Will there be a LDS Super-PAC?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Will there be a LDS Super-PAC?

Post by moksha » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:31 am

From the headlines: Trump’s pledge to allow churches to support candidates may be part of tax bill

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... r-BBzPFuN?
The repeal of the “Johnson amendment”, a provision that would end a six-decade-old ban on churches and other tax-exempt organizations supporting political candidates, is being written into tax legislation developed in the House of Representatives, according to aides.
This could add a check-off box for LDS Super-PAC on the tithing slip. It could also render political donations as tax-free write-offs.

Your thoughts?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Give It Time

Re: Will there be a LDS Super-PAC?

Post by Give It Time » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:22 am

I think it's unethical.

I also think comedians vote for the candidate who gives them the most fodder. A comedy super-PAC would be quite something.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:11 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the church already has a super-pac under another entity that it controls. Kind of like the way FAIR is not funded by the church but gets donations from the More Good Foundation which is funded by the church, or the way no tithing money was used to build the mall.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:25 pm

If the Johnson Act had been in effect during the 1840's, it would have prohibited half of Joseph Smith's talks, or else made the church pay taxes. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 05, 2017 1:47 am

President Trump signed an Executive Order yesterday giving Churchs the green light in participating in politics and giving huge sums of money without the IRS questioning their tax exempt status. This paves the way for Churchs to engage in full campaigns to effect governmental policy, such as granting freedom from Immigration Services in certain areas if the immigrants agree to convert, pay gross tithing and vigorously support Church Authorities. Ending equal rights for disliked minorities could also be permitted on the newly deregulated religious political agendas.

http://cdn.aattp.org/wp-content/uploads ... 9235_n.jpg
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Fri May 05, 2017 4:33 pm

I read a great article on the idea of which churches like to engage in political sermons. It said that the main churches this will change anything for are the Southern Black denominations....who will be actively campaigning against the Cheeto in Chief. Thanks Trump for giving them permission to be openly donating to your next opponent.