Turf war and pack mentality

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Turf war and pack mentality

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm

You know....I don't know where to put this, so I am gunna put it here in this forum.

I learned something years ago that was fascinating to me. Watching "The Dog Whisperer" years ago, it was interesting when he took out a LARGE group of dogs and discovered that often, the dog breeds would actually segregate themselves off and stick together. When I saw this, I remembered something I learned about the prison system and the pack mentality that rules there as well. Ethnic groups stick together for protection. The whites stick with the Aryans, the Blacks with the Blacks, the Latinos with the Latinos, etc. If you don't stick with your group, you are fresh meat and more vulnerable. And, if you turn against your group, you are in even a worse place. In fact, the guards stick with the guards, something called "The Green Wall" in some circles, all swirling with corruption and cruelty.

In another thread out there a discussion about Sherrie Dew just happened, and I found myself wondering: Are these people high up in the Church really that ignorant of the issues surrounding the history and total lack of honesty that is part of it?

I found myself answering, and was surprised. It doesn't matter if they are or not. Its about loyalty to their group. Its about the "Pack"...

Sherrie isn't going to leave her group because she becomes vulnerable if she does, and her own group would turn on her and it would be worse.

Its the PACK thing going on here--it has nothing, NOTHING to do with honesty or integrity--its about loyalty and protection...

Palerider

Re: Turf war and pack mentality

Post by Palerider » Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Totally with you on this one. Think Martin Luther going against the Pope. The fear of being shamed and banned from the rarified heights and all of the mutual stroking that goes on at that level. The shunning and ugly fall from grace....Nobody wants to face the truth at that level.

BAD dog, bad dog....

"Verily, verily I say unto you, they have their reward."
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I like my NOM Pack.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

alas

Post by alas » Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 pm

With the most important thing with the church being loyalty, (to the pack) I have wonderedif we joined the NOM pack because we never really fit into the LDS pack. We were the lone wolves while we believed and now we have become dogs and joined the human pack.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 pm

I felt pretty good in the church pack. Of course, nobody agrees 100% with everyone but I do miss some things about the LDS community.
Not worth compromising one's integrity in order to stay though.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Why do I always feel like I'm a minority? I'm an NOM in Utah. I'm a moderate politically, but in Utah that puts me in with Left. I am even a jazz lover in a music world that loves Pop. I feel pretty good on NOM, but I suspect as a theist I'm still in the minority.😕
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:48 pm
I like my NOM Pack.
We need some kind of gang sign we can flash to each other. Something other than temple signs, of course.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm
Korihor wrote:
I like my NOM Pack.
We need some kind of gang sign we can flash to each other. Something other than temple signs, of course.
Or we could wear special undies :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 pm

MoPag wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm
Corsair wrote:
Korihor wrote:
I like my NOM Pack.
MoPag for the win!
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu May 18, 2017 6:37 am

MoPag wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 pm
Corsair wrote:
Korihor wrote:
I like my NOM Pack.
Ifs it a thong....for GAWDS SAKES just keep that covered!!!

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 am

alas wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 pm
With the most important thing with the church being loyalty, (to the pack) I have wonderedif we joined the NOM pack because we never really fit into the LDS pack. We were the lone wolves while we believed and now we have become dogs and joined the human pack.

That is true for me to some degree. I was never really part of the main LDS clique and was only popular when they could get something out of me. Any social interaction for just fun was when they invited everyone. When my shelf crashed, this made it a lot easier to leave. I wasn't part of the social circle, so leaving it wasn't a problem.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 19, 2017 8:29 am

Corsair wrote:
Korihor wrote:
I like my NOM Pack.
Tapir hand puppet?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 am

Sometimes you just need to be a lone wolf, if that is what you want to do.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sun May 21, 2017 7:40 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:22 am
Sometimes you just need to be a lone wolf, if that is what you want to do.
I have found it interesting the hero worship of the PACK, as well as the grooming for being Alpha that is dominant in the cult. Everywhere you go, they want everyone to be like "Nephi" and "Alma"....but when it comes down to it, they want sheep.

Its schizophrenic: one day you are praised for being a leader, and the next, if you lead in a way the GAs don't like, you are condemned. You can't ride the line between the traffic without getting smashed in the middle.

Give It Time

Post by Give It Time » Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 am

I think that's why they marginalize anyone who doesn't quite fit with the group for any reason.
At 70 years-old, my older self would tell my younger self to use the words, "f*ck off" much more frequently. --Helen Mirren