RMN meets with NZ prime minister

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: RMN meets with NZ prime minister

Post by moksha » Sun May 26, 2019 1:35 am

Random wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm
She does have a position. A new one. I don't recall what it is, but I recall the online discussion that mentioned it (can't tell you which online discussion; sorry that I'm not remembering the important stuff).
Royal consort.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

:lol: :lol:
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 am

Random wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 am
Also, there is some conversation on Reddit regarding Sherri Dew's inclusion on the trip - I think it's a fair question why she gets to go to New Zealand on the Church's dime. What position does she hold that justifies using Church funds to send her other than being Sister Nelson's best friend? (see https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ow_badass/)
She does have a position. A new one. I don't recall what it is, but I recall the online discussion that mentioned it (can't tell you which online discussion; sorry that I'm not remembering the important stuff). Essentially, it's a promotion that enables her to go with them everywhere. I'm thinking maybe something to do with setting up the photos they take?

I couldn't remember any links, so I did a search to try to find them and the search immediately told me "Other people ask," and all of them but one mentioned Russ's name (and the other one only asked who the CEO of Deseret Book is). Anyway, all I could find was that she'd been promoted to run Deseret Book, but this is new position is something else.
A new position unrelated to her close friendship with Sister Nelson? I find the idea troubling that high level positions within the Church that are laden with perks are handed out as gifts to the well-connected. Hey, I'd love to travel the South Pacific, but I never knew the right people in the Church.

I find innuendos that Sister Nelson and Sister Dew are more than friends unnecessary and distasteful, so that is not where I am going with these comments. But I also find it distasteful that Sister Dew gets perks other members could never dream of just because she is Sister Nelson's friend (or, if you go back far enough, just because she wrote a biography of President Hinckley and stroked his ego). The Church has goodies to give out, but those goodies are by no means given out in an equitable manner free of conflicts of interest.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue May 28, 2019 9:36 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Random wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:
Also, there is some conversation on Reddit regarding Sherri Dew's inclusion on the trip - I think it's a fair question why she gets to go to New Zealand on the Church's dime. What position does she hold that justifies using Church funds to send her other than being Sister Nelson's best friend? (see https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ow_badass/)
She does have a position. A new one. I don't recall what it is, but I recall the online discussion that mentioned it (can't tell you which online discussion; sorry that I'm not remembering the important stuff). Essentially, it's a promotion that enables her to go with them everywhere. I'm thinking maybe something to do with setting up the photos they take?

I couldn't remember any links, so I did a search to try to find them and the search immediately told me "Other people ask," and all of them but one mentioned Russ's name (and the other one only asked who the CEO of Deseret Book is). Anyway, all I could find was that she'd been promoted to run Deseret Book, but this is new position is something else.
A new position unrelated to her close friendship with Sister Nelson? I find the idea troubling that high level positions within the Church that are laden with perks are handed out as gifts to the well-connected. Hey, I'd love to travel the South Pacific, but I never knew the right people in the Church.

I find innuendos that Sister Nelson and Sister Dew are more than friends unnecessary and distasteful, so that is not where I am going with these comments. But I also find it distasteful that Sister Dew gets perks other members could never dream of just because she is Sister Nelson's friend (or, if you go back far enough, just because she wrote a biography of President Hinckley and stroked his ego). The Church has goodies to give out, but those goodies are by no means given out in an equitable manner free of conflicts of interest.
Well stated.

alas

Post by alas » Tue May 28, 2019 2:34 pm

moksha wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:35 am
Random wrote:
She does have a position. A new one. I don't recall what it is, but I recall the online discussion that mentioned it (can't tell you which online discussion; sorry that I'm not remembering the important stuff).
Royal consort.
Third wife? The lesbian lover of his second wife? Polyamory?

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed May 29, 2019 4:39 am

Random wrote:
Not Buying It wrote:

Doggy?

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed May 29, 2019 5:20 am

Unfortunately, like materialism and the obsession with money, nepotism and cronyism was baked into the Church from the beginning. Pretty much all of Joseph Smith’s brothers were apostles or other Church leaders, he made his dad Patriarch which allowed him a tidy income charging for patriarchal blessings, there were all kinds of times someone got a position in the Church being Joseph Smith’s friend. John C. Bennett was the best example of how it happened (and how it could go awry). Favoritism was there from the beginning.

A Church with billions in real estate and other financial holdings and tithing as a revenue source has all kinds of goodies to give out, and from the beginning leaders have not been able to resist the urge to give those goodies disproportionately to family and friends. And to social climbers, Sister Nelson would never in a million years have married an 81year old man as a 57 year old woman if that man had not been a top leader and potential president of the most powerful organization in the state in which she resides and the religion she has belonged to all of her life. I wonder if it has ever occurred to him she only married him because of his position in the Church. Because it beggars belief to think otherwise.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed May 29, 2019 7:19 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:20 am
Unfortunately, like materialism and the obsession with money, nepotism and cronyism was baked into the Church from the beginning. Pretty much all of Joseph Smith’s brothers were apostles or other Church leaders, he made his dad Patriarch which allowed him a tidy income charging for patriarchal blessings, there were all kinds of times someone got a position in the Church being Joseph Smith’s friend. John C. Bennett was the best example of how it happened (and how it could go awry). Favoritism was there from the beginning.

A Church with billions in real estate and other financial holdings and tithing as a revenue source has all kinds of goodies to give out, and from the beginning leaders have not been able to resist the urge to give those goodies disproportionately to family and friends. And to social climbers, Sister Nelson would never in a million years have married an 81year old man as a 57 year old woman if that man had not been a top leader and potential president of the most powerful organization in the state in which she resides and the religion she has belonged to all of her life. I wonder if it has ever occurred to him she only married him because of his position in the Church. Because it beggars belief to think otherwise.
Having read some of the "IN Sacred Loneliness", a lot of those women married because they were told such a marriage would ensure their exaltation. Knowing this has been culturally enthroned and continues through teachings from people like SWK and others since, I see Wendy's motives being multi-faceted. I mean, after all, one of the first thing that would have happened to her is she would get the invite from her husband to have the 2nd Anointing. Right?

I think it rather peculiar this marriage as well...but there it is.