Elder Bednar and blessings

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Elder Bednar and blessings

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 am

I recently was present for a blessing of a sick person, and as I was listening I was reminded of a talk Elder Bednar gave recently, the substance of which was something like: Do you have the faith not to be healed?
The blessing was low key, included admonishments to follow medical advice, don't expect miraculous results, rely on family and friends for help, etc. It began with telling the recipient the Lord was pleased by the faith demonstrated in asking for a blessing, but it seemed like it didn't talk much about healing. Is this a new trend in blessings of the sick- don't expect a miracle?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Elder Bednar and blessings

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:27 am

Yep that's the modern "out" for no spiritual gifts being manifest. I find it interesting that at one point the temple fonts were used for baptisms for health and women temple patrons were called to be healers, yet no more.

This article lays out all the fascinating ritual we used to have that slowly evolved to what is practiced now. No more laying canes across chests and handkerchiefs for proxy healing or drinking consecrated oil

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/our-rites- ... ouring-oil

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am

A pertinent quote from the article that highlights Joseph designing "divine providence" into the healing liturgy:

"Despite this emphasis on healing power and ritual, Joseph Smith did not completely forsake the idea of divine providence. In fact, on February 9, 1831, he dictated a revelation stating that only those who were not “appointed unto death” could be healed (D&C 42:48). Latter-day Saints could receive power to heal and perform healing rituals, but in some cases no healing could be possible. Generally speaking, the invocation of providence in this context is a theodicy and was typically only considered after the failure of a healing ritual to bring about the desired result. [12]"

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am

I well remember Elder Bednar's quote - it has always seemed to me the words of someone who is making excuses for having never healed anyone in spite of his apostolic powers.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am
I well remember Elder Bednar's quote - it has always seemed to me the words of someone who is making excuses for having never healed anyone in spite of his apostolic powers.

I agree....its an excuse. The LDS theology teaches healing...and then when ANYTHING happens bad, its used as an excuse that there wasn't enough faith; or if something positive happens--see, it was the power or the priesthood.

What a joke.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm

The August 2016 Ensign has an article where Elder Bednar discusses having the faith not to be healed.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:22 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm
The August 2016 Ensign has an article where Elder Bednar discusses having the faith not to be healed.
It's like a law firm has recommended that this kind of ecclesiastic disclaimer just in case some devout believer insists that her cancer should have been healed by an apostle and sues the church for breach of covenant.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm

FFM, that was another great article you referenced. :D

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 pm
FFM, that was another great article you referenced. :D
Thanks! You and I seem to be on the same mental plane, I always have opportunity to share my particular interests and finds on your posts. It's a symbiotic NOM relationship.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:35 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm
Everything can be twisted. Back in BY day, did you have the faith to have your throat slit, and your blood spilled so that you could atone for your own sins by sacrifice?

OH MY GAWD!!!! This is CULT 101 stuff!....un freaking believable!

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm

I think this will serve as a bit of a clarification regarding the new healing policy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9afnbgx-Po
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:53 pm

One for my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies goes something like this:
"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
-Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Maybe Bednar is just channeling his inner Fight Club.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:48 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:53 pm
One for my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies goes something like this:
"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
-Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Maybe Bednar is just channeling his inner Fight Club.
This is probably what it looked like Bednar Durden said that.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 pm

Bednar Durden has a wicked reverse farmer's tan.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 am

I can't wait until Bednar is prophet. He will reign with blood and horror...
~2bizE