truth and willing to give the church every possible opportunity to be true, but ultimately having to go with evidence over mandated "truth." I hope he will stand his ground and I hope this gets some visibility: Mormon Church Kicks Man Out For Unrepentant Honesty.

Go Bill!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah, Bill has basically been asking for this for a while now. I don’t blame him for making the church give him the excommunicated badge. It seems harder to maintain any inside credibility if you resign. It will be fun to hear how he brings up all the counter evidence in his ‘court of love’ (assuming they let him speak).
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Any ideas as to which apostle is tightening the screws?

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm

What recent event forced the Stake President's hand? Was it something that Bill recently had on his website or was it an ultimatum from HQ or both? Is Bill holding up okay?
Last edited by moksha on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:50 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:48 pm
What recent event forced the Stake President's hand? Was it something that Bill recently had on his website or was it an ultimatum from HQ? Is Bill holding up okay?
Sometimes I wonder if I were to compile my own online activity regarding the church and send it to my SP, if that would do the trick. :lol:

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:54 pm

moksha wrote:
What recent event forced the Stake President's hand? Was it something that Bill recently had on his website or was it an ultimatum from HQ or both? Is Bill holding up okay?
Whatever he did, I hope he can let us know. I'd love the excommunication badge. :lol:

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:01 pm

moksha wrote:
His stake president actually told him that, after reviewing some of his comments, he is surprised Bill wasn't excommunicated a long time ago.

But then again, this is the stake president who has been sitting on directives to move against Bill for six months now.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:02 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:50 pm
Sometimes I wonder if I were to compile my own online activity regarding the church and send it to my SP, if that would do the trick. :lol:
A message board expressing your opinion is not the same as world-famous podcasts. However, if you put 95 of your posts into a PDF format and nailed them to the door of your local ward website (especially if you were in the Wittenberg Stake) that might do it. Did you denounce indulgences in any of your posts?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:03 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 am

Do you think Bill will resign?
Bill will not resign.

Nor will he be told what he can say or how he can say it.

This is headed for the gunfight at the OK Corral.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:03 pm
Bill will not resign.

Nor will he be told what he can say or how he can say it.

This is headed for the gunfight at the OK Corral.
Good for him - I am looking forward to watching this unfold... how many people can they silence until they realize the problem is the church and not the people pointing it out?!

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:31 pm

More stake presidents need to grow a pair and tell HQ to eff off. Of course they will get replaced like Dehlin's SP did.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:32 pm

In my opinion, if Bill goes down fighting, he gets a place in the latter day book of martyrs.