Surrendering your moral compass to authority figures

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Surrendering your moral compass to authority figures

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 am

On the most recent LDS Discussions episode on Mormon Stories (https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/p ... evelation/), Nemo the Mormon said,
The moral compass of the current leaders is evident, in that they say, "well, we don't have to give over information in Arizona because legally we have clergy-penitent priviledge, so we're going to lean into that and say 'well the law says... so sorry kids." When it comes to protecting children from child sexual abuse, they're like, "ah, well the law says we don't have to report this, so we won't." But when the laws says they should have reported 13f filings as one as one company, they're like, "mmm, don't fancy it." So, they're happy to not listen to the rules when it comes to making themselves money, but they will listen to the rules when it helps them cover up child sexual abuse? Is that the moral compass you want to lean on and get rid of your own by saying, "well, I'll just listen to them"?
I think he picked two excellent examples that show that their moral compasses are spinning. Maybe God is sending them down Wrong Roads™ so they'll figure it out on their own, but they're just a little to feeble-minded to pick up on the subtleties? Maybe it sounds sinister to you and me because your moral compass and mine are a little less corroded and misaligned than theirs? Maybe the COB was built over a chunk of iron ore that makes their compasses unreliable?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Surrendering your moral compass to authority figures

Post by jfro18 » Mon May 01, 2023 11:49 am

I think Nemo felt like he was being too critical there, but it's a point that needed to be made about how the church picks and chooses when to stick to the moral argument and when they stick with their own interests and it's really striking when you see how that lines up.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:35 am

I just listened to that today! Great point, and yeah maybe it was picking on them a bit, but I think those were two good examples of a church acting in its OWN best interests rather than simply trying to do the MORALLY RIGHT or ethical thing even when it might be temporarily embarrassing.

In the long run, I think apologies with course corrections would go much farther in promoting the good name of the church.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 02, 2023 1:15 am

The Church chooses not to report crimes and protect victims because they believe silence will protect them in lawsuits. The Brethren have prioritized money as their moral compass.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Tue May 02, 2023 8:28 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 am
On the most recent LDS Discussions episode on Mormon Stories (https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/p ... evelation/), Nemo the Mormon said,
The moral compass of the current leaders is evident, in that they say, "well, we don't have to give over information in Arizona because legally we have clergy-penitent priviledge, so we're going to lean into that and say 'well the law says... so sorry kids." When it comes to protecting children from child sexual abuse, they're like, "ah, well the law says we don't have to report this, so we won't." But when the laws says they should have reported 13f filings as one as one company, they're like, "mmm, don't fancy it." So, they're happy to not listen to the rules when it comes to making themselves money, but they will listen to the rules when it helps them cover up child sexual abuse? Is that the moral compass you want to lean on and get rid of your own by saying, "well, I'll just listen to them"?
I think he picked two excellent examples that show that their moral compasses are spinning. Maybe God is sending them down Wrong Roads™ so they'll figure it out on their own, but they're just a little to feeble-minded to pick up on the subtleties? Maybe it sounds sinister to you and me because your moral compass and mine are a little less corroded and misaligned than theirs? Maybe the COB was built over a chunk of iron ore that makes their compasses unreliable?
I think it is the big pot of gold that the church is sitting on that makes their moral compass unreliable, nothing to do with magnetism and more to do with mammon.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun May 14, 2023 3:28 pm

Groupthink, tribalism requires not just surrendering your moral compass, but surrendering your entire compass in all things. United we stand, divided we fall - from soldiers to football players to orchestras - united unquestioned blind obedience to authority - conformity. Wear the team uniform, march in step, follow the conductor or the orchestra will turn on you.

An orchestra - playing your part in it, being part of a group like that. - I played in a jazz band too with creative liberty, but enjoy classical more. A pity that groupthink is required to feel connected like that.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 am

Angel wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:28 pm
Groupthink, tribalism requires not just surrendering your moral compass, but surrendering your entire compass in all things. United we stand, divided we fall - from soldiers to football players to orchestras - united unquestioned blind obedience to authority - conformity. Wear the team uniform, march in step, follow the conductor or the orchestra will turn on you.

An orchestra - playing your part in it, being part of a group like that. - I played in a jazz band too with creative liberty, but enjoy classical more. A pity that groupthink is required to feel connected like that.
Too right Angel. I'm betting that not a single one of us feels that we should compromise our personal moral principles, allowing evil so that in the end good and righteousness will prevail. That's nonsense and anyone who is able to reason knows it.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:03 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:21 am
Angel wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:28 pm

Too right Angel. I'm betting that not a single one of us feels that we should compromise our personal moral principles, allowing evil so that in the end good and righteousness will prevail. That's nonsense and anyone who is able to reason knows it.
I'm currently reading "The Happiness Hypothesis" by J. Haidt -some interesting ideas there. Haidt argues that moral judgments are primarily driven by intuitive, emotional responses rather than rational reasoning. Combine this with groupthink - where groups prioritize consensus and conformity over critical thinking - and it is lose/lose illogical moral compass situation. Moral Dumbfounding = strong moral intuitions without rational justifications for moral judgments.

Haidt's solution to bring us back to rational thought is practicing mindfulness meditation -gain attention and focus. Embrace the present moment, become more aware of thoughts, emotions, and sensations - meditate to increase self-control and emotional regulation.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson