Push for Polygamy?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

Push for Polygamy?

Post by Brent » Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Back in the 19th century the church practiced polygamy to care for, and ensure the eternal salvation of widows and excess spinsters...

Doesn't today's situation merit the same treatment?

There ain't enough men...why not share them?

LaMachina

Re: Push for Polygamy?

Post by LaMachina » Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 pm

First of all, no one REALLY believes that was the reason for polygamy. That's just the story they'd tell questioning young people much the same way they'd say Jesus was really turning water into grape juice. Sure, maybe they'd almost convince themselves the story was true but deep down they knew.

Secondly, a quick story from my youth. My father was a tradesman and I worked many summers with him. We often crossed paths with other tradesman, all nice guys but many falling into that certain rough around the edges stereotype. Many times during long days a Coke was offered or occasionally a beer. My father always turned it down which would be met with questions, sometimes directly of "are you Mormon or something?" He, of course, always answered in the affirmative and many, many times someone would get that leering grin and ask "how many wives you got?" and they would insinuate a jealousy at Mormon men and their good fortune. My father always answered the same way; he would guffaw and exclaim "You can't even handle the wife you got!?! What are you gonna do with two??"

Now, his answer could be deemed sexist (he was an older generation with a different point of view on these matters) but there was a certain wisdom there. Polygamy opens a can of worms the church likely never wants to touch again beyond that safe zone of whatever happens after we're dead.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue May 16, 2017 4:16 am

LaMachina wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 pm
Polygamy opens a can of worms the church likely never wants to touch again beyond that safe zone of whatever happens after we're dead.
I know you are right. The church wants nothing to do with polygamy, among the living at least. I don't want anything to do with polygamy in either life. But I wonder what will happen in the future. If I understand correctly, polygamy is decriminalized. I suspect that if Reynolds vs. United States went before the current supreme court, it would go the other way. TV shows that depict "normal" polygamist families are reasonably popular. Sooner or later, polygamy as a consensual practice will be completely legal, I believe. (I am trying to distinguish between consenting adults who agree to live in such an arrangement from fraudulent practices and those that force young women into the practice. The latter two will be prosecuted, I hope.)

In every correlated lesson I have seen, the Manifesto is depicted as ending polygamy. However, it doesn't ever say that. I am sure there will be some members who read Official Declaration I, realize it only counsels against relationships that are illegal, and decide they are justified in becoming polygamists. Will the church have to emphasize the second manifesto? Will the church say anything? I am sure those who enter polygamy will be exxed, but will that be enough?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 am

Brent wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm
Back in the 19th century the church practiced polygamy to care for, and ensure the eternal salvation of widows and excess spinsters...
At least now it would be somewhat accurate. Modern polygamists would be taking care of church widows and church orphans. These would be the remaining faithful women and children who lost their husbands and fathers due to apostasy and lack of support of mixed faith marriages from LDS leadership. It's not a physical death from starvation or exposure due to crossing the plains too late in the season. It's spiritual death where, ironically, the missing husbands are technically still around, but LDS leadership does not want their heretical influence on faithful tithe payers.

MerrieMiss

Post by MerrieMiss » Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Sometimes I hope the church reinstates polygamy, among other things (law of consecration, migrate to Missouri, etc). A lot of the support members give such historical practices is a lot of talk. Sure, there are some die hards who would love it, but I think it would make a lot of people think twice about things. I'm pretty sure my husband would have some serious issues with it.

Enoch Witty

Post by Enoch Witty » Thu May 18, 2017 7:46 am

MerrieMiss wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm
Sometimes I hope the church reinstates polygamy, among other things (law of consecration, migrate to Missouri, etc). A lot of the support members give such historical practices is a lot of talk. Sure, there are some die hards who would love it, but I think it would make a lot of people think twice about things. I'm pretty sure my husband would have some serious issues with it.
I've had the same thought many times. I had a seminary teacher who assured us that polygamy and animal sacrifice would absolutely be reinstated in our day. I can't wait. :lol:

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm

No thanks.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 pm

My wife is on board as long as:

Wife #2 cooks
Wife #3 cleans
Wife #4 does laundry
Wife #5 takes care of the children
Wife #6 does the grocery shopping
Wife #7 drives everyone around
Wife #8 is her best friend
Wife #9 is her sister
Wife #10 is Brad Pitt

Her only stipulation is that I can't sleep with or consummate the marriage with the first 9 wives yet she can with wife #10. :shock:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am

We can't take care of widows that way today because polygamy is illegal and we believe in obeying the law of the land...hey, wait a minute!

I'm amazed that I ever fell for the taking care of widows angle, even as a kid. Obviously the only way to support someone is to illegally marry them. Apparently whenever Jesus' talk about visiting and caring for people was a mistranslation. He was really telling us to marry them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Brent

Post by Brent » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am

Personal Opinion:

Getting married is like rolling the windows up while you have an angry bee in the car with you.

Why would you want two?

(Apologies all around).

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 pm
My wife is on board as long as:

Wife #2 cooks
Wife #3 cleans
Wife #4 does laundry
Wife #5 takes care of the children
Wife #6 does the grocery shopping
Wife #7 drives everyone around
Wife #8 is her best friend
Wife #9 is her sister
Wife #10 is Brad Pitt

Her only stipulation is that I can't sleep with or consummate the marriage with the first 9 wives yet she can with wife #10. :shock:
You be careful, if wives 2-9 start outsourcing their share of the labor, you've got a full-blown pyramid scheme on your hands!

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am

Brent wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 am
Personal Opinion:

Getting married is like rolling the windows up while you have an angry bee in the car with you.

Why would you want two?

(Apologies all around).
Silly Brent,
Wives aren't like bees; they're like horses.
The absurdity of the argument that these passages imply that a man should have but one wife, is evident from the previous verse, that the kings of Israel should "not multiply horses to themselves." No one would be so unreasonable as to suppose that the Lord designed to limit the kings of Israel to one horse.
(As compiled by Apostle Franklin D. Richards, A Compendium of the Doctrines of the Gospel)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Bring on the push.

I suspect if polygamy were re-instated in the LDS Corporation, my family members would run.

I'll gladly run right along with them.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Zack Tacorin Dos wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am
Brent wrote:
Personal Opinion:

Why would you want two?

(Apologies all around).
Silly Brent,
The absurdity of the argument that these passages imply that a man should have but one wife, is evident from the previous verse, that the kings of Israel should "not multiply horses to themselves." No one would be so unreasonable as to suppose that the Lord designed to limit the kings of Israel to one horse.
(As compiled by Apostle Franklin D. Richards, A Compendium of the Doctrines of the Gospel)
No, silly man. Wives are not like horses, they are like cows. After all Kimble said the he puts no more thought into taking another wife than he does into buying another cow.

The transformation from the guy who couldn't abide the thought of sharing his precious Violet, into the jerk who thinks of women as cows is sickening. That is what poligamy does to the male brain. It turns them from loving husbands into jackasses.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri May 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Zack Tacorin Dos wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 am
Brent wrote:
Personal Opinion:

Why would you want two?

(Apologies all around).
Silly Brent,

Bro. Richards had it wrong....Being a horse owner, I can tell you that it isn't possible to ride more than one at a time safely....King or no king.
To multiply horses (or wives) was nothing more than an ostentatious display of wealth.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 pm

alas wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm
No, silly man. Wives are not like horses, they are like cows. After all Kimble said the he puts no more thought into taking another wife than he does into buying another cow.

The transformation from the guy who couldn't abide the thought of sharing his precious Violet, into the jerk who thinks of women as cows is sickening.
Not to mention that Kimball then offered up his 14 year old daughter. After Joseph said, "just kidding, I really didn't want your wife, it was only a test...." Kimball was like, "Oh, ok....well how about my little girl, would you like her for a wife?" :twisted:
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 pm
Not to mention that Kimball then offered up his 14 year old daughter. After Joseph said, "just kidding, I really didn't want your wife, it was only a test...." Kimball was like, "Oh, ok....well how about my little girl, would you like her for a wife?" :twisted:
Aw C'mon Allie, didn't you read the essay? Helen became a great advocate and defender of polygamy, as is obvious from her own writings much later in life:
“My father had but one Ewe Lamb, but willingly laid her upon the alter: how cruel this seamed to the mother whose heartstrings were already stretched untill they were ready to snap asunder, for he had taken Sarah Noon to wife & she thought she had made sufficient sacrafise, but the Lord required more… I will pass over the temptations which I had during the twenty four hours after my father introduced to me this principle & asked me if I would be sealed to Joseph, who came next morning & with my parents I heard him teach & explain the principle of Celestial marrage -- after which he said to me, “If you will take this step, it will ensure your eternal salvation and exaltation & that of your father’s household & all of your kindred.” This promise was so great that I willingly gave myself to purchase so glorious a reward."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Zack Tacorin Dos

Post by Zack Tacorin Dos » Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 pm

OMG! Reading these ludicrous comparisons of wives to animals is both hilarious and painfully sickening at the same time. Have I mentioned lately that I hate the institution of the Church?

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri May 19, 2017 4:59 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 pm
First of all, no one REALLY believes that was the reason for polygamy. That's just the story they'd tell questioning young people much the same way they'd say Jesus was really turning water into grape juice. Sure, maybe they'd almost convince themselves the story was true but deep down they knew.

Secondly, a quick story from my youth. My father was a tradesman and I worked many summers with him. We often crossed paths with other tradesman, all nice guys but many falling into that certain rough around the edges stereotype. Many times during long days a Coke was offered or occasionally a beer. My father always turned it down which would be met with questions, sometimes directly of "are you Mormon or something?" He, of course, always answered in the affirmative and many, many times someone would get that leering grin and ask "how many wives you got?" and they would insinuate a jealousy at Mormon men and their good fortune. My father always answered the same way; he would guffaw and exclaim "You can't even handle the wife you got!?! What are you gonna do with two??"

Now, his answer could be deemed sexist (he was an older generation with a different point of view on these matters) but there was a certain wisdom there. Polygamy opens a can of worms the church likely never wants to touch again beyond that safe zone of whatever happens after we're dead.
Reminds me of a favorite scene in The Adams Family (dating myself here). Morticia suspects Gomez of having another woman, possibly another wife. She is looking at a large legal book.

Morticia: Do you know what the penalty for bigamy is?

Gomez: Two wives ?!
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sat May 20, 2017 5:11 am

You are a daughter, no wait, scratch that.

You are a cow/sheep/insect of Heavenly Father. Who, if you are considered excess inventory, will be placed in an arranged marriage where you will receive day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute, that, though your body and mind may be human, you're actually, not just a cow/sheep/insect but a grade b, c, d one, as well.

But the church values women and considers them equal.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren