History between JS, Rigdon, & Cowdery; BofM and Priesthood

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Arcturus

History between JS, Rigdon, & Cowdery; BofM and Priesthood

Post by Arcturus » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:01 am

I think I've seen this discussed somewhere on NOM before. Sorry if this has been asked one or more times... Also, someone has likely already formulated the thoughts below so I apologize if I'm coincidentally rehashing an old discussion.

Does anyone know the earliest possible date that Rigdon and Joseph Smith crossed paths? The official history has Rigdon reading the BofM at the end of 1830 and jumping on board then.

I ask because of the study (ref'd below) that textually examines the BofM suggests Rigdon as the primary author. What is interesting to me is that the only other BofM scribes aside from Cowdery were Emma and Martin Harris, and their "assisting work" was solely done on the 116 missing pages (am I wrong on this point?). That would leave Cowdery as the sole scribe working on the post-116 manuscript with Joseph. I see this as curious with the timely entrance of Rigdon, in relation to the BofM's publication, as well as the messy priesthood restoration.

I was just reading Dan Vogel's article on the priesthood restoration (ref'd below), and he makes some interesting comments about Cowdery. We also know that Rigdon was likely influential in getting Joseph's mind on the subject of priesthood as Rigdon was formerly a Campbellite.

Quote from Vogel on suspicious Cowdery involvement in priesthood restoration narrative:
September 1834 –– In a letter to WW Phelps in Missouri, Oliver Cowdery (with Smiths help) wrote the first account of his and Smiths ordination by an unnamed angel in May 1829, which was published in the Messenger and Advocate the following month. Significantly, Cowdery began by stating that he hoped that his account would "prove especially beneficial by confirming [Phelps and the Missouri church] in the faith of the gospel," and then made the startling disclosure: "The angel of God came down clothed with glory his voice, though mild, pierced to the center, and his words/I am thy fellow servant/ dispelled every fear. We received under his hand the holy priesthood, as he said, upon you my fellow servants, in the name of Messiah I confer this priesthood and this authority, which shall remain upon earth, that the sons of Levi may yet offer an offering unto the Lord in righteousness!"

By putting the Malachi 3:3 apologetic in the angels mouth, Cowdery created an anachronism, because the notion of a greater and lesser priesthood, with the lesser being associated with the Levitical priesthood, wasn't part of the discourse until September 1832 when Joseph Smith dictated his revelation on priesthood. The term "priesthood" is also anachronistic since it wasn't used until June 1831 in connection with the high priesthood. The term did not even appear in the June 1830 (April 10, 1830) Articles and Covenants. Note also that Cowdery's use of the term "holy priesthood" is consistent with Smiths 1832 History but inconsistent with the September 1832 revelation, which links the term with the High or Melchizedek Priesthood. The motivation for introducing the story of angelic ordination seems to be internal conflict and Smiths effort to create a hierarchical structure that would align other church leaders under his authority and make him less vulnerable to usurpers and prevent his organization from splintering. It should be observed that the introduction of this angelic ordination story not only enhanced Joseph Smith's leadership, but it also raised Cowdery to prominence as a co-receiver of special authority. It would not be long before Cowdery's new status would be officially recognized.

December 5, 1834 –– Oliver Cowdery was ordained an assistant or co-president by Sidney Rigdon. In Joseph Smiths "large journal" (later used as Manuscript History book A-i), Cowdery recorded that Smith ordained him "to the office of assistant President of the High and Holy Priesthood in the Church of the Latter-Day Saints" and then explained: "It is necessary, for the special benefit of the reader, that he be instructed into, or> concerning the power and authority of the above named Priesthood. First, The office of the President is to preside over the whole Church; Second. The office of Assistant President is to assist in presiding over the whole Church, and to officiate in the abscence of the President, according to their <his> rank and appointment, viz: President Cowdery, first; President Rigdon Second, and President Williams Third, as they are <were> severally called."

Note that that these counselors were not ordained in that order, that Cowdery was last. Concerning his sudden rise to the second highest office in the church, Cowdery went on to explain: "The reader may further understand, that Presidents <the> reason why <High Counsellor > Cowdery was not previously ordained <to the Presidency, > was, in consequence of his necessary attendance in Zion [Missouri], to assist Wm* W* Phelps in conducting the printing business; but that this promise was made by the angel while in company with President Smith, at the time they received the office of the lesser priesthood. And further: The circumstances and situation of the Church requiring, Presidents Rigdon and Williams were previously ordained, to assist President Smith."

There are two problems with Cowdery s explanation. First, Cowdery's claim that he and Smith were told about the offices of president and assistant president of the high priesthood is doubtful and anachronistic for the May 1829 setting. The high priesthood wasn't introduced until June 1831, and a president of the high priesthood wasn't revealed until the following November in response to the challenge of bishop Edward Partridge. Even then, counselors for the president weren't provided until March 1832.

Second, Cowdery's excuse for the delay of his ordination is also suspicious since there had been more than ample opportunity before December 1834. Most notably, Smith and Cowdery were reunited in late April 1832 when Smith made a second visit to Missouri with counselors Sidney Rigdon and Jesse Gause and was sustained as president of the high priesthood on the 26th. Cowdery returned to Kirtland in August 1833 to continue printing there following the destruction of the press in Missouri. While there were many opportunities to ordain Cowdery, none were as obvious as when Cowdery assisted Joseph Smith on April 19, 1834, and "confirmed upon" Sidney Rigdon authority as first counselor "to preside over the Church in the abscence [sic] of brother Joseph." When Smith left Kirtland for Missouri the following month at the head of Zions Camp, Rigdon rather than Cowdery presided over the church for the next three months. So Cowdery s elevation was sudden and unexpected, but it paved the way for Smiths subsequent hierarchical innovations, which he had previously resisted.
What I'm getting at is ---> Does the priesthood restoration timeline give support to the Spaulding-Rigdon theory of BofM authorship? If JS, Cowdery, and Rigdon were all colluding on the BofM, then it is not surprising to see them all involved in centralizing power in the church via priesthood, which was possibly Rigdon's contribution to Joseph's theology. If it was collusion, then if I were them I would certainly want it to appear that Rigdon had nothing to do w/ Joseph pre-1830, so as to eliminate suspicion of Rigdon being involved in authoring the BofM. Maybe behind the scenes Cowdery was pissed off for being left out of the hierarchy whilst away in Missouri. Being a part of the BofM creation, he wanted his share of influence while Joseph and Rigdon started to operationalize priesthood authority and perhaps had leverage to get what he wanted.

Overall, I see the following to be very curious: 1) Rigdon as a primary co-author of the BofM (Jockers et al. 2008); 2) Rigdon's timely entrance into Mormonism shortly following BofM publication; and 3) evolution of priesthood authority with Joseph, Cowdery, and Rigdon largely benefiting from the seizing of power (Vogel 2014).

Note that I am no historian. This may be naive speculation on my part and clearly dismissible based on history and nuances I'm not aware of.

Thoughts?

--- --- --- ---
Refs:

BofM Textual Analysis Study (Jockers, Witten, and Criddle 2008):
https://academic.oup.com/dsh/article-ab ... 65/1039019

Dan Vogel Article:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/43200577?s ... b_contents
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Palerider

Re: History between JS, Rigdon, & Cowdery; BofM and Priesthood

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Sidney Rigdon had been "prophecying" to his congregation in Kirtland that a "restoration" was imminent and that a book of scripture was about to come forth that would be instrumental in that restoration of the Gospel. This was some time before he had supposedly met Smith.

So he had an entire congregation prepped and ready for baptism into Mormonism before he ever supposedly met Joseph Smith.

Mormon leadership like to point to this as God preparing the hearts of the people for the coming church.

I'm of the opinion that Sidney had inside knowledge about Joseph's work. If an individual is naive in the church they can buy all of the "spiritual confirmation" propaganda but when you see all of the rest of the shenanigans pulled into the light, these "faith promoting" stories begin to smell like bad fish.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Are you suggesting Rigdon was an opportunist?

It seems that there were a lot of these guys in early Mormonism.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:52 pm
Sidney Rigdon had been "prophecying" to his congregation in Kirtland that a "restoration" was imminent and that a book of scripture was about to come forth that would be instrumental in that restoration of the Gospel. This was some time before he had supposedly met Smith.

So he had an entire congregation prepped and ready for baptism into Mormonism before he ever supposedly met Joseph Smith.

Mormon leadership like to point to this as God preparing the hearts of the people for the coming church.

I'm of the opinion that Sidney had inside knowledge about Joseph's work. If an individual is naive in the church they can buy all of the "spiritual confirmation" propaganda but when you see all of the rest of the shenanigans pulled into the light, these "faith promoting" stories begin to smell like bad fish.
I didn’t know this little tidbit about Rigdon telling his congregation about a restoration and a book before he supposedly met Smith. Begins to sound like he was in on it from the beginning. I did know there were writing analysis of the BoM and parts of it showed him as author. Which has always been a puzzle.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:32 pm
Are you suggesting Rigdon was an opportunist?

It seems that there were a lot of these guys in early Mormonism.
Maybe not an opportunist but he held strong views about how a "restored" church would look. One of those views was what some would call communistic in that he felt the true church should hold all properties in common ownership. Whether he planned to make profit of that culture one can only guess. He may have been sincere.

He attempted to persuade the Mahoning Baptist association to follow this path but was overridden by Alexander Campbell. Being roundly rejected I think he may have thought to use Joseph Smith to accomplish his ends but surprisingly, Joseph got the upper hand and came out on top in the power struggle for leadership of the new church. Sidney couldn't win for losing.....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:32 pm

I didn’t know this little tidbit about Rigdon telling his congregation about a restoration and a book before he supposedly met Smith. Begins to sound like he was in on it from the beginning. I did know there were writing analysis of the BoM and parts of it showed him as author. Which has always been a puzzle.
Yep. There are numerous witnesses.

Said Darwin Atwater, a Patriarch in the Disciples Church at Mantua:

That he [Rigdon] knew before of the coming of The Book of Mormon is to me certain, from what he said the first of his visits to my father's some years before [at about the close of January 1827]". "He gave a wonderful description of the mounds and other antiquities found in some parts of America, and said they must have been made by the aborigines. He said there was a book to be published containing an account of those things. He spoke of these in his eloquent, enthusiastic style as being a thing most extraordinary."

George Washington

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:24 am

Palerider wrote:
Wow, this is fascinating Palerider. Can you link me to the exact source you got this from if you can recall it? I think this is some decent evidence for the Spaulding-Rigdon theory of authorship.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:25 am

I didn't know Rigdon was anticipating a divine book, but he was a restorationist and was waiting for God to bring back the ancient church. Even if he was not complicit in the creation of the BoM, he was certainly primed to accept it when it came along.

I am a bit leery of word print analysis. I have seen FARMS/FAIR apologists refer to a different analysis that shows that the BoM was written by as many ancient authors as it claims. Others, like Earl Wunderli's, show Joseph and Oliver as the principle authors.

I have heard good arguments for and against the Spauling-Rigdon theory with very bright people on both sides. I guess what that says to me is that there is inadequate evidence to definitively put Rigdon in the middle of BoM authorship. Personally, I don't think Rigdon was necessary. I think too many people buy into the ignorant farmboy strawman and fail to appreciate Joseph's genius.

My biggest question is why Rigdon would specifically seek out Joseph Smith to deliver the book. If the theory is correct it looks like he needed someone other than himself, who appeared to have special gifts to deliver the book and then recede into to the background? I guess Joseph might have fit the bill but Rigdon didn't anticipate Joseph's ego, charisma, and ambition for stealing the show? Joseph did seem to think for a little while that his primary work was done after he produced the BoM, but then he (or Rigdon) dreamed up the priesthood and things really took off again. The way I have always read this is that the BoM failed to generate the income Joseph expected so he needed to move on to Plan B. Just publishing a book didn't get him the girls anyway.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 am

Arcturus wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:24 am
Palerider wrote:
Wow, this is fascinating Palerider. Can you link me to the exact source you got this from if you can recall it? I think this is some decent evidence for the Spaulding-Rigdon theory of authorship.
I highly recommend this site. It has one of the most comprehensive timelines I've seen on Rigdon and Cowdery. Lots of stuff here. Great place to start.

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/criddle/rigdon1.htm#22

George Washington

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:25 am

My biggest question is why Rigdon would specifically seek out Joseph Smith to deliver the book. If the theory is correct it looks like he needed someone other than himself, who appeared to have special gifts to deliver the book and then recede into to the background? I guess Joseph might have fit the bill but Rigdon didn't anticipate Joseph's ego, charisma, and ambition for stealing the show?
Rigdon had tried to be a mover and shaker in the "restoration movement" but his doctrine of having all things in common as the economic foundation for what would be the new church, was soundly rejected by Alexander Campbell. In the process of that rejection, Campbell kind of publicly burned Sidney's butt. I think he felt rejected by many of his peers as a result.

Finding a way to begin working towards a newly restored church again without publicly being the instigator of said church would allow Sidney to essentially say, "See, here's ancient proof (BofM) that my doctrines were correct and it's coming from an independent source (Joseph Smith).

He then could insinuate himself into a leadership position and have his church his way. But as you have pointed out Hagoth, Sidney underestimated Joseph's charismatic personality and having a bit of a pretty face.

Absolutely, Joseph was quick on the uptake and was willing to work with Sidney as a means to an end, just as he had used Martin Harris for his money. He would use Sidney until he didn't need him anymore or as long as he behaved himself. Joseph wasn't too bad of a "scriptorian" but Sidney could expand his knowledge and probably was responsible for bringing in the plagerized Adam Clarke commentary used to aid in the "retranslation" of the Bible.

Think about the fact that Sidney apparently had no ethical problem plagiarizing the Adam Clarke biblical commentary along with Joseph. They were both in on the "Inspired version". They worked on it together.

Does that begin to look like a pattern when one considers the possibility of collusion on the BoM?

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 am
Does that begin to look like a pattern when one considers the possibility of collusion on the BoM?
Oh yeah, it certainly seem plausible, just lacking in any kind of smoking gun evidence. There's no question that these two were a great tag team when riffing on doctrine, as demonstrated by their performance when they conjured up D&C 76.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."