Russell's Death Spiral

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Russell's Death Spiral

Post by Hagoth »

Y'all know Nelson's story about the flaming death spiral he survived on a flight to St. George. I decided to look up the FAA report on this terrifying calamity and found it, of all places, on FAIR:

"The FAA’s summary of the incident involving President Nelson’s plane reads:

Second incident occurred Nov. 11, 1976 involving Piper PA 31 N74985. Pilot experienced rough engine on scheduled flight between Salt Lake City and St. George. 3 passengers on board. Engine was feathered and precautionary landing made at Delta, Utah, per instructions in company manual. Investigation revealed cylinder base studs sheered. As result of occurrence Sky West changed maintenance procedures by checking torque studs at each 100 hour inspection. No damage to aircraft. No injuries to crew or passengers (Dockets 27907, 27908, Hughes Airwest, Deletion—order 77-4-50 adopted April 11, 1977; included in Civil Aeronautics Board, Economic Decisions of the Civil Aeronautics Board, Volume 73 (1977), 1090; cf. 1087–1090).

The stuff of nightmares!

FAIR then goes on to imagine that there probably really was a fire and a death spiral, but that it just didn't get mentioned in the report. They do not address Nelson's claim that they were forced to make a crash landing in a farmer's field, which the report clearly shows to be a lie.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."
moksha

Re: Russell's Death Spiral

Post by moksha »

Hagoth wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:47 am Y'all know Nelson's story about the flaming death spiral he survived on a flight to St. George. I decided to look up the FAA report on this terrifying calamity and found it, of all places, on FAIR:
Didn't this happen right after Paul H. Dunn played right base for the San Diego Chargers when he got back from leading the charge on Iwo Jima?

At Discuss Mormonism, they found several other whoppers that President Nelson told.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha
2bizE

Post by 2bizE »

The report also must have failed to mention the cleaning of bodily fluids/solids from three seats in the main cabin.
~2bizE
Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy »

Radio Free Mormon has covered several of RMN's fish stories that fall apart when you look into them. It looks like accurate memory isn't one if RMN's gifts.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams
2bizE

Post by 2bizE »

For those who haven’t seen this, but here is the Mormonism live video where Bill and RFM talk about this spiral death dive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fz4iQk1M9 ... cGxhbmU%3D
~2bizE
moksha

Post by moksha »

moksha wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:32 pm At Discuss Mormonism, they found several other whoppers that President Nelson told.
https://discussmormonism.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=709

The proof against the Death Spiral Tall Tales shows up on page 74. The Civil Aviation records recorded this non-emergency landing. It happened at the Delta Aiport (created in 1943) instead of Nelson's reported farmer's field.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha
Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom »

Doesn’t (pardon the pun) Trump’s miraculous survival trump Rusty’s???
I mean here we have a guy who’s never used olive oil except perhaps in various sex acts being “saved by God” in a way that’s there’s verifiable proof of a “miracle”. We have still shots and footage actually showing a bullet flying through the air as Trump suddenly turns his head.
If there were such things as miracles then that certainly beats anything TSCC can prove happening to protect its hallowed leaders.
Hagoth

Post by Hagoth »

I've been travelling and haven't been following NOM. Yesterday when I finally sat down to take a look I saw this thread, not realizing that it was one I started and thought it was going to be about Nelson's current medical condition.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha »

Hagoth wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:55 am I've been travelling and haven't been following NOM. Yesterday when I finally sat down to take a look I saw this thread, not realizing that it was one I started and thought it was going to be about Nelson's current medical condition.
President Nelson is looking forward to his 100th Birthday Celebration Extravaganza.
-- Moksha
MoPag

Post by MoPag »

Hagoth wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:55 am I've been travelling and haven't been following NOM. Yesterday when I finally sat down to take a look I saw this thread, not realizing that it was one I started and thought it was going to be about Nelson's current medical condition.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought the same thing!!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound
Angel

Post by Angel »

moksha wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:41 pm
President Nelson is looking forward to his 100th Birthday Celebration Extravaganza.

So what happens when dimensia sets in? Just use artificially generated deep fake videos, who is really running the show?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
wtfluff

Post by wtfluff »

Angel wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:30 amSo what happens when dimensia sets in? Just use artificially generated deep fake videos, who is really running the show?
Who is running the show?

Are you asking who is running the "show" as far as the current PR forced on unsuspecting victims? As in: Who's in front of the cameras giving speeches? As far as the last conference was concerned, Rusty was still able to put on a show in pre-recorded speeches. Oaks is still able to put on a bit of a show - though he doesn't look good. Then there's Eyring and Holland - the next two in line? Neither of them looks well - or all there. The rest of the stooges in line for the biggest of big-red-chairs look like they're doing fine in front of the cameras.

Who's running the Corporation "show?" Again, the top four - I doubt any of them are able to fully participate in their duties running the board of directors. From the outside, I'd say that Bednar and Cook are helping Oaks in the corporation's operations... Maybe they're letting the Silver Fox™ participate also - but again from the outside, it looks like he's blacklisted and on the naughty list.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Gave up who I am for who you wanted me to be...
moksha

Post by moksha »

wtfluff wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:27 pm Maybe they're letting the Silver Fox™ participate also - but again from the outside, it looks like he's blacklisted and on the naughty list.
Uchtdorf's messages were too Christian (that love of Jesus stuff is decidedly anti-Mormon) and his popularity drew attention from the rest of the Brethren.
-- Moksha
Angel

Post by Angel »

wtfluff wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:27 pm
Angel wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:30 amSo what happens when dimensia sets in? Just use artificially generated deep fake videos, who is really running the show?
Who is running the show?

Are you asking who is running the "show" as far as the current PR forced on unsuspecting victims? As in: Who's in front of the cameras giving speeches? As far as the last conference was concerned, Rusty was still able to put on a show in pre-recorded speeches. Oaks is still able to put on a bit of a show - though he doesn't look good. Then there's Eyring and Holland - the next two in line? Neither of them looks well - or all there. The rest of the stooges in line for the biggest of big-red-chairs look like they're doing fine in front of the cameras.

Who's running the Corporation "show?" Again, the top four - I doubt any of them are able to fully participate in their duties running the board of directors. From the outside, I'd say that Bednar and Cook are helping Oaks in the corporation's operations... Maybe they're letting the Silver Fox™ participate also - but again from the outside, it looks like he's blacklisted and on the naughty list.

If "true" believers considered attributes of the original NT 12, who were confused, couldn't heal, couldn't walk on water, little faith, doubting, deniers of Christ, betrayer - Christ killers. ... perhaps under such considerations it becomes evident it's better run our own show... betrayal leads to introspection... For those with TBM's in family, remind them all of the lesson of Judas as they watch their failing faltering falling leaders. Remind them even God forsook and abandoned Jesus.
A good question to ponder, God, why forsake - lots of scriptures with "forsake", but the one to really ponder - My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Ask the TBM's, what they believe the lesson of Judas is, the lesson of God betraying Jesus is.

The escape from authority - finding your own light. Not given, not taught, found within.

No borrowed light I suppose. When the branch brakes, you find your own wings or die.

No borrowed light, no outside authority... is it possible to hint to others so the transition isn't as painful for them?

Haha, late night full moon ramblings :). Moonbeam blessing to you all.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
moksha

Post by moksha »

Perhaps we could be more forgiving of ginned-up conference talks if we thought of Mormonism as being grounded in folklore rather than history.

Stories deemed outrageous at a history lecture might fit well at a Sci-Fi lecture. Consider the possibility of unleashing the Mormon creative mind in various conference talks. We could hear about pills that made the apostles small and pills that made them ten feet tall. I would like to hear stories of Authorities who were beamed up to Enochian or Kolobian space vessels and probed to determine their righteousness. No death or destruction and burning fires, but something soothing and out of the ordinary. Perhaps something like a vanishing Cheshire cat who sneaks up and taps you on the shoulder saying, "You are way cool and special, Russell" during your flight to St. George.
-- Moksha
Hagoth

Post by Hagoth »

Angel wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:30 am who is really running the show?
I think it's Jim Henson.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth »

moksha wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:57 am
Perhaps something like a vanishing Cheshire cat who sneaks up and taps you on the shoulder saying, "You are way cool and special, Russell" during your flight to St. George.
Isn't it interesting how many talks have a theme (often riding just underneath the purported theme) of how special LDS church leaders are, even though they don't really do anything special beyond reassuring themselves and their cronies of how special they are. All the more fascinating when you realize that even the stories of their specialness are often fabrications. And even at that, their not really all that amazing; plane has a temporary engine failure, a home invasion robbery isn't as successful as the invaders had hoped for. Quite a step down from parting the sea, raising the dead, and walking on water.

Angel

Post by Angel »

Hagoth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:39 am
I think it's Jim Henson.
That's a show I'd watch :)
Hagoth

Post by Hagoth »

Angel wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:34 pm
Hagoth wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:39 am
I think it's Jim Henson.
That's a show I'd watch :)

moksha

Post by moksha »

Hagoth wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:30 am Image
Which session of the General Conference was this from?
-- Moksha