Sacrament meeting topics

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

Sacrament meeting topics

Post by 20/20hind » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:46 pm

The topic for the speakers was the holy ghost. How many times have we all heard a lesson or talk on this subject? And all three speaking never mentioned christ or biblical prophets at all, not once. However, we did get quotes from many current and dead general authority members and of course monson.

MerrieMiss

Re: Sacrament meeting topics

Post by MerrieMiss » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 pm

20/20hind wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:46 pm
The topic for the speakers was the holy ghost. How many times have we all heard a lesson or talk on this subject? And all three speaking never mentioned christ or biblical prophets at all, not once. However, we did get quotes from many current and dead general authority members and of course monson.
That was our topic too. I tuned out however, so I have little to no idea what people actually talked about. Second hour I took a drive and listened to Beethoven's Egmont Overture. It was far superior to sacrament meeting.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Its just so monotonous. Same stuff all the time.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 pm

I do remember the intermediate hymn was Praise to the Man. Yes, I skipped that.
20/20hind wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:52 pm
Its just so monotonous. Same stuff all the time.
Also, yesterday I told my husband I'd go to fifth Sunday with him. He says I don't give the new bishopric a chance. So I said I'd try. When I got back to church after my drive, my husband was chatting in the hall with several other people. When I asked why he wasn't in the meeting he replied, "It's on missionary work." Enough said. Even TBMs hate hearing this stuff. I don't know why anyone thinks that drilling the same crap in week after week will make anyone want to come.

For the past couple years I've told this to my Visiting Teachers. "Don't read me the message. I'm capable of reading, and I've read and heard it all before. Tell me something insightful you think." Most of them are willing to forgo the message. There are always a few hold outs who really think they have to drill the same old message once again. At which point my eyes glaze over and I wonder how long until I don't have to nod and smile anymore.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:47 pm

A few good SM topics I'd like to hear:
1) Human sexuality
2) The real BoM translation process
3) How the church gets in the way of living the gospel.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:22 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:54 pm
Second hour I took a drive and listened to Beethoven's Egmont Overture. It was far superior to sacrament meeting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP7RnuCmM00
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

True Believer

Post by True Believer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:10 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:47 pm
A few good SM topics I'd like to hear:
1) Human sexuality
2) The real BoM translation process
3) How the church gets in the way of living the gospel.
While you are making crazy suggestions for Sacrament Meeting topics, I have a few more ideas to give
1) Communicating appropriate boundaries and learning to respect others boundaries
2) Assertive communication skills and avoiding passive aggressive behaviors
3) Taking time off for yourself and learning to enjoy life through good self-indulgence