Revelation of convenience

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Charlotte

Re: Revelation of convenience

Post by Charlotte » Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 am

orangganjil wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 8:00 pm
AllieOop wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 7:26 am
I couldn't agree more. John Corrill's writings are fascinating and he is a contemporary source. His book: A Brief History of the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints (Commonly Called Mormons) was a huge eye opener for me regarding what really took place in Missouri (he wrote it in 1839).

You can order a reprint for only $10.14 and I highly recommend it. I couldn't put it down and still refer to it often. John Corrill was an insider who knew much and then revealed much afterwards ("John Corrill was an early member and leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and an elected representative in the Missouri State Legislature. He was prominently involved in the Mormon conflicts in Missouri before leaving the church in 1839 and publishing A Brief History of the Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints").

Here's a link to his book:

https://www.amazon.com/History-Commonly ... hn+corrill
Corrill was well-respected by both the Mormons and non-Mormons, too. To me he is one of the most fascinating people in church history because I agree with so many of his perspectives. He seems level-headed and didn't take kindly to tyrants. Fascinating stuff and it's always great to hear of another Corrill fan.
This sounds very interesting! Do you know how widely this book is read and/or respected by apologists? Does Bushman use any of it in RSR?

orangganjil

Post by orangganjil » Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 am

Charlotte wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 am
This sounds very interesting! Do you know how widely this book is read and/or respected by apologists? Does Bushman use any of it in RSR?
I can't recall if Bushman uses it as a source in RSR, but Leonard Arrington wrote the forward, I believe. I'm not sure how apologists view the book.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 am

When men take it upon themselves to speak for God they can say whatever they want. Human nature will allow you to find validation in whatever you utter. Joseph being no different found convenience is saying things to his benefit. He just like to add God said so on top of it.

Think about it. If you claim God said it how can anyone disprove it? They can just call you a liar or delusional.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 am
Think about it. If you claim God said it how can anyone disprove it? They can just call you a liar or delusional.
Exactly. Just as David Whitmer said the voice of God declared to him that Joseph was a fallen prophet. It brings to mind the Dire Straits song: "Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am

I have of course put together the revelations of convenience, but I had not compared the Nephi scripture with the D&C scripture. Nice.

So much becomes clearer once you step back a ways.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am

Emower wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 am
I have of course put together the revelations of convenience, but I had not compared the Nephi scripture with the D&C scripture. Nice.

There is another angle to the scriptures in I Nephi. While First and Second Nephi are at the start of the Book of Mormon, they were translated/dictated/revealed at the end. Joseph lost the 116 pages and was told (conveniently) to not reproduce them. So he proceeds onto the rest of the Book of Mormon through Moroni and then he "conveniently" discovers the writings of Nephi, son of Lehi. This new narrative covers the Book of Lehi events but chronologically is first. So it gets placed at the beginning for publication.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am
Emower wrote:

There is another angle to the scriptures in I Nephi. While First and Second Nephi are at the start of the Book of Mormon, they were translated/dictated/revealed at the end. Joseph lost the 116 pages and was told (conveniently) to not reproduce them. So he proceeds onto the rest of the Book of Mormon through Moroni and then he "conveniently" discovers the writings of Nephi, son of Lehi. This new narrative covers the Book of Lehi events but chronologically is first. So it gets placed at the beginning for publication.
Ah.... A convenience wrapped within a convenience. Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said something about a puzzle hidden in a mystery wrapped in an enigma? Something to that effect... 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed May 24, 2017 10:36 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am
Emower wrote:

I heard something of this on the last IOT podcast I listened to. So, he lost the 116 pages, then continued onward from that point. I get why he would want to wait to get his story straight before trying to deal with that situation, but where did he say he found the writings of Nephi? At the end of the plates? Stuck on like some appendix? Does he make Mormon say something about this as the editor? I dont remember.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

This is another of those weirdly convoluted stories. Joseph loses the 116 pages but finds what is basically a duplicate at the end of the plates. A duplicate written on gold in a book where space was so precious we are told several times by authors of the book that they don't have room to recored even hundredth of what happened at some of the most important events of all time (e.g. Christ's visit). Apologisits tell us that the reason for these extra plates was that God knew Martin was going to lose the pages so he set up a contingency plan. Then he chastises Joseph and Martin and takes away the plates and interpreters away to punish them, even though losing the pages was part of his plan all along. Since the BoM translation essay the apologist accepts that Joseph didn't actually read the plates, because he really read from a rock in a hat. That means it doesn't really matter whether he had the plates or whether he lost the pages, or if there was a second version of the Lehi story at the back of the book. He had the real source of the BoM text sitting in the bottom of his hat. Joesph was like Dorothy in Oz. She had the ruby slippers the whole time and didn't need a balloon or a tornado to take her home afterall.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Comparing Joseph Smith to Dorthy and the seer stone to the ruby slippers is priceless😀
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.