Marriage of a prophet

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
mooseman

Marriage of a prophet

Post by mooseman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

This was too good not to share...
So in my personal life, I try to be as in the closet about my current beliefs as possible for several reasons so most of my coworkers still see me as a "good Mormon man". My marriage continues to be tanking however, having taken a most likely fatal nose dive this week.
Seeing my distress today, a very well meaning, but TBM coworker expressed concern and offered this advice.
"It all comes down to celestial marriage" she said. "You have to ask yourself--would a prophet put up with this in their marriage? Is this a marriage that would be tolerated by Heavenly Father?"
lets see....lying, cheating, hiding behavior, mincing words and deflecting blame to the victim.....Ya, I'm pretty sure most of the modern prophets wouldn't have a problem with it, long as they were the ones doing it.

Anyway, her naiveté gave me a much needed smile and I thought I'd pass it on.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Corsair

Re: Marriage of a prophet

Post by Corsair » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:51 am

mooseman wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am
This was too good not to share...
So in my personal life, I try to be as in the closet about my current beliefs as possible for several reasons so most of my coworkers still see me as a "good Mormon man". My marriage continues to be tanking however, having taken a most likely fatal nose dive this week.
Seeing my distress today, a very well meaning, but TBM coworker expressed concern and offered this advice.
"It all comes down to celestial marriage" she said. "You have to ask yourself--would a prophet put up with this in their marriage? Is this a marriage that would be tolerated by Heavenly Father?"
lets see....lying, cheating, hiding behavior, mincing words and deflecting blame to the victim.....Ya, I'm pretty sure most of the modern prophets wouldn't have a problem with it, long as they were the ones doing it.

Anyway, her naiveté gave me a much needed smile and I thought I'd pass it on.
Prophets before Heber J. Grant would definitely not "put up with this in their marriage". They would simply acquire another wife and passively warn the impudent wife about staying faithful to her covenants. Whatever the previous wife was not providing could still be pursued with a newer model.

Good luck moving forward, Brother Mooseman.

redjay

Post by redjay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 am

I remember starting a new job not long after returning from my mission. When it came out I was mormon (this is a country where people are are mostly catholic or protestant) they gave me a hard time saying my wife was probably having sex with the cult leader - which they thought was super humorous.

At the time I was angry with the two guys.

Now I'm angry with the church for keeping me ignorant of our history

Upon reflection the two guys intuitively new more about my organisation than I did after two years after traipsing the streets and preaching the good word.

Let me say these two gents had no real knowledge of mormonism - they just saw it as weird and cultish.

Duped.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 am

Mooseman you are spot on about prophets. I am sorry about yours. I have no advice but sending peace and love your way!