Oaks speculation

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Reuben » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
Hey Donald G, what the hell is wrong with you? No one gives a sh!t what the girls in your ward want to call their classes. And you shouldn't either.
You do have to admit that MIA Maids was an incredibly stupid name.
Yes, but Helen Kimball wore it well.
You were born to trust, not fear. It is your birthright.

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Reuben wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm
Yes, but Helen Kimball wore it well.
Once young Helen married Joseph, she could no longer go to her Middle School dances.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Not Buying It
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 am

MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am
Here's a suuuuper cringy invitation

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... s?lang=eng

Oh and they are talking about Nephi "go and do all the things the Lord commands...." so that's not good.

Maybe I will do a live thread here in NOM to cover this clusterf$%k. Gonna need a lot of pink Moscato...
Dang, MoPag, your comment must have embarrassed them, the link isn't working anymore...not even if you click the link from this page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... e?lang=eng .

Hey Cob lurkers, you've got a broken link, you'd better get on that.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

User avatar
Not Buying It
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:05 pm
Reuben wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm
Yes, but Helen Kimball wore it well.
Once young Helen married Joseph, she could no longer go to her Middle School dances.
Sorry to go so far off topic, but this is one of the reasons I think what Joseph did to Helen was so creepy even if he didn't sleep with her (and who knows if he did or didn't. Except Brian Hales. He knows everything). She was kept from having a normal life, and for what? So some creepy almost 40 year old guy could claim her as one of his many wives?

Even if Joseph hadn't ever slept with any of this wives - and even Brian Hales must know he did - he still did some really creepy things that messed all of their lives up good. You cannot possibly make polygamy virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy no matter what you do.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 4087
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm
You do have to admit that MIA Maids was an incredibly stupid name.
Anybody remember M-Men and Gleaners? That's very fuzzy in my memory; it was when we were still meeting in a cave on the shores of Lake Bonneville.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
Brent
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:43 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am
Here's a suuuuper cringy invitation

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... s?lang=eng

Oh and they are talking about Nephi "go and do all the things the Lord commands...." so that's not good.

Maybe I will do a live thread here in NOM to cover this clusterf$%k. Gonna need a lot of pink Moscato...
Dang, MoPag, your comment must have embarrassed them, the link isn't working anymore...not even if you click the link from this page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... e?lang=eng .

Hey Cob lurkers, you've got a broken link, you'd better get on that.
Given this: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -students/ it's entirely possible they've "got all the questions" they need. Let's be frank, they are going to sort to get the questions they want. If things are getting swamped with inappropriate questions closing the link makes sense. All they have to say is "Due to the amount of feedback we've had to close the forum to questions. Thanks for the thousands of thoughtful questions." FULL STOP.

In reality they probably have the questions they want and are looking for "authors" so they have names to put to questions.

lostinmiddlemormonism
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
Hey Donald G, what the hell is wrong with you? No one gives a sh!t what the girls in your ward want to call their classes. And you shouldn't either.
You do have to admit that MIA Maids was an incredibly stupid name.

I've actually and vocally advocated for:

Deaconesses
Teacheresses
Priestesses.

It's great watching the old guys heads spin.

-lost

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 2507
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Brent wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:43 am
Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 am
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am
Here's a suuuuper cringy invitation

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... s?lang=eng

Oh and they are talking about Nephi "go and do all the things the Lord commands...." so that's not good.

Maybe I will do a live thread here in NOM to cover this clusterf$%k. Gonna need a lot of pink Moscato...
Dang, MoPag, your comment must have embarrassed them, the link isn't working anymore...not even if you click the link from this page: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bro ... e?lang=eng .

Hey Cob lurkers, you've got a broken link, you'd better get on that.
Given this: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -students/ it's entirely possible they've "got all the questions" they need. Let's be frank, they are going to sort to get the questions they want. If things are getting swamped with inappropriate questions closing the link makes sense. All they have to say is "Due to the amount of feedback we've had to close the forum to questions. Thanks for the thousands of thoughtful questions." FULL STOP.

In reality they probably have the questions they want and are looking for "authors" so they have names to put to questions.
Oh, to be a fly on the wall and see all of the questions.

I would very much like to know what percentage are "Faithful" questions, and what percentage are "Why do you out-of-touch octogenarians keep lying to us about this crazy sh!t?"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

We are secrets to each other

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 am
Anybody remember M-Men and Gleaners? That's very fuzzy in my memory; it was when we were still meeting in a cave on the shores of Lake Bonneville.
Googled these and found these Church names from the past:
For example, today there is the Young Women organization. But it wasn't always so. The group started as the Young Ladies' Relief Society. It was also referred to as the Young Ladies' Retrenchment Association, the Young Ladies' National Mutual Improvement Association, the Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Association and the Aaronic Priesthood MIA Young Women — all before today's title.

Today's Primary groups — nursery, Sunbeams, CTRs and Valiants — used to have a variety of nicknames.

Here's a partial list of some of the names and abbreviations previously used in the church:

A.C.M.I. — The Arizona Co-operative Mercantile Institution, the title for a short-lived Arizona version of ZCMI.

Beacons — This was a short-lived title for 8-year-olds in the primary, starting in 1953.

Bluebirds — These were 10- and 11-year-old girls, starting in the 1926 Primary organization. Later, they were just the 10-year-olds.

Children's Friend — Original name of The Friend, a church magazine for young children, from 1902 to 1970.

Co-Pilots — This was the title for Primary 7-year-olds in 1952.

Deseret Sunday School Union — Original name of the church's Sunday School program.

Firelights — In 1960, this was the 10-year-old Primary girls.

Gaynotes — The 9-year-old Primary girls in 1959 used this title, as part of the revised Liahonas (Little Homemakers) girls program.

Junior Sunday School — A standard church program for about 50 years, starting in 1933.

Juvenile Instructor — The official publication of the church's Sunday School, from 1866 to 1930. The name was simplified to Instructor, until it ceased publication in 1970.

Improvement Era — The original name of today's Ensign magazine, from 1897 to 1970. There was also a Relief Society Magazine, from 1914 to 1970.

Larks — Primary girls, age 9, used this name in 1929.

Lihomas— This was an umbrella title for all older Primary girls in 1940.

M-Men and Gleaners — Young men and young women departments in the church's MIA program, for ages 17-23, that began in 1921.

Merrihands — Eleven-year-old girls in 1959 were called Merrihands.

Merry Misses — What 9-year-old Primary girls were once called.

Mi-kan—wees — Starting in 1929, this was the name for 12- and 13-year-old girls (sounds like a Reformed Egyptian name)

Moonbeams —A past nickname for Sunbeams, the youngest Primary class.

Rainbows — A former name for 6-year-old Primary children.

Stars — What 4- and 5-year-old primary children were nicknamed.

Seagulls — Use of the name began in 1922 for 12-and 13-year-old girls. Later, the Seagulls were 11-year-old girls.

Targeteers — A past nickname for 8-year-olds in the Primary.

Trekkers — Previous name for 10-year-old Primary boys.

Vanguards — Part of the YMMIA program for boys, ages 15-16, from 1928 to 1933, until the Boy Scouts began an Explorers program and the church adopted that.

Ward teaching — Original title for today's home teaching, until 1964.

Zion's Boys and Zion's Girls — These were the 7- and 8-year-olds starting in 1928. They were also known as Zeebees and Zeegees for some 20 years.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 4087
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:32 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 pm
Gaynotes — The 9-year-old Primary girls in 1959 used this title, as part of the revised Liahonas (Little Homemakers) girls program.
Oh man, I wish they would bring this back for the new scouting-replacement program. Little homemakers for the YW and Gaynotes for the YM.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 2294
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by MoPag » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:51 pm

Brent wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:43 am

In reality they probably have the questions they want and are looking for "authors" so they have names to put to questions.
Yep. I super doubt there is a kid from Utah, in the year 2020, who is named Donald. It sounds like the brethren were trying (and failing) to make up names that would work. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Apologeticsislying
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:56 pm

Little Mormons sounds good doesn't it? ;)
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

User avatar
w2mz
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by w2mz » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm

I remember singing - “We are, We are, We are the Targeteers!” Lol

Also, I still have my Blazer Banner somewhere in a box.

Regarding Oaks, I think he’s drunk on his own righteousness and really believes god is that voice in his head that coincidentally hates the same people he himself does. He’s a douche. Not sure if I can say that here, but that’s my opinion of him.

I personally won’t be watching the farce-to-farce with the staged questions, but I imagine DW will watch with DS.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 4087
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm

w2mz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm
He’s a douche. Not sure if I can say that here, but that’s my opinion of him.
Normally no, but sometimes the shoe fits. ;)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Moonbeams — A past nickname for Sunbeams, the youngest Primary class.
I still remember our old theme song, "Jesus wants me for a Moonbeam (here we held up our little hands above our heads) to shine for him each day".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
no1saint
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by no1saint » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:22 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm
moksha wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:53 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am
Hey Donald G, what the hell is wrong with you? No one gives a sh!t what the girls in your ward want to call their classes. And you shouldn't either.
You do have to admit that MIA Maids was an incredibly stupid name.



I've actually and vocally advocated for:

Deaconesses
Teacheresses
Priestesses.

It's great watching the old guys heads spin.

-lost
OMG! I can’t stop giggling.

User avatar
Angel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Angel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:53 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:03 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:08 pm
Sorry. I hate phone typing. Plus why cant you all read my mind yet? :D
To be fair, the Spirit of Discernment is just as accurate for me now as it was when I was a believer. It's also just as helpful for a series of bishops and stake presidents who continue to sign my temple recommend.
Haha, I once marched someone back in after their temple recommend interview because they lied and I knew it... bishop did not know it... they came out of their second interview without a recommend, and I scolded the bishop for not being a judge in Israel :lol:
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar
Angel
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am

Re: Oaks speculation

Post by Angel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:56 am

w2mz wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:14 pm
I remember singing - “We are, We are, We are the Targeteers!” Lol

Also, I still have my Blazer Banner somewhere in a box.

Regarding Oaks, I think he’s drunk on his own righteousness and really believes god is that voice in his head that coincidentally hates the same people he himself does. He’s a douche. Not sure if I can say that here, but that’s my opinion of him.

I personally won’t be watching the farce-to-farce with the staged questions, but I imagine DW will watch with DS.
My oldest daughter will be watching, which makes me ill :( Can anyone suggest any good de=programming videos to have her watch? or just a meme? something fast that will capture the essence before she has a chance to look away?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests