A Bible A Bible

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
John Hamer

Re: A Bible A Bible

Post by John Hamer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 pm

redjay wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am
Do you find Emma's testimony to lack credibility?
It's a late reminiscence and much of the rest of it isn't accurate. LDS.org can quote from the same testimony to prove that Joseph Smith never practiced polygamy, which is Emma's testimony in the same interview.

The portion of the Book of Mormon text that Emma acted as scribe for was in the period prior to Oliver Cowdery's arrival. At that point, I presume the whole rigamarole of the stone in the hat was new for both Joseph and his scribes. She may be describing the time period when she was writing (the Lost 116 pages) quite accurately.

By the time Joseph Smith and Cowdery got going in earnest, they may well have dispensed with the formal scrying procedure. Joseph was done with the seerstones by the time the JST happens. I imagine a spectrum transition that starts with full head in hat and moves to closing one's eyes and dictating aloud, and eventually includes saying "my heart delightith in Isaiah" and quoting from the open Bible in front of you. I don't see any reason to imagine it was memorized.

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Again I feel like you could be right. However if the glove doesn't fit you must acquit!
So I was doing some more Isiah research and my sources say Isiah was written in 800BCE In other words Lehi would of had a record of those prophecies.
Anyone else got anything??

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am

John Hamer wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 pm
redjay wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:46 am
Do you find Emma's testimony to lack credibility?
It's a late reminiscence and much of the rest of it isn't accurate. LDS.org can quote from the same testimony to prove that Joseph Smith never practiced polygamy, which is Emma's testimony in the same interview.

The portion of the Book of Mormon text that Emma acted as scribe for was in the period prior to Oliver Cowdery's arrival. At that point, I presume the whole rigamarole of the stone in the hat was new for both Joseph and his scribes. She may be describing the time period when she was writing (the Lost 116 pages) quite accurately.

By the time Joseph Smith and Cowdery got going in earnest, they may well have dispensed with the formal scrying procedure. Joseph was done with the seerstones by the time the JST happens. I imagine a spectrum transition that starts with full head in hat and moves to closing one's eyes and dictating aloud, and eventually includes saying "my heart delightith in Isaiah" and quoting from the open Bible in front of you. I don't see any reason to imagine it was memorized.
Thanks John, I guess for me the more challenging question is, was Joseph inspired at all? As he was reflecting on theological questions, did God (in whatever form) put ideas for the betterment of his children into Joseph's mind (not revelation of accurate historical detail but moral myths) or was it all made up for personal gain, or did Joseph come to believe his own 'revelations'?

Do you think it even matters? E.g. Even if Joseph was a straight out inspired fraud we can ignore that and concentrate on the moral messages of his output (I know you touched on this a little in a previous thread)? If you don''t mind answering do you have any thoughts on this that you would care to share? Does the CoC hold any beliefs on these questions, or is it all down to personal interpretation?

Sorry for bombarding you.

But if you don't mind being bombarded ;) What is the future for the LDS church? Do you see it becoming more progressive in years to come and becoming like the CoC? Is the CoC growing with liberal and disaffected LDS looking for a new spiritual home? Does the CoC have/have plans for an online community for those who want to transition - e.g. there are no CoC meetinghouses in my country. Or would you simply suggest that Mormons seeking a new church find a local church that suits them of any Christian variety? FWIW I will be sticking around my LDS chapel as long as DW wants to, and after that I feel like a one man burnt over district - but if I was to go to Church of my own accord from what I've heard (which isn't too much) the CoC would be my natural spiritual home.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 am

redjay wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am
Thanks John, I guess for me the more challenging question is, was Joseph inspired at all? As he was reflecting on theological questions, did God (in whatever form) put ideas for the betterment of his children into Joseph's mind (not revelation of accurate historical detail but moral myths) or was it all made up for personal gain, or did Joseph come to believe his own 'revelations'?

Do you think it even matters? E.g. Even if Joseph was a straight out inspired fraud we can ignore that and concentrate on the moral messages of his output (I know you touched on this a little in a previous thread)? If you don''t mind answering do you have any thoughts on this that you would care to share? Does the CoC hold any beliefs on these questions, or is it all down to personal interpretation?

Sorry for bombarding you.
No problem bombarding me, but I do feel like I need to write a book to try to answer these very wide-ranging questions.

Regarding "inspiration" and "revelation" and the image of "God putting ideas" into people's minds; these depend on theological/philosophical ideas. My ideas on these topics are very different from those promoted by the LDS hierarchy, which sees God as a physical, fleshy being, who is very human-like, who talks to humans like humans talk to each other. (And thus all LDS apostles are knowingly engaged in a kind of fraud, since they all know that God does not talk to them in this fashion; however, they all presumably rationalize their deceit by telling themselves, again incorrectly, that they are doing so much good.)

Augustine of Hippo --- one of the most important thinkers in Western Civilization --- described the Spirit not as the happy feeling you get at certain emotional moments in church (also in movies because Hollywood knows how to play those heartstrings), but as moments of epiphany. For example, when you're listening to lectures on relativity and time dilation and just doesn't make any sense and then suddenly after a couple weeks of this you really feel you get it. Inspiration, therefore, in my view, is like the story of Newton and the apple --- a metaphorical river of revelation open to all who are open to light and insight --- rather than a human-like being stuffing ideas into your head. "Spirit" in the classical sense is not a material ghost (as in Mormonism and the modern materialist conception), it is the immaterial, e.g., the realm of Ideas.

Does Newton's revelation make Newton a kind of prophet? I would say, certainly so. Although, he was obviously not inspired when he turned his attention to deciphering the Book of Revelation for future history (a project he spent just as much time on as physics and astrology). We have many examples of Joseph Smith doing highly uninspired and uninspiring things.

You can make the case very easily that Joseph Smith was just a charlatan. I don't deny that case; it's completely defensible. I think you can also make the case that he was a conscious, pious fraud, who thought he was doing good (like current LDS apostles), and I think you can make the case that he really believed the magic (like current LDS apostles probably do too, even if they wonder why they can't do the magic). My personal take is that he believed the magic and simultaneously harbored doubts and knew how much of the practice of scrying and folk magic was his own performance. And yet he still believed in the magic and wore talismans for magical defense.

And I think he also believed the Book of Mormon story --- everyone at the time believed the general history in the Book of Mormon as the widespread myth of the Moundbuilders --- although he knew that the various details were being spun out of his own head (which he may have argued to himself was channeling a real record). He may have believed there was an actual spiritual record --- the golden plates that no one could look upon and live --- and yet he most certainly knew that when he finally gave in to the curiosity seekers and constructed various props for himself --- i.e., a heavy wooden box nailed shut that people could heft --- that actual golden plates in a literal, physical sense were definitely not in the box. No matter how he justified it, he knew that portion of the performance was a prop that he had made.

You ask me does it matter? My answers above here are my own reading of the events, based on reading the many volumes of early testimony. We can't state motives definitely, so we can't prove what Joseph Smith thought he was doing (I think the answer is almost always multiple contradictory things at once) and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't particularly matter. It's interesting just for our understanding of Joseph Smith as a historical figure, but what he was doing and how he justified it to himself has no ongoing significance for me religiously, spiritually, cosmically.

Community of Christ doesn't hold any beliefs on the subject because the church takes no positions on history. We're not a credal church. Members are encouraged to do the research, come to their own conclusions, and to be respectful of others in sharing ideas and opinions about history.

In the church's perspective, the Book of Mormon, as scripture, should therefore be evaluated for its various theological propositions, which are read and understood in the historical context of its author (upstate New York during the Second Great Awakening) and not in the time it is purportedly set. In the same way the Pseudonymous Book of Daniel cannot be understood in the context of the Babylonian captivity --- since its true author was writing many centuries later during the reign of Antiochus IV Ephiphanes of the Seleucid Empire.

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 am

Wow that's a fabulous response John. I hope people can find that response buried in this thread. You are extremely knowledgeable on this subject and it shows in your responses.
So just for personal clarification. You think Joseph just made up/inspired the whole BoM story? Do you think Cowdery had a big influence on the BoM as well? I realize stories/fables grow in exaggeration over time.
I feel/want to believe that perhaps he did have good intentions in the beginning and perhaps the BoM is inspired?? But I won't lie that's a small hope. I find myself more fascinated by the process that might of actually happened.

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 am

redjay wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:54 am
But if you don't mind being bombarded ;) What is the future for the LDS church? Do you see it becoming more progressive in years to come and becoming like the CoC? Is the CoC growing with liberal and disaffected LDS looking for a new spiritual home? Does the CoC have/have plans for an online community for those who want to transition - e.g. there are no CoC meetinghouses in my country. Or would you simply suggest that Mormons seeking a new church find a local church that suits them of any Christian variety? FWIW I will be sticking around my LDS chapel as long as DW wants to, and after that I feel like a one man burnt over district - but if I was to go to Church of my own accord from what I've heard (which isn't too much) the CoC would be my natural spiritual home.
Sad to say, I really think the chance that the LDS Church will reform and become more progressive and more like Community of Christ is essentially zero within the historically foreseeable future, which is to so say, your lifetime. Although it may seem to be more progressive than it was when I was born 46 years ago, it isn't. It does not exist in a vacuum and since it is "progressing" at a much slower rate than the surrounding society is progressing, it is actually regressing in a relative sense to history. There's no reason to imagine that turning around, especially since the threat from conservative offshoots (Denver Snuffer, etc) are arguably much more dangerous to the LDS Church hierarchy than the vast hemorrhage of progressive people, because progressives may not be pleasable in any case.

I'm not sure what country you're in, so I don't know what to suggest. I think there are many potential spiritual paths and homes for post-Mormon seekers, and Community of Christ is a good option for some. Unitarianism is often a good option and a lot of people have found Anglicanism has some of the things they're looking for (depending on your spirituality type). The path doesn't have to be limited to Christianity in my view.

There are a few online Community of Christ congregations. The Canadian one is called "Community Place": http://www.thecommunityplace.ca/ They have an online service the first Wednesday of the month. "Community Place" is not specifically designed with Seekers in mind --- it's regular Community of Christ members reinventing spiritual community for themselves in the 21st century.

My own congregation intends to launch an online group which will have services on Thursday evenings --- initially once a month, possibly beginning as early as next month --- and hopefully eventually meeting online every Thursday. My congregation's group will include many transitioning Mormons and will have that background in mind. I'll post here when the details become available.

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 am

Bloodhound98 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:47 am
Wow that's a fabulous response John. I hope people can find that response buried in this thread. You are extremely knowledgeable on this subject and it shows in your responses. So just for personal clarification. You think Joseph just made up/inspired the whole BoM story? Do you think Cowdery had a big influence on the BoM as well? I realize stories/fables grow in exaggeration over time. I feel/want to believe that perhaps he did have good intentions in the beginning and perhaps the BoM is inspired?? But I won't lie that's a small hope. I find myself more fascinated by the process that might of actually happened.
There's no underlying ancient record, so yes I'm saying the stories (inspired or not) originate in the mind of Joseph Smith and take form as he speaks and Cowdery writes.

What I think he's doing is materializing the history that everyone already knew, i.e., the Myth of the Moundbuiders --- that an ancient, high civilization of mound builders had once inhabited North America and were ultimately exterminated by "savages" who are the ancestors of Native Americans. This is a false idea that was almost universally held by European Americans at the time. It was also widely theorized that Indians were remnants of the Lost Ten Tribes, etc. What Joseph Smith was doing was providing the detailed narratives of that already known history, in much the same way as Thucydides created the all the speeches of the various generals in the Peloponnesian War.

I should think Cowdery's part in this is limited to being the springboard on which Smith is bouncing ideas in the off-hours. By throwing ideas out in the brainstorming off hours, Cowdery may well have massively influenced the direction of the story as composed, but I would still imagine that the actual text takes form when it is dictated out of Smith's mouth.

I would argue that this is even what Smith means by "translation." He doesn't mean that in an academic sense. He doesn't know any language other than English. He means translating in the Biblical sense that Moses' body or the City of Enoch were "translated" (transmaterialized) from the mortal to eternal realms. In this case, the lost history of the Moundbuilders has been "translated" from the spiritual dimension to the physical realm.

Lacking a confession, we can hardly state what Joseph Smith thought he was doing --- and frankly a confession would also be problematic because people are usually doing multiple contradictory things at once and your own narrative explanation for what you did in the past (your own memory even) is rewritten based on where you are now. Therefore, in my view the best place to hunt down Smith's motives are to actually read the text of the Book of Mormon --- but for once not as a history of the Olmecs and Mayans, but in its actual 1829 upstate New York context.

The purposes I see in the book (repeated again and again throughout) are:
• To fit America into the Biblical world-view
• To end Protestant sectarianism and restore Christian unity
• To instruct the young American republic in the turbulent era of its birth
• To help Native Americans "recover" their "true history" and embrace Christianity

In general, these are all pious goals, even if many appear misguided and worse from our perspective today.

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 am

Wow that's great. I have never heard of the mound builders. Got anything to read on them? I also read something about the text book presumably in all schools at his time about a Biblical version of the War if 1812. The book title escapes my mind but it correlates with exactly what you are talking about in contextual terms of his era.
Great stuff!!

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

"Mound Builders of Ancient America: The Archaeology of a Myth" is a great book-length summary: https://www.amazon.com/Builders-Ancient ... 000YEK5YS/

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 am

John, thanks for taking the time to set out answers to my raft of questions. Much appreciated.

RJ
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.