Shannon Montez Part 4

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Shannon Montez Part 4

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:20 am

This Mormon Stories podcast has so much information. If you have the time, this is worth your while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=HivE1b5KLuc
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Shannon Montez Part 4

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Whoa, it's 4 hours long and its part FOUR. I'll do my best.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm

I listened today while working - it's really fascinating.

When I first started researching church history, apologists were so insistent that BH Roberts was only playing devil's advocate to these issues and was not writing this as his own reflection, but listening to Shannon Montez makes it beyond clear that these writings were his conclusions from his research.

There have been some amazing podcasts in recent months, and I am grateful to have switched to a listener that plays at a faster pace... 1.75x is good for me on these. :lol:

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:47 pm

That lying to Congress part around minute 40 started to get gripping, but it just got better from there. Glad John Dehlin was as well prepared as he was.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:25 am

It just reflects how those in charge of an organization that gains some level of power will lie and mislead to protect their position and power. The mormon church is no different. You would hope they would have higher standards, but they do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:23 am

This is one podcast that should be watched from start to finish since it is packed with so much information.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:04 pm

I liked the part where Anthony Ivans was about to win the governor's seat as a Democrat and then they sent him on a mission to Mexico.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:44 am

Montez mentions footnotes in the 1878 printing of the BoM that identify identify geographic locations, which she included in her dissertation as appendix C. I tried to cut and paste them, but that was prohibited, so here are a few tidbits:

1 Nephi 13:10: Many waters = Atlantic Ocean

1 Nephi 13:17: Mother Gentiles = The British

1 Nephi 22: 7: mighty nation = The United States, our seed = Lamanites

Mormon 6:2: The Hill Cumorah is in Manchester, Ontario co. New York (Note: this is talking about the final battle which limited geographers now place in Mesoamerica)

Ether 9:3: Ablom = Probably on the shore of the Eastern United States

Ether 11:6 (describing he Land of Desolation): Heaps of earth = The ancient mounds of N. America

Ether 15:2 (describing the death toll of the Jaredites): two millions = including wives and children, the numbers, very probably, must have been from ten to fifteen million.

Ether 15:8: Ripliancum = supposed to be Lake Ontario

græy

Post by græy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:19 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:25 am
It just reflects how those in charge of an organization that gains some level of power will lie and mislead to protect their position and power. The mormon church is no different. You would hope they would have higher standards, but they do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DW and I have had similar conversations regarding SO MANY facets of the church. Through conversation I mention something odd or unsettling the church has done or is still doing. Her response, "Any regular corporation would do that to protect themselves." But how many times can God's one true church get into trouble and behave like "any regular corporation" before it becomes literally indistinguishable from "any regular corporation?"
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 pm

I'm still not finished with this episode but there is a fascinating pattern emerging. People start to stray from orthodoxy and immediately get sent into the refiner's fire of a mission to get them away from the saints and hammered back into shape.