"Prophecy" and new temples

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Grace2Daisy

Re: "Prophecy" and new temples

Post by Grace2Daisy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:15 am
moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:30 am
Grace2Daisy wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:31 pm
Does anyone know of the last prophecy given by modern-day LDS leader?
I think this was the prophecy made by President Nelson when he was addressing a group in Hawaii. He said God revealed that they should not allow the children of same-sex marriages to be members of the LDS Church.
Yes. Elder Nelson prophesied for the prophet in that case.
Ah. . . . yes. . . I forgot about that "outrageous," "repulsive" and "anti-family" PR nightmare the church had when Handbook 1 changes were released prior to the new policy being announced as a prophecy. As I remember the Handbook 1 change occurred late 2015, then there were mass resignations in November regarding the issue, after social media and news organizations released the new policy.

The church did not send out an "official" spokesman until January 2016. I'm guessing the Q15 met regarding sending out the changes too soon, the bad PR, and the mass resignations, and after the First Presidency did a rock, paper, scissor (with Uchtdorf losing), they decided to send out their next-in-line out to announce it was a prophecy.

Hind sight is easy, I'm sure they have learned that announcing such a dramatic change needs to be preceded by saying, "Don't blame us, it's what the Lord wants."
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38