Illusory Truth article.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Illusory Truth article.

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:59 am

We've all read articles like this before, but I thought this was worth sharing: https://fs.blog/illusory-truth-effect/
FIREHOSE PROPAGANDA
This was interesting: "Firehose propaganda is predicated on exposing people to the same messages as frequently as possible. It involves a large volume of content, repeated again and again across numerous channels: news sites, videos, radio, social media, television and so on. These days, as the report describes, this can also include internet users who are paid to repeatedly post in forums, chat rooms, comment sections and on social media disputing legitimate information and spreading misinformation. It is the sheer volume that succeeds in obliterating the truth. Research into the illusory truth effect suggests that we are further persuaded by information heard from multiple sources, hence the efficacy of funneling propaganda through a range of channels."
Just think of General Conference. :o
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Re: Illusory Truth article.

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:34 am

I haven't read the article, but when it comes to the Illusory Truth Effect: To me, the LDS Corporation™ has basically been a study in the Illusory Truth Effect since correlation.

Think about it: We rotated basically the same four "manuals" in "Sunday School" for how long? We learned the same things, we asked the same questions, and we gave the same answers, over and over and over. If you asked an "inappropriate" question, you either got shot down instantly, or ended up in the principals office.

The Church of the Illusory Truth Effect of Latter-day Sheep.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:37 pm

I think the "firehose propaganda" phrase describes the MTC perfectly. It's a good description of EFY, the temple, etc. They, the church literally want to SOAK you. Ugh. :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:46 am

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

It is interesting to me how many of us have mellowed through the past eight years or so after having our shelves come crashing down, finding out that the church that many of us heard about on our mother's knee, so to speak, and believed in is as artificial as a waterfall in Las Vegas. Nowadays when we hear something that we feel is nonsense or a flat-out lie regarding religion, and instead of reacting like we used to, we let it go, file it away in the rubbish bin that we've created and which is getting pretty damned full; Noah's ark, non-existent stone boxes that golden plates were placed in together with the golden plates themselves, stories of battles where fifteen thousand men were killed in a day yet there's no evidence of any battle like that anywhere in North or South America. Or how Jesus is sad, oops- offended - because the Mormon church has been and is still called the Mormon church, or LDS, or who knows what else, but it never really bothered or "offended" Jesus until ol' Nelson came along and filled in the gaps to all the apostles, prophets, and Mormons for the last almost 200 years who used those terms with a clear conscience. But now we know the "truth". Right. (sigh)

Anyways, I for one am grateful that many of the "true" things regarding Mormonism that were and are testified about are as my non-member dad used to say, bull s**t. Thought he was so wrong then, and so right now, let him rest in peace.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell