Coke at BYU is the Latin Mass

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Coke at BYU is the Latin Mass

Post by moksha » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:21 pm

As you know, Coke and Pepsi are still verboten at BYU, even though its usage has been normalized by the rest of the LDS Church. This is similar to what happened with the Latin Mass, when the Catholic Church unclenched and allowed the Mass to be performed in the native language of the country. Those who valued tradition and mystery above understanding resisted and so you can still find Catholic Mass conducted in Latin in some churches.

That is the case with BYU, where nonsensical custom and obedience are valued over normalization and thus Coke and Pepsi remain off limits to BYU students.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Coke et Pepsibus, non licet!
Last edited by moksha on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Re: Coke at BYU is the Latin Mass

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Can students buy Red Bull or Monster energy drinks on campus? The cola restriction seems like another virtue signalling tactic that only impresses the most devout Mormons. Luckily, the existence of silly rules in the Honor Code has convinced my most scholastically oriented daughter to skip the BYU schools entirely.

azflyer

Post by azflyer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:59 pm

I've been thinking that with Elder Uchtdorf's GC confession of consuming a celestial beverage that this might have changed a bit. I wonder what it would take to get Coke and Pepsi in the vending machines at BYU?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:07 pm

After the FP came out and said caffeine wasn't part of the WoW, a group at BYU petitioned to have caffeinated beverages. The response was that behave never had them because there was not a demand from students and teachers. Like anyone believed that.
~2bizE

Snowdrop

Post by Snowdrop » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm

There are professors who keep mini fridges stocked with the forbidden liquid and simply request that you leave fifty cents on the fridge if you feel the need to have a can. Not the same as having the stuff available in a vending machine, but it does create a kinship between those who follow the straight and narrow a little differently. :)
I don't believe we were born to be sheep in a flock
To pantomime prayers with the hands of a clock
- Paul Simon