The Remnant

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Re: The Remnant

Post by Linked » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am

asa wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 pm
I suppose most would say I am in with both feet. However I am still involved with the Corporate church and hold teaching positions etc there. In that regard I am not unusual . I intend to continue serve where I can including HT , substituting in the GD class etc as long as I am permitted to do so. Many of the people with whom I associate feel similarly . A number have been excommunicated and so are unable to do so.
The Remnant sounds like something my dad would really get into. We used to meet with other families to discuss the deeper doctrines as a kid, and my dad has always been disappointed with the lack of actual miracles. Part of me would like to introduce him to it, though I must admit my reasons are far from charitable. I mostly want to poke another hole in the church's hold on my family. But if that also helps him find something that makes him happy, is that still bad?

Asa,feel free to ignore these questions, but I think they would help me understand what to tell my dad if you are willing. Are you happy you found The Remnant? Would you prefer to be moderately happy and accepted by the general church leadership/membership including possibly family members who would be disappointed or have The Remnant and the looming possibility of excommunication? Do you feel closer to or further from the agnostic/athiest exmo community?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Anyone hear of any updates on this group & Doctrine ? I have only heard that they gathered in Idaho and 600 attended waiting for some Doctrine to come out . Will be interesting.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:26 pm

I wonder how the remnant will manage false doctrine Developing within the remnant. New ideas will grow into new "truths" in an organic way until there will be lots of revelations for everyone to believe in. The structure today is for the remnant to meet in study groups of a few families and discuss the old gospel of JS. I predict that will grow into so many different beliefs that nobody will know what really is Remnant doctrine vs false doctrine...not that it will be fore false than the original doctrine anyway...
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:40 am

I read somewhere that Snuffer presented a document that was revealed to him through direct Josephsmithian revelation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am

Lady_Macbeth wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am
It's a different kind of difficult that I don't know how to handle. The Remnant way of thinking has taken care of his biggest shelf items.
That is no fun. I cannot imagine jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire of more devotion to a weirder movement. I really hope things can work out for you. Can you tell more about how this appeals to him?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 am

Looks like it has hit the newsfeed:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... rom-church
Does anyone know what's different about the newly canonized versions of the scriptures?

I'm warming up the the corn popper in anticipation of how the church is going to deal with this. Suddenly us doubters don't seem like such a threat.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 am
I read the church survives now on its BIC numbers....but this SHOULD be alarming, because it appears most of the youth leave anyway (but are counted of course--since we want to show a good face even though its a lie)...
Threadjack -
We maintain contact and relationship with a family in our previous ward in SLC. Their oldest son left on a mission and returned early for mental health as we hear is so common. He's actually a really cool kid/guy. He met who became his wife when they were high school sweethearts. But she was nevermo. He converted her and baptized her. Then he went on a mission. Came home, year+ later got married in the temple in Oct 2015.

If any of you remember, this is the same couple that I was the unofficial marriage officiant.

They haven't been to church for over a year. I reached out to him to hear his story. His wife is out too. She really only joined and did the temple marriage thing because she thought it was the only way to be with him and felt a ton of pressure being in Morridor. Sad.

Anyway, he said he has been soooo much happier and felt better after leaving the church. The pressure, mind control and crazy culture was toxic for him. He never had mental health concerns as a mission. He had mental clarity and couldn't conform to insanity.

The upcoming generation won't put up with nonsense.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

Culper Jr. wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:47 pm
I ran into Rock Waterman's blog early on and started to (wanted to) believe along the Remnant line of thinking. Basically that Joseph was great, and that the church went off the rails with Brigham. I guess I wanted to salvage something from my years of service in the church.
^Same. Rock's blog really broke through my TBM mind in a way that nothing else could. His blog was what led me to NOM 1.0 . I really owe him a lot. But the Remnant path just wasn't for me.

Asa- thanks for your insights. It's great you have found your path.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm

SL Trib: ‘The Lord has extended his hand again’ — hundreds gather, canonize new scriptures for growing Mormon offshoot

I have not yet found a comprehensive description of the "new" scriptures that this group canonized over the weekend. But they did meet and many Remnant followers seem excited by the outcome.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Can't wait to see what the Canonized version will be and how to join !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 am

Korihor wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am
Rob4Hope wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:39 am
I read the church survives now on its BIC numbers....but this SHOULD be alarming, because it appears most of the youth leave anyway (but are counted of course--since we want to show a good face even though its a lie)...
Threadjack -
We maintain contact and relationship with a family in our previous ward in SLC. Their oldest son left on a mission and returned early for mental health as we hear is so common. He's actually a really cool kid/guy. He met who became his wife when they were high school sweethearts. But she was nevermo. He converted her and baptized her. Then he went on a mission. Came home, year+ later got married in the temple in Oct 2015.

If any of you remember, this is the same couple that I was the unofficial marriage officiant.

They haven't been to church for over a year. I reached out to him to hear his story. His wife is out too. She really only joined and did the temple marriage thing because she thought it was the only way to be with him and felt a ton of pressure being in Morridor. Sad.

Anyway, he said he has been soooo much happier and felt better after leaving the church. The pressure, mind control and crazy culture was toxic for him. He never had mental health concerns as a mission. He had mental clarity and couldn't conform to insanity.

The upcoming generation won't put up with nonsense.
No desire to ThreadJack either, but I want to piggy back on this. I know a young man who came home early from his mission. He was visited by his mission president, by a mental health professional, and by a GA as well.....and he came home of his own choice. Why?....because he couldn't STAND the straight jacked approach they used to make him conform to their rules.

He told me something: "They say we are trust-worthy, but they don't trust us to make any real choices." Oh...how true!

He was told he would go inactive, become an apostate, that those he would save would be denied blessings...you know the whole load of crap.

Well, he came home,..and at 20 years old was making $75k as a developer/engineer; bought his first home (closed on the loan actually) 2 days after he turned 21; sold his first home and is now in his second, and has close to 3/4 or an acre purchased for his 3rd "mansion" he is planning on building as he sells his second home; makes over $100k now as a 22 year old skilled software engineer; is married and has 2 beautiful little boys.

Yeh,..he is a flunky...a total loss. I'm laughing as I write this part.... :lol:

When this whole thing unfolded, I confess it was a massive eye opener. The LDS church doesn't want people thinking for themselves--they want pawns and sheeple. When people become "independent", its threatening.

DO NOT THINK FOR YOURSELF!...THIS IS BAD!!!!!

asa

Post by asa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Linked wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am
asa wrote:
I suppose most would say I am in with both feet. However I am still involved with the Corporate church and hold teaching positions etc there. In that regard I am not unusual . I intend to continue serve where I can including HT , substituting in the GD class etc as long as I am permitted to do so. Many of the people with whom I associate feel similarly . A number have been excommunicated and so are unable to do so.
The Remnant sounds like something my dad would really get into. We used to meet with other families to discuss the deeper doctrines as a kid, and my dad has always been disappointed with the lack of actual miracles. Part of me would like to introduce him to it, though I must admit my reasons are far from charitable. I mostly want to poke another hole in the church's hold on my family. But if that also helps him find something that makes him happy, is that still bad?

Asa,feel free to ignore these questions, but I think they would help me understand what to tell my dad if you are willing. Are you happy you found The Remnant? Would you prefer to be moderately happy and accepted by the general church leadership/membership including possibly family members who would be disappointed or have The Remnant and the looming possibility of excommunication? Do you feel closer to or further from the agnostic/athiest exmo community?
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. Yes I am happy with my present situation. It may be helpful to give a little background, I was as TBM as anyone but have always sought for more . I bet I am one of the few missionaries who subscribed to Dialogue while in the mission field and was on the board of Sunstone for years. I was in multiple bishoprics and served as bishop for 8 years . I have been in the HC in multiple stakes and as a final evidence of my devotion served as scout master twice for a total of 6 years including when I was 70.I started reading snuffer's stuff in 2009 and have read everything he has ever written. You can read several of my reviews on Amazon. I attended several of his lectures in his 10 talk series along the Mor Cor and have been at the last several Doctrine of Christ Conferences including the one in Boise earlier this month. I am happy because I believe it is true. And it is the most exciting thing that has happened since Joseph Smith . The fundamental message here is that there are once again men who have been in the presence of God and who are serving as his messengers to bring about a latter day
Zion. It is certainly easier to be a TBM and sit quietly in HP group each Sunday but I reached the point where I could no longer do that. The superficiality and half truths that were being taught drove me crazy. My paradigm shift has created some complications in my extended family situation ( but fortunately my wife is partially aboard) . I have no particular desire to be excommunicated since I still find value in certain service opportunities ,but I can not deny my present understanding. The spiritual rewards of this undertaking certainly outweigh the emotional costs involved. I am nether closer or further away from agnostic/ exmormon . I obviously agree with much of the analysis of the institutional church I read here but on the most fundamental level I believe in the reality of God and his Son and in their willingness to reveal themselves to us . This obviously differentiates me from most here. Will your father be happy among the Remnant ? I think you should give him the opportunity to find out the answer himself. I certainly hope that he will. Good luck in your endeavors.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:28 pm

asa wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm
Linked wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am
asa wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions. Yes I am happy with my present situation. It may be helpful to give a little background, I was as TBM as anyone but have always sought for more . I bet I am one of the few missionaries who subscribed to Dialogue while in the mission field and was on the board of Sunstone for years. I was in multiple bishoprics and served as bishop for 8 years . I have been in the HC in multiple stakes and as a final evidence of my devotion served as scout master twice for a total of 6 years including when I was 70.I started reading snuffer's stuff in 2009 and have read everything he has ever written. You can read several of my reviews on Amazon. I attended several of his lectures in his 10 talk series along the Mor Cor and have been at the last several Doctrine of Christ Conferences including the one in Boise earlier this month. I am happy because I believe it is true. And it is the most exciting thing that has happened since Joseph Smith . The fundamental message here is that there are once again men who have been in the presence of God and who are serving as his messengers to bring about a latter day
Zion. It is certainly easier to be a TBM and sit quietly in HP group each Sunday but I reached the point where I could no longer do that. The superficiality and half truths that were being taught drove me crazy. My paradigm shift has created some complications in my extended family situation ( but fortunately my wife is partially aboard) . I have no particular desire to be excommunicated since I still find value in certain service opportunities ,but I can not deny my present understanding. The spiritual rewards of this undertaking certainly outweigh the emotional costs involved. I am nether closer or further away from agnostic/ exmormon . I obviously agree with much of the analysis of the institutional church I read here but on the most fundamental level I believe in the reality of God and his Son and in their willingness to reveal themselves to us . This obviously differentiates me from most here. Will your father be happy among the Remnant ? I think you should give him the opportunity to find out the answer himself. I certainly hope that he will. Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks for the response Asa!!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut