I hope RS teachers keep these lessons coming

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Raylan Givens

I hope RS teachers keep these lessons coming

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 pm

My poor DW has had the worst series of lessons this month. This week was spectacular.

the lesson was on creation (direct quotes):
"I am not going to teach the basics of creation. I want to focus on what is usually not spoken of but is essential to salvation..."

"The things that science discovers we already know. Of course there are aliens..."

"Did you know that Kolob's orbit is larger than ours? That is why when babies are born they wake in the middle of the night. We have to get them used to being on our time."

So glad these essential truths are taught. My DW's logical brain is hurting, perhaps we can think about taking more permanent time off....one can hope.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Korihor

Re: I hope RS teachers keep these lessons coming

Post by Korihor » Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 pm
"Did you know that Kolob's orbit is larger than ours? That is why when babies are born they wake in the middle of the night. We have to get them used to being on our time."
WTF
Wow, that is some pure inbred crazy shiz right there. Please pass along my approval to the RSP.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon May 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:

Yeah, the orbit might be larger but the rotation might be much faster.....kind of like how my head is spinning right now....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Vlad the Emailer

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Mon May 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Wait, your DW uses logic?!? :o

Not fair, I say, not fair!! ;)
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:
My poor DW has had the worst series of lessons this month. This week was spectacular.

"I am not going to teach the basics of creation. I want to focus on what is usually not spoken of but is essential to salvation..."

"The things that science discovers we already know. Of course there are aliens..."

So glad these essential truths are taught. My DW's logical brain is hurting, perhaps we can think about taking more permanent time off....one can hope.
If a woman believes this, she'll buy into polygamy.

Wow! Just wow!
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Wow. I can honestly say I haven't heard that kind of crazy at church. Almost wish I had.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon May 08, 2017 4:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is sooooo funny!

And then you think about it for a little longer and it's just awkward/sad.

But let's unpack this for a minute with our TBM hats on. Did we have bodies in the pre-mortal life that required sleep? I don't think so. The whole point of coming here was to gain a physical body. Also what is Kolob rotating around? Isn't it supposed to be the center of everything with a glory like that of the sun? So to have a rotational day/night cycle it would have to rotate and revolve around something else which would make it not the center of the universe. Also wouldn't they get used to earth time in the 9 months they spend in-utero? And holy sh*t the real reason babies wake up is because they are hungry. I hope the lady teaching this insanity didn't just let her baby starve every night. "he just needs to get used to earth time." :o :? :roll: So even for a TBM this is f-ed up.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I can't add anything to enhance this but I just want to express my joy about it.

Of course I do worry your kids are being exposed to antiscientific nonsense but that's my concern for all of the US these days.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Can of Worms

Post by Can of Worms » Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you for sharing! I've heard some crazy stuff at church but in my experience it usually bubbles up in SM. I hope they keep the lessons coming and you keep us in the loop! ;)
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.” Winston Churchill

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon May 08, 2017 10:06 pm

This isn't the only crazy I hear.

In SS a few weeks ago, there was a pretty fervent discussion about telling the difference between Satan's angels and real Messengers.

You know, put out your hand to shake it. You'll feel nothing (Satan of course, no body).

" A real Messengers would not allow you to touch him, he would just give you a sign." -quoting one of the 100 octigenarians in my ward

My DW and I just look at each other in disbelief and go back to texting each other like 13 year olds
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am

Ok I was feeling quite low but the babies comment made me laugh, so thanks for that. :x

fh451

Post by fh451 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am

LostGirl wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 am
Ok I was feeling quite low but the babies comment made me laugh, so thanks for that. :x
Yeah, me too! I guess babies born in the eastern hemisphere don't wake up in the middle of the night...

fh451

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
I know it would be silly to try to point out the difference between "orbit" and "revolution" of planets to this woman. Heaven forbid she discovers gravitational time dilation and tries inserting general relativity into her doctrine for further reasons why babies wake up in the middle of the night.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am

Reminds me of that ridiculous article in LDSliving:

http://www.ldsliving.com/3-Fascinating- ... ob/s/82249

Now there some Fd up science for your TBM enjoyment!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm

I haven't been to church in almost two years, but if my RS class was like that, I would consider returning, just for the entertainment value.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:18 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 am
Reminds me of that ridiculous article in LDSliving:

http://www.ldsliving.com/3-Fascinating- ... ob/s/82249

Now there some Fd up science for your TBM enjoyment!
Well. That was embarrassing. Sometimes I hate it when people know I'm Mormon...because of stuff like this.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun May 14, 2017 1:36 am

Raylan Givens wrote:
If this conversation happens again you could assist the Relief Society teachers by mentioning the variation in gravitational pull, the effect of only having one moon, and Earth's ozone layer blocking much of the ionizing Kae-e-vanrash (as mentioned in the Book of Abraham).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat May 20, 2017 2:20 pm

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:03 pm
I haven't been to church in almost two years, but if my RS class was like that, I would consider returning, just for the entertainment value.
My RS is super depressing. Probably because nearly everyone in there is depressed. Lots of doom, gloom, and "I hope I can be good enough to have happiness in the next life after I finish suffering through this one.