The 2nd Coming, why is it hardly mentioned anymore?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Re: The 2nd Coming, why is it hardly mentioned anymore?

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

Yeh...OK....I'm gunna admit something. I was associated with Cleon Skousen in 1998 - 1999. There was a big 'home school' movement back then that got REALLY going,...and kindof peetered out as time passed. Amyway, Cleon was BIG into Y2K being "the end".

His credibility and everyone else went to CRAP as the predicted dates continue to be missed. It is silly....

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am

Meilingkie wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am
My MIL said we had to get married fast, everyone said it btw, in 1998.
MIL was so convinced that she even made contingencyplans for my then underage SIL´s.
And we stocked, and stocked.
Then Y2K came and went............
What does the Jackson County Missouri return theme sound like in Europe? Do they think they will have to board boats like the early mormon immigrants and make the weeks long trip across the ocean followed by a modern handcart trek to get to Zion?

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:59 am

Nope, when Christ returns we had to trek to the temples.
Many believed massive cavernous hideouts were/are constructed to house thousands of members during the tribulations.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am
Yeh...OK....I'm gunna admit something. I was associated with Cleon Skousen in 1998 - 1999. There was a big 'home school' movement back then that got REALLY going,...and kindof peetered out as time passed. Amyway, Cleon was BIG into Y2K being "the end".

His credibility and everyone else went to CRAP as the predicted dates continue to be missed. It is silly....
I never was familiar with the Cleon Skousen circuit. Sorry for the threadjack, but in a nutshell what where his notable predictions/events.

Did the church have any formal recognition of his passing in 2006? It looks like Orrin Hatch lauded him on the US Senate floor.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

What are some sources for Skousen buying into Y2K? Did any of his books contain specific predictions?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:15 am

The second coming and the quest for Zion both got forgotten. It is not good for certain businesses, particularly building malls. Who wants to shop at the mall if the end is near or you want a utopian society? Nobody with money.
~2bizE

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:41 am

About the Skousen thing. Here's the story...

Back in this time frame like I said above, a BIG homeschool movement was happening. This was also the tail end of the John Birch push with the Ezra Taft Benson era. Skousen was involved in both of these to one degree or another. I was looking heavily at the Home School movement, and one charter type school was being developed about this time by Glen Kimber, Skousen's son-in-law. The guy had meetings and things to promote the idea, and his father-in-law would attend and give speeches. Some times there were Q&A moments.

It was during at least 2 of these "talks" I remember hearing Skousen say he felt the calendar system was relatively correct, and because of the "seven seals" mentioned in the D&C, he felt like the Second Coming would be around Y2K. He was pretty solid on this, creating no small stir with those who were listening. It was a "preppers" hayday "call to arms!"....

I was caught up in the hysteria myself to a large degree, but like so many other things, it obviously didn't happen. And then there was the Julie Rowe thing, and so forth and so on. Now there is a some guy named "Heckter" or soemthing out there who is the next dreamer.

It goes on and on.

I've read a lot of Skousen's stuff, and some of it I find credible and interesting. Unfortunately, it is easy to throw out the baby with the bath water--meaning because we have some of these people making outlandish predictions, we can discount EVERYTHING they say when in fact sometimes they say some smart things that are credible.

JustCurious

Post by JustCurious » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:37 pm

To the believers in the idea of the 2nd Coming, I have a comment, and a question...

COMMENT: *Every* reference I am aware of in the D&C describes Jesus' return (i.e., the 2nd coming) in the context of him coming in the *clouds* of heaven. Every single D&C reference does this.

QUESTION: If Jesus were to come in a *cloud*, who would see him? Would people normally see things that are within a cloud? Or would only those people to whom he chose to reveal himself see him?

And based on that, how can you conclude *anything* about the 2nd Coming? Because even if it is true, what makes you think you will know *anything* about it?

I conclude that it is best to just live life the best you can, and quit waiting for some special event in some unspecified future to create some unknown result. Live life now. Live it well. Be good. Be truthful. Be honest. And move forward.