April ensign article

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
20/20hind

April ensign article

Post by 20/20hind » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:13 pm

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/04/youn ... s?lang=eng

This is idiotic. Comparing same sex marriage to a counterfeit?

Section 132 that the church teaches, prints,and endorses. That treats women as property and totally diminishes their humanity is not counterfeit? Screw them and their teachings

Palerider

Re: April ensign article

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Admittedly I did a fairly quick perusal of the article but found no references to same sex marriage. Did I miss something?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Wrong link 20/20. That article is from last year.

Here's a PDF of the entire April 2017 Ensign:

http://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/magazines/e ... gn-eng.pdf

The article in question is "The War Goes On" beginning on page 33.

Counterfeit quote is on page 37 just below the photo on that page.

Funny how the LDS Corporation's "Eternal Marriage" is not recognized as a legal marriage in many countries besides the U.S. Does that make "Eternal Marriage" counterfeit?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm

The war is still going on --- the war they lost two years ago.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Palerider wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm
Admittedly I did a fairly quick perusal of the article but found no references to same sex marriage. Did I miss something?
Me neither. But I found this little nugget...
"To know our enemy is to become smarter than our enemy."
The bubble PowerPoint of the enemies of the church comes to mind.
~2bizE

Bloodhound98

Post by Bloodhound98 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

This is not by accident. Flattery is shallow, insincere, hollow, and exaggerated. Nephi warned of those who “shall teach after this manner, false and vain and foolish doctrines, and shall be puffed up in their hearts, and shall seek deep to hide their counsels from the Lord; and their works shall be in the dark” (2 Nephi 28:9)

This was my favorite quote. I'm pretty sure this website is considered to be in the dark!

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 am

From the Article linked by WTF Fluff

"Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, but same-sex marriage is only a counterfeit. It brings neither posterity nor exaltation. Although his imitations deceive many people, they are not the real thing. They cannot bring lasting happiness.
God warned us about counterfeits in the Doctrine and Covenants. He said, “That which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness” (D&C 50:23)."

Backward, sad, wrong and self-defeatist. I despair.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:00 am

Satan loves to spread contention in the Church. He specializes in pointing out the faults of Church leaders. Joseph Smith warned the Saints that the beginning step to apostasy is to lose confidence in the leaders of the Church.

Almost all anti-Mormon literature is based on lies about the character of Joseph Smith. The enemy works hard to discredit Joseph because the message of the Restoration hangs on the Prophet’s account of what happened in the Sacred Grove. The devil is working harder today than ever before to make members question their testimonies of the Restoration
The Church has never been afraid of lies about Joseph Smith. They have always and continue to be afraid of the things about him that are true.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 am

It's a shame they label teachings "The War Goes On" and in a recent address by Elder Cook, "A Banquet of Consequences." It makes it sound like the god of Mormonism doesn't have an ounce of compassion, grace, or empathy.

The world is only as horrible as you believe it to be.

The war goes on vs. Let us be agents of peace.
A banquet of consequences vs. The beauty of agency.

But we opt for couching things in combative language and say things using judgmental overtones.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 am

What's fascinating to me about this article, is that this drivel comes mere days after they released this heartwarming video on mormonandgay.org, about parental love for a gay child:

https://mormonandgay.lds.org/videos?id= ... 4538963301

I was going to comment somewhere about this, but this seems like a good a place as any. This was a great video, and then they publish this counterfeit nonsense, and from a GA no less! You'd think they'd get a permanent hinged jaw from talking out of both sides of their mouths. I think the institutional church is currently at war with itself, trying to appease both the hardline conservative factions and the progressives. I have an idea which group will win out in the end, and I'm not too pleased. But when you try to appease both sides, you end up pissing each of them off; they don't seem to get this. These two events have me thinking about the leaked "bubble" presentation, and at least they are aware of the two sides of the "politically spiritual" spectrum, they just can't seem to stop stepping on their own toes. It's getting comical, really.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am

Ensign articles take a long time to go through the vetting process. I wouldn't be surprised if pen first went to paper shortly after L. Tom Perry's comment, "We want our voice to be heard against all of the counterfeit and alternative lifestyles that try to replace the family organization that God Himself established." during the April '15 general conference.

Of course videos aren't produced in a few days time either.

Forget this article. How does the November policy coexist with that video? The church is sending a contradictory message. I guess you could say that they're being biblical. ;)
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:15 am

LSOF wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm
The war is still going on --- the war they lost two years ago.
Reminds me of one of my favorite lines in literature. It seems rather appropriate here.
Douglas Adams wrote:The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying 'And another thing...' twenty minutes after admitting he'd lost the argument.
-So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

redjay

Post by redjay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:02 am

So pissed at this. The urge to vote not to sustain the brethren at general conference is getting stronger. As they say silence is consent.

Ask this question to anyone:

Which is the counterfeit marriage?

(a) Two people who make a public commitment which is defined as marriage by law

(b) 'marrying' your friends' and associates' wives with and without your friends or your legal wife's knowledge; in secret using a non-legally validated ceremony

RJ
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

20/20hind

Post by 20/20hind » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:25 pm
Wrong link 20/20. That article is from last year.

Here's a PDF of the entire April 2017 Ensign:

http://media.ldscdn.org/pdf/magazines/e ... gn-eng.pdf

The article in question is "The War Goes On" beginning on page 33.

Counterfeit quote is on page 37 just below the photo on that page.

Funny how the LDS Corporation's "Eternal Marriage" is not recognized as a legal marriage in many countries besides the U.S. Does that make "Eternal Marriage" counterfeit?
Thanks for catching that fluff. I didn't realize I had the wrong link

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Nothing new here, same old worn out line, do as I say and you go to heaven, otherwise the devil has you in his evil clutches.

Cast the blame on someone or something else.

What were the lines of the folk song? "Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of heaven,
You can justify it in the end."

We can do and say whatever we want folks- we just have to say the God told us to. Same ol' same ol'.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

Curse that subtle Satan with his evil whisperings about accepting that two people who love each other can share a life together without ridicule and harassment. Everybody knows that God wants the war, hate and derision to go on and on and on... Now if only his mouthpieces could get their stories to align.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."