Recipes for Spam

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
w2mz

Recipes for Spam

Post by w2mz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:31 am

Not sure if anyone else here had to sit through the "Special Regional Stake Conference" for Northern Utah today but it was more of the same stuff we hear every single meeting, at every single level. Missionary work (convert your neighbors), indoctrinate your kids, pay your tithing, read the scriptures especially the BoM, the leaders are super special starting withJS and here's a bunch of quotes from old self-important white guys to tell us why so, etc. It seriously was all I could do to stay in my seat.

Sometimes I just wonder, how many recipes are there for Spam? How many times can we hear the same things over and over and over and over?

It's getting harder and harder to listen to recipes for Spam, especially ever since I discovered I don't like Spam!
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Red Ryder

Re: Recipes for Spam

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:39 am

I love spam!

There's sliced spam, diced spam, fried spam, toasted spam, and baked spam. You can purée spam and drink it raw. You can slice it thin, thick, or make a quick spam sandwich. You can accentuate any meal with spam regardless of season. The rich can eat spam. The poor can eat spam. Spam is no respecter of person, place or social class.

My favorite is the 2 step spam grilled cheese!

http://www.spam.com/recipes
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:43 pm

If you don't like the taste of Spam, sandwiching it between two slices of apologetic toast with a thick smear of nuance can make it palatable to someone who otherwise might not be able to stomach it. But more importantly, if everyone else is gobbling it up and raving about how delicious it is, you're probably just being too finicky.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

John G.

Post by John G. » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:38 pm

w2mz wrote:Not sure if anyone else here had to sit through the "Special Regional Stake Conference" for Northern Utah today but it was more of the same stuff we hear every single meeting, at every single level. Missionary work (convert your neighbors), indoctrinate your kids, pay your tithing, read the scriptures especially the BoM, the leaders are super special starting withJS and here's a bunch of quotes from old self-important white guys to tell us why so, etc. It seriously was all I could do to stay in my seat.

Sometimes I just wonder, how many recipes are there for Spam? How many times can we hear the same things over and over and over and over?

It's getting harder and harder to listen to recipes for Spam, especially ever since I discovered I don't like Spam!
Great summary of just about every church meeting I've ever attended (except for the chasity lessons we got in YM's, and the Teachers Quorum lesson when we learned about Kolob and the planets we would get if we made it to the CK. That was one cool lesson!)

Anyway, I wonder if these types of speeches are perceived differently by TBMs. If you're really into the church and spend all week doing the daily scripture reading, tithe paying, home teaching, etc; I wonder if these types of talks aren't like a pat on the back affirming that you've been doing everything right. A TBM can sit in the meeting and quietly check off all the things they did in compliance with the speaker's list of things a good church member should be doing.

On the other hand, if you're a NOM these talks are just plain boring because we've heard it all before and, besides reading about the church on this website, recovery Mormonism, and Reddit, we are not really doing any of the things the TBMs are being self motivated to do....

Anyway, this question is probably more of a theoretical thought experiment for me. I spent the morning of this 2nd Saturday at my kid's little league practice and game, and so far this afternoon all I've doing has been watching the NFL (my team lost! :x They must have not had the spirit with them today!)
Last edited by John G. on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Yep, we had stake conference locally today and it was excruciating. The same formula EVERY time. They always trot out the mission president and the temple presidency member and their wives, who always talk about... you guessed it... doing more temple and missionary work. Then the stake presidency talks about how we need to do better at so and so. NEVER anything about doctrine or history, just be more obedient... follow the prophet... blah blah blah. And then the comments in closing how we have all been spiritually fed today.
John G. wrote:Anyway, I wonder if these types of speeches are perceived differently by TBMs. If you're really into the church and spend all week doing the daily scripture reading, tithe paying, home teaching, etc; I wonder if these types of talks aren't like a pat on the back affirming that you've been doing everything right. A TBM can sit in the meeting and quietly check off all the things they did in compliance with the speaker's list of things a good church member should be doing.
I think you're right; my TBM DW seemed to enjoy it for the most part. Not believing and seeing those things for what they are just does nothing for me.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:05 am

Speaking of recipes for SPAM, Monty Python has a few: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Did learn on another message board some years ago that Spam is a Philippines favorite.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

achilles

Post by achilles » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:47 am

Every once in a while I can tolerate Spam sliced very thin and fried to a crisp.

In case you weren't aware, every year you can buy your very own 12 x 12 Spam Calendar!
With its unique properties of requiring no refrigeration and long-lasting shelf life, Spams versatility has satiated hunger and inspired culinary creativity in households all around the world. From spam musubi and spamburgers to huevos spam cheros, theres no end to what you can you come up with. This official Spam wall calendar, jam-packed with trivia, jokes, and recipes, will provide inspiration and entertainment all year long. Witness all the things that the delicious miracle meat can do with this official wall calendar.
Spam Musubi! Itadakimasu! https://www.amazon.com/Spam-2017-Square ... m+calendar

After all the milk, we're ready for some meat gentlemen (and ladies)!

Edited to add link
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:31 am

w2mz wrote:Sometimes I just wonder, how many recipes are there for Spam? How many times can we hear the same things over and over and over and over?

I have not seen anything truly new or interesting about LDS doctrine since Bruce McConkie died. Maybe if they had elevated his son, Joseph, to the Q12 we might have seen some continuation. The most interesting and distinctive doctrines of the LDS church are so regularly downgraded any longer. FairMormon uses the idea of "not official doctrine" regularly and for their own protection. The LDS correlation department certainly tries to drive out the most revolutionary ideas. The idea of "getting your own planet" was a mind blowing idea irrespective of how true or doctrinal it might have been. But the modern church is slowly discarding anything interesting from the King Follet discourse and 150 years of speculation. The LDS church has less distinctive and compelling doctrine now than it did in the past. Their spam is getting old and stale. What is so compelling and interesting about the LDS church today to attract converts and retain the youth?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:23 am

Corsair wrote:The LDS correlation department certainly tries to drive out the most revolutionary ideas.
Hagoth's Spam Jello Recipe:
1) prepare 1 packet of extra-bland unflavored Jello following the instructions on the box
2) add copious amounts of diced Spam
3) cool until gelled
4) cut into single portions
5) attempt to nail to wall
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."