What's up with Catholics and Forgiveness?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

What's up with Catholics and Forgiveness?

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:11 am

The Pope is at it again. Pope Francis is begging forgiveness for the Church role in the Rwanda genocide. All this mercy and forgiveness stuff seems so alien to the LDS Church, where we view the slightest apology as a sign of weakness and an opening for a possible lawsuit. We won't say squat about leaving the garage door open, letting the cat escape. The Pope is talking forgiveness for genocide! The Pope obviously takes actions and holds beliefs outside the advice of his legal council based on some kind of moral principles.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5 ... for-church
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

redjay

Re: What's up with Catholics and Forgiveness?

Post by redjay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:15 am

thou almost persuadeth me to become Catholic
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 am

Pope Francis has become my favorite role model of current Christianity. I will readily and fully admit he is not without faults, and neither is the Catholic Church. However, the saving grace is we see attempts to make things better. He doesn't need to fix everything. And there will always be something to fix. We only re-entrenchment with the LDS Church leadership.

Edit: Should have said the Mother Teresa sainthood thing was probably a big misstep.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:20 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:11 am
... All this mercy and forgiveness stuff seems so alien to the LDS Church, where we view the slightest apology as a sign of weakness and an opening for a possible lawsuit. We won't say squat about leaving the garage door open, letting the cat escape. The Pope is talking forgiveness for genocide! The Pope obviously takes actions and holds beliefs outside the advice of his legal council based on some kind of moral principles.
I'd love to see lds church leaders apologize for the ethnic cleansing (genocide killings) of Native Americans - the "Extermination Order" given by Brigham Young.

Or have they?