Louisiana Requires Ten Commandments in Classrooms

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Louisiana Requires Ten Commandments in Classrooms

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:40 pm

From today's NY Times:
Louisiana Requires All Public Classrooms to Display Ten Commandments
A law signed by Gov. Jeff Landry on Wednesday makes the state the only one with such a mandate. Critics have vowed to mount a constitutional challenge.

Gov. Jeff Landry signed legislation on Wednesday requiring the display of the Ten Commandments in every public classroom in Louisiana, making the state the only one with such a mandate and reigniting the debate over how porous the boundary between church and state should be.

Critics, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Freedom From Religion Foundation, vowed a legal fight against the law they deemed “blatantly unconstitutional.” But it is a battle that proponents are prepared, and in many ways, eager, to take on.

“I can’t wait to be sued,” Mr. Landry said on Saturday at a Republican fund-raiser in Nashville, according to The Tennessean. And on Wednesday, as he signed the measure, he argued that the Ten Commandments contained valuable lessons for students.

“If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.”
I really hope this goes to trial and Mr. Landry gets schooled in ancient history. Hammurabi was the original law giver, from whom the Ten Commandments were more or less plagiarized.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: Louisiana Requires Ten Commandments in Classrooms

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:08 pm

I have my popcorn ready for this one. Should be good. I’m sure the church of Satan will step up and request they be included in schools as well.
~2bizE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:35 pm

If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.
As I was reading along I thought for sure they were going to say, "from the original law giver, God."

But no. Moses. Moses is good too... I guess.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:03 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:35 pm
If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.
As I was reading along I thought for sure they were going to say, "from the original law giver, God."

But no. Moses. Moses is good too... I guess.
This was my thought as well. God is the law giver.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:15 am

Maybe this is a underhanded gift to state lawyers. The 1st amendment people are going to have a field day with this. So the question is how long before the gets thrown out. They have tried this in the past with various government spaces and it always gets thrown out.

Of course, the sad part is the next question is how long after this gets thrown out will the religious extremists get a persecution complex and claim that it the media attacking their religion...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:40 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:08 pm
I have my popcorn ready for this one. Should be good. I’m sure the church of Satan will step up and request they be included in schools as well.
for your consideration, the Seven Tenets of the Satanic Temple:
I One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
These would actually be more appropriate hanging on a classroom wall, since they don't mention any supernatural beings or mandate behaviors based on magical beliefs (e.g. that one day of the week must be regarded as holier than others). Either that or make a version of the Ten Commandments that doesn't mention YHWH at all.

Of course, what these guys really want is to get this in front of the Supreme Court, that now has a conservative evangelical bias, and can no longer be relied upon to make rulings based solely on constitutional law.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:06 pm

I think this assault on the US Constitution is in anticipation of Donald Trump and the dissolution of the United States. States that join in with the new Confederate States of America (unless they call it Trumpland) will readily adopt this practice as well as Americanized versions of fascist symbols and celebrations.

Utah, Southern Idaho, and Northern Arizona will all join to bring back the Kingdom of Deseret. Who knows what the rest will do?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:15 am

This was about 4 months ago when a bill was put forward in Utah legislation to allow chaplains to be in public schools. The Satanic Temple enthusiastically responded in favor.

https://utahnewsdispatch.com/2024/02/28 ... ked-point/
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:04 pm

Just for context, who is bringing up and passing these laws? Are these Right wing Gen X? It feels like Gen X is starting to fail us…
~2bizE