One True Church Claim: 20 Year Phase Out Plan

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

Re: One True Church Claim: 20 Year Phase Out Plan

Post by Korihor » Tue May 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Korihor wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:23 am
Wait, this is the first I've heard about this. I thought City Creek South was a thing, not City Creek West. When did the Daybreak Mall thing get announced?
If you've heard of a development lovingly (sarcastically) referred to as City Creek South, this is the development you are looking for. It's in the far South-Western part of the salt lake valley.

It's been talked about for a few years. I don't remember if we discussed it much here, but over on that reddit thingy there were some discussions. I"m too lazy to look up the length of time folks have been talking aboot it...
[/quote]

I've heard of City Creek South, but I thought it was in Draper/Bluffdale and they were capitalizing on the relocation of the prison and the renewed availability of that land.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been outta the SLC valley for 2 years now.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Emower

Post by Emower » Wed May 24, 2017 8:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm
It is not what you would get if it was run by theologians and social workers.
It makes it all the more maddening that people cannot/will not see this, even when faced with their own precious story about money changers in the temple.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 am

The fact that this would take 20 years (or even 10 years) is that it is basically brainwashing, not fact. It is part of the cultural pressure. Many TBMs panic and get defensive if the "one true" label is challenged, because they need to feel they're in a special group and they need to feel they're in the right.

I wonder how that entire plan will unfold - the minute they say they're not the "one" true church, some people who are fed up with the control and the culture may think, "Great - I can go somewhere else now!" The church has been resistant to admitting other churches had truth. So, if there are other "true churches," what does that say about the history of bizarre practices (polygamy, temple ceremonies, etc.) that could be legitimized through the "one true" excuse?

I had to say it (well, no, I don't hate to say it), but I am now so cynical about the church that they will need to remove the word "true" as well. Maybe even the word "church." Not sure what that leaves them with.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Sun May 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I don't see how the church can possibly back away from being the one true church. That was the ONLY reason I participated. Even at my most active and believing. It's also the only reason I returned to activity after a period of inactivity. If the church drops the one true church claim, why would anyone want to put up with the ugly doctrines, the mindnumbing boredom and general misery of it? What r
eason would there be to stay?

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun May 28, 2017 3:27 pm

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:44 pm
I don't see how the church can possibly back away from being the one true church. That was the ONLY reason I participated. Even at my most active and believing. It's also the only reason I returned to activity after a period of inactivity. If the church drops the one true church claim, why would anyone want to put up with the ugly doctrines, the mindnumbing boredom and general misery of it? What r
Yeah, the belief that one is special, the upper caste - it's a deep prideful need of humans throughout history & I don't see that ever going away in the church without the church collapsing all together, which may happen some day if finances became even more corrupt to the point of bankruptcy. Church leaders can and do use other words - to obligate members to keep repeating "one true church" free advertisements every 1st Sunday.

What I do see is gradual and subtle shifts in what is asked of members.
As noted, food storage isn't pressured as before - leaders want members' money spent differently - more to support the church or it's many corporations.

No more road shows, dance festivals or ym/yw overnighters - money spent that helped the local commoners without helping those on top & the church. My guess is the ward budgets will keep getting cut back, and they may even go back to asking members to do fundraisers except, money will still be required to be sent to headquarters & redistributed. And as is, but more so, members required to provide for activities/food. Paying tithing, fast offering, and many funds besides many (on the side) material or skill donations. Who knows what the church will look like in 20 or 50 years.
Last edited by Newme on Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm

NOMinally Mormon wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:44 pm
Agreed. I feel the same way about the New apologetics on the BOM not being historical. Read an interesting post on Reddit today about this. Without the one true church and the BOM being a literal testament of Christ and history of North American people....they are no different than any other church. So..no compelling reasons to attend, spend 20+ hours a week serving or pay 10%...