Moral Dilemma -- to keep something going even if wrong

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
LaMachina

Re: Moral Dilemma -- to keep something going even if wrong

Post by LaMachina » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 am
LaMachina,...

I also have struggled with the Bible, as much as any scripture (if there is such a thing as scripture). The BoM says that God will do nothing save for the benefit of the people (or something like that...Maybe its in the D&C?) Anyway, when that info comes across, and then I see things attributed to this merciful God, I wonder.

This incredible being didn't have any other options save killing Laban?

This incredible being didn't have any other options save telling the Israelites to "borrow" from the Egyptions, knowing full well they were plundering them? (thus God was commanding the people to lie)

This incredible being didn't have any other options save wagering with Satan if Job would crack?

This incredible being didn't have any other options save threatening JS with a flaming sword, and commanding him to send men on missions, while taking their wives from them? (this is a TBM perspective of doubt)...

The list could become quite long...
Exactly. As we, justifiably, lament these dishonest church leaders and "prophets" we continue to go up the chain of command. It's Monson and the Q15...but maybe they are victims too? It's actually Joseph who is the root of the problem!

Personally I go right to the top, God is the problem. I wonder if God suffers from any Moral dilemmas because of how he operates? Or if he says to himself 'You mortals can kick rocks...I'm GOD dammit. I do what I want"

Or maybe in Mormonism God is a victim of the system as well? We have to keep going up the chain until we get to the God of Gods, whoever that is...

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am

LaMachina wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am
Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 am
LaMachina,...

I also have struggled with the Bible, as much as any scripture (if there is such a thing as scripture). The BoM says that God will do nothing save for the benefit of the people (or something like that...Maybe its in the D&C?) Anyway, when that info comes across, and then I see things attributed to this merciful God, I wonder.

This incredible being didn't have any other options save killing Laban?

This incredible being didn't have any other options save telling the Israelites to "borrow" from the Egyptions, knowing full well they were plundering them? (thus God was commanding the people to lie)

This incredible being didn't have any other options save wagering with Satan if Job would crack?

This incredible being didn't have any other options save threatening JS with a flaming sword, and commanding him to send men on missions, while taking their wives from them? (this is a TBM perspective of doubt)...

The list could become quite long...
Exactly. As we, justifiably, lament these dishonest church leaders and "prophets" we continue to go up the chain of command. It's Monson and the Q15...but maybe they are victims too? It's actually Joseph who is the root of the problem!

Personally I go right to the top, God is the problem. I wonder if God suffers from any Moral dilemmas because of how he operates? Or if he says to himself 'You mortals can kick rocks...I'm GOD dammit. I do what I want"

Or maybe in Mormonism God is a victim of the system as well? We have to keep going up the chain until we get to the God of Gods, whoever that is...
I would suggest assigning blame just isn't that useful of an endeavor. You are right, we could definitely keep right on going, blame people farther and farther back. I tend to blame God as well, until I realize that is getting me nowhere useful. We should really focus on how we can help people who are being hurt by whomever or whatever we feel passionate about. Instead of decrying Oaks for making some stupid, hurtful, and hateful comments, we should volunteer at an organization that tries to counter it. Or make your own difference.

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Emower wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:50 am
I would suggest assigning blame just isn't that useful of an endeavor. You are right, we could definitely keep right on going, blame people farther and farther back. I tend to blame God as well, until I realize that is getting me nowhere useful. We should really focus on how we can help people who are being hurt by whomever or whatever we feel passionate about. Instead of decrying Oaks for making some stupid, hurtful, and hateful comments, we should volunteer at an organization that tries to counter it. Or make your own difference.
I completely agree. I haven't literally blamed god for a long time now as I consider myself an atheistic agnostic. Blaming something I don't think exists would probably border on insanity.

Referring to God is just my clumsy attempt at a metaphor for how we think and how I believe that to be the root of this problem. I don't necessarily think it's greed or stupidity but the fact that we've cooked up this all-knowing, all-powerful, all-good being that exists entirely and almost independently in all our individual heads who seems to act awfully immorally most of the time. If we could tear down this way of thinking I believe it would be a lot easier to act with love and kindness towards one another...but it's just a theory of mine. :)