Paris Temple much more influencial than Palace of Versailles

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

Paris Temple much more influencial than Palace of Versailles

Post by Korihor » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 am

http://www.ldsliving.com/The-Paris-Fran ... on/s/85433
The Paris France Temple is the first in France and 156th worldwide for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Within walking distance of the entrance to the gardens of the Versailles Palace — the Sun King’s royal chateau — the temple stands in a prominent, “royal location,” said LDS Church Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé.

“The temple is only a few hundred yards from the remarkable Chateau of Versailles, which was transformed by King Louis XIV and his family into an extravagant complex, complete with French and English gardens,” said Elder Neil L. Andersen of the LDS Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who also participated in the dedication. “While the chateau is impressive, its influence dissipated with the death of the Sun King and those who followed him.”

In contrast, the Paris Temple will have a worldwide, eternal impact, especially among French-speaking populations, President Eyring said. “It will be powerful. It will lead to other temples.”
I just can't. The ignorance, insensitivity and plain idiotic statements of Eyring are astounding.

I'm willing to bet everything I have the Palace of Versailles will stand the test of time for it's first 300 years better than the LDS Paris Temple.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

Silver Girl

Re: Paris Temple much more influencial than Palace of Versailles

Post by Silver Girl » Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Good grief! How incredibly arrogant and condescending to a nation that, I assume, agreed to allow that building to be constructed. I hate to think of the cost of that site - i had no idea it was so close to that (genuine) landmark. What kind of crap is the phrase about a "worldwide impact" - what a crock! How the hell do they expect ANY temple to have impact when they're not even open to many members of the church, much less to a "worldwide" population. I call BS on that.

The site alone would likely have paid for many decades of professional cleaning of every single chapel bathroom in the church...
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm
Good grief! How incredibly arrogant and condescending to a nation that, I assume, agreed to allow that building to be constructed.
It's not just arrogant and condescending it's downright delusional. The chateau and gardens of Versailles have over 7 million visitors each year*. Pretty impressive for a building whose influence has supposedly faded.

*Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/30/travel/mo ... es-palaces
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 22, 2017 1:53 pm

This will be a Temple fit for the Sun King, and with bathrooms!

It looks fairly Celestial
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Mon May 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I wouldn't be so confident if I were them. The French have five seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Revolution. Having an American religion build a palace next to Versailles might possibly be seen as a poke in the nationalist eye.

I found some French coverage of the dedication. Does the word "cult" carry a connotation French?

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/dans-les- ... 471_23.php

If you have Chrome, then it will translate to English.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm

"culte" in French has no connotation, "secte" is the word for cult in the modern sense of the term.
"culte" can be roughly translated as rite or worship. As an example, mormons in Frane call the chapel the "salle de culte", literally "room of worship".

Also, neither of those quotes from the OP were pronounced during the first session of the dedication, and I don't count Caussé's adjective as a quote because everyone in France knows that the whole town of Versailles is royal.

Elder Andersen might be correct in assuming that the LDS church's influence in France will not dissipate. After all, you have to have some influence to have it dissipate.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 24, 2017 6:15 am

“It will be powerful. It will lead to other temples.”
He is aware that they're shutting down 800 units in Europe, isn't he? My question is how many temples are we going to be subsidizing for the church to maintain the illusion that they are filling the earth. The temples in Rome and Paris must be the most expensive ever built.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 pm

It seems funny now how the members think the world revolves around the church.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri May 26, 2017 7:19 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 pm
It seems funny now how the members think the world revolves around the church.
Yep. It is the way of the Church to grossly overexaggerate its own importance in the world we live in. For all its overblown self-aggrandizement, it could disappear tomorrow and 99% of the world's population wouldn't bat an eye. And for all its bluster about its importance to the next life, I am literally betting my eternal salvation it will have no influence whatsoever on what happens to me and my family when we die. And I have no fear whatsoever of the odds of that bet.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Tangent

Post by Tangent » Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 pm

Yeah talk about the church thinking the world revolves around it...my favorite lately is the claim that the internet was invented to propagate the gospel and accelerate family history work. Whew what a relief to know that! I always wondered what good the internet could be...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Dravin wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 1:34 pm
It's not just arrogant and condescending it's downright delusional. The chateau and gardens of Versailles have over 7 million visitors each year*. Pretty impressive for a building whose influence has supposedly faded.

*Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/30/travel/mo ... es-palaces
Wow. Now we know why the church shelled out the dough to build the temple there. Exposure.

What's the edifice equivalent of a 12 year old having more power in their pinky than the pope? The Paris temple has more power in their dumpster out back than the entire palace of Versailles.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Leukarktos

Post by Leukarktos » Sun May 28, 2017 1:12 am

Much closer to the LDS temple than the Palace of Versailles--next door, in fact--is a building that contains an insurance agency, a bed store, and a paint store. A royal location, indeed! :lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun May 28, 2017 8:35 am

Maybe the church hopes as the temple grows in importance, they draw some visitors from the palace and charge them an entrance fee of only 10%.
~2bizE

Newme

Post by Newme » Sun May 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Silver Girl wrote:
Good grief! How incredibly arrogant and condescending to a nation that, I assume, agreed to allow that building to be constructed. I hate to think of the cost of that site - i had no idea it was so close to that (genuine) landmark. What kind of crap is the phrase about a "worldwide impact" - what a crock! How the hell do they expect ANY temple to have impact when they're not even open to many members of the church, much less to a "worldwide" population. I call BS on that.
Good point. It really is ironic that a church who is supposedly all about family & Christ, splits up families and charge$$$$ for worthiness.
Temples, as beautiful as they are, remind me of an extensive manipulative and hurtful scam.
I hope the French see this for what it is, and don't get sucked into bankruptcies like so many members have.
The site alone would likely have paid for many decades of professional cleaning of every single chapel bathroom in the church...
Yes, and it'd be nice if the church of Jesus Christ actually did what Jesus asked - give to the poor.
Heck, even the basic (lower law) of Moses said that at least 1/3 of TITHES (not extras but actual tithing) is supposed to go to the poor.
Although finances are kept dark and secret, Oaks admitted not a penny goes to the poor - that members have to pay extra.
According to the WHO, almost 1 billion (1/7th) of the world's population are "chronically hungry."
In my view, the church in how finances are handled, is robbing from the poor and contributing to suffering and deaths.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 am

Someone else appears to have similar ideas in France.

https://apnews.com/c01121dbfc6740969cd0 ... _medium=AP
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

PalmSprings

Post by PalmSprings » Wed May 31, 2017 1:18 am

Silver Girl wrote:

This is spot on! There are meetinghouses that are falling apart and aren't maintained well enough to be on Baltic Ave. And not to mention the church members who are living in poverty and they are constructing a Temple on some of the worlds prime real estate??? To top it off the inference that a measly constructed temple comes even close to being on the same level of Versailles is just ignorance at its best.