Paid temple jobs

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

Paid temple jobs

Post by Korihor » Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm

In response to the new mormonleaks files today, was anyone else surprised that certain temple gigs are paid? Such as temple recorder, President, etc?

I figured the maintenance/grounds crews, maybe the cafeteria staff, etc. were compensated, but I was rather surprised that several positions "on the inside" were paid jobs. Was this fairly common knowledge and I'm the ignorant one or is anyone else surprised to learn this?

Really, it's not a big deal to me, just surprising.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Thoughtful

Re: Paid temple jobs

Post by Thoughtful » Tue May 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Korihor wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 4:00 pm
In response to the new mormonleaks files today, was anyone else surprised that certain temple gigs are paid? Such as temple recorder, President, etc?

I figured the maintenance/grounds crews, maybe the cafeteria staff, etc. were compensated, but I was rather surprised that several positions "on the inside" were paid jobs. Was this fairly common knowledge and I'm the ignorant one or is anyone else surprised to learn this?

Really, it's not a big deal to me, just surprising.

Link?

My FIL has been a recorder and a counselor. He certainly didn't disclose anything like this. However, the temple president who lived in close driving distance was given a very luxurious home to live in while serving.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue May 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 pm

I was good friends with a templerecorder.
When He retired in 2009 I had a jobinterview.
As it entailed a move to another country in Europe nothing came of it.

It paid handsomely.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 am

Running a business cost money, The temple is a profit center for the church. It drives tithing compliance. The church would be foolish not to invest in quality people to run it.

I think sometimes we get to caught up in the idea of working for free in the church. Of all the things the church does paying a few people is not something that bothers me.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon May 22, 2017 7:08 pm

I know someone who was a temple recorder. Paid position. Sole source of income for the family.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Christfollower

Post by Christfollower » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 am

Are these amounts per month? I thought surely they must be per year based on what the temple recorder was being paid, and then I scrolled down to the lower paying positions and wondered, because nobody is doing those jobs for $3K/year.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 am
Running a business cost money, The temple is a profit center for the church. It drives tithing compliance. The church would be foolish not to invest in quality people to run it.

I think sometimes we get to caught up in the idea of working for free in the church. Of all the things the church does paying a few people is not something that bothers me.
I completely agree. I have zero problems with them paying people if they would just be open about it. I feel I was lead to believe everyone in the temple regarding spiritual worship was a volunteer. I knew people were paid for temple maintenance, etc.

It just part of the overall lack of transparency issue. But it seems many people were aware, so maybe it's my fault for not knowing about it previously. ;)
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Korihor wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 am
I completely agree. I have zero problems with them paying people if they would just be open about it. I feel I was lead to believe everyone in the temple regarding spiritual worship was a volunteer. I knew people were paid for temple maintenance, etc.

It just part of the overall lack of transparency issue. But it seems many people were aware, so maybe it's my fault for not knowing about it previously. ;)
Having an unpaid clergy was virtually an article of faith for Mormons in past decades. That facade has quietly slipped so that it's supposed to be common knowledge that positions above Stake President get a "modest stipend" even if the amount was never specified. Prophets, seers, and revelators were allegedly above financial concerns according to the virtually dead myth that many of us were raised with.