Respect

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Respect

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 23, 2024 9:41 am

Is it just me, or do Mormon leaders seem to demand absolute respect for themselves and their belief system while being the least likely to extend a similar degree of respect to others?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

dogbite

Re: Respect

Post by dogbite » Thu May 23, 2024 7:13 pm

They demand respect because they have a position and title. Even though they have not acted now or the past in ways that earn the respect they claim to simply deserve.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun May 26, 2024 4:11 pm

The male leaders especially; even 19 year old- now 18 year old- missionaries seem to be affected by the adulation of members. It can be detrimental, as RM’s get their egos puffed up, and then deflated by real life relationships.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun May 26, 2024 4:11 pm

The male leaders especially; even 19 year old- now 18 year old- missionaries seem to be affected by the adulation of members. It can be detrimental, as RM’s get their egos puffed up, and then deflated by real life relationships.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri May 31, 2024 8:53 am

Most (maybe not all) male leaders are happy to be affable as long as you are looking at them with starry eyes and a bobble head gesture.
But ask too many difficult questions or disagree with what they say and you'll find out just how seriously they take themselves.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 31, 2024 9:49 pm

The true monk should walk on rice paper and leave no footprints rather than walk away with tithing money in his pocket.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:24 am

Yes leaders demand respect because that church title stokes their ego !!! It's all part of the plan. If you have a title you are to think of yourself as this super righteous person just because you are the bishop or stake president . They want the respect but refuse to reciprocate it to the average members !! When I was off the church roles for 2 years but still attended with my wife no one even talked to me they didn't want to catch the sickness of being an apostate !! I regret ever agreeing to be rebaptized I should have called my wife's bluff about her divorcing me if I didn't come back to the church. I think leaving the church for good is somewhere in my future.
By their fruits ye shall know them

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:27 am

In their minds...

Even though everyone is entitled to personal revelation, I'm entitled to that plus revelation relevant to lead everyone within my stewardship. The more sheep in my fold, the greater the stewardship. I've been directly taught that God works through me to guide and direct you. Ergo, I'm blessed with greater gifts of the spirit necessary to do that job. Since, like many people, I've got the natural human motivation to achieve and feel good about myself, I want very much to do what I feel I am supposed to do. Lead and direct you. I must have done something good to deserve this calling, so I'll continue doing what I've been doing and mimicking the leaders above me because obviously I've been given this calling for a reason. So I will exercise my authority and follow the spirit, and since I'm expected to feel it better than you, I will tell you what you should do and always feel justified in my words and actions because I'm being led by the spirit.

I don't have to apologize because I'm being led by the spirit. I don't have to explain myself because God asks that we have faith. I have very very little check and balance on my behavior. The less checks the higher I ascend gaining priesthood power, until maybe some day I'm at the very top and I can do things I've always wanted to do. I can be unleashed.

It's all BS but that's what is in their minds.

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:27 am

Very well said !!
By their fruits ye shall know them