I need help with data mining

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
A New Name

I need help with data mining

Post by A New Name » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm

How go I find out how many times the word "Grace" has been used in a GC talk? And how can I break it down by year, and maybe speaker?
I see other people do this, but I've not a clue how to do it. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Danny

Spicy McHaggis

Re: I need help with data mining

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't know how to do the word search but I'll bet "grace" was used less than 'blood atonement'.

rincewind

Post by rincewind » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 pm

This General Conference Corpus search engine should do what you are asking for: http://www.lds-general-conference.org/

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow....that looks interesting. Thanks for the tip rincewind.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I used that website today to look up all the talks from the 1850's talking badly about Emma Smith. Kinda sad rhetoric.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:56 pm
I used that website today to look up all the talks from the 1850's talking badly about Emma Smith. Kinda sad rhetoric.
Who was that world religious leader who was touring an LDS facility and asked where were the pictures of the founder's wife? He reasoned we were a church about family and family was our central doctrine, surely the founder must have been married. Then he repeated his question, where are the pictures of the founder's wife?

Bless him.

That's when I remember the tide shifting for Emma.

And a non-member shall lead them.

Back to the OP, I hope you find what you seek. Grace is a beautiful doctrine and we miss the target by a wide margin. Uchtdorf's talk came closest to the mark.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 pm

rincewind wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:57 pm
This General Conference Corpus search engine should do what you are asking for: http://www.lds-general-conference.org/
This is one of my favorite websites. The best and worst of LDS conference addresses is quickly laid bare with such a simple text search.

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 pm

A New Name wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm
How go I find out how many times the word "Grace" has been used in a GC talk? And how can I break it down by year, and maybe speaker?
I see other people do this, but I've not a clue how to do it. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Danny
Are you talking about this? You copy and paste the whole talk (probably want to leave out the "in the name of JC" at the end, or you'll get inflated counts of "Jesus" and "Christ"), then hit "go". The result is that the words that are used most are the largest.
http://www.wordle.net/create
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

LostMormon

Post by LostMormon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 pm
rincewind wrote:
This is one of my favorite websites. The best and worst of LDS conference addresses is quickly laid bare with such a simple text search.
Very true, I have found some real zingers using this.

Take this one for example. its got a little bit of everything, overweight girls from Ogden, the evils of cola, and the forbidden M word, (you don't want to be on that list). do you think there could have been a few teens feeling a bit depressed after this talk?

http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=2625

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Give It Time wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 pm
Who was that world religious leader who was touring an LDS facility and asked where were the pictures of the founder's wife? He reasoned we were a church about family and family was our central doctrine, surely the founder must have been married. Then he repeated his question, where are the pictures of the founder's wife?

Bless him.

Back to the OP, I hope you find what you seek. Grace is a beautiful doctrine and we miss the target by a wide margin. Uchtdorf's talk came closest to the mark.
Maybe the facility didn't have enough wall space to display all 35-plus wives?
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm
Give It Time wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Bless him.

Maybe the facility didn't have enough wall space to display all 35-plus wives?
:lol:
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:21 am

LostMormon wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 pm
Corsair wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 pm
rincewind wrote:
Very true, I have found some real zingers using this.

Take this one for example. its got a little bit of everything, overweight girls from Ogden, the evils of cola, and the forbidden M word, (you don't want to be on that list). do you think there could have been a few teens feeling a bit depressed after this talk?

http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=2625
Blerrrrgggggghhhhh, so gross. Thanks (?) for sharing. (...?)