Who were the Lamanites?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Who were the Lamanites?

Post by Hagoth » Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 pm

Mosiah 10:8 And it came to pass that they came up upon the north of the land of Shilom, with their numerous hosts, men armed with bows, and with arrows, and with swords, and with cimeters, and with stones, and with slings; and they had their heads shaved that they were naked; and they were girded with a leathern girdle about their loins.

Alma 3:4 And the Amlicites were distinguished from the Nephites, for they had marked themselves with red in their foreheads after the manner of the Lamanites; nevertheless they had not shorn their heads like unto the Lamanites.
Alma 50: 3 And he caused that upon those works of timbers there should be a frame of pickets built upon the timbers round about; and they were strong and high. 4 And he caused towers to be erected that overlooked those works of pickets, and he caused places of security to be built upon those towers, that the stones and the arrows of the Lamanites could not hurt them.
Image Image
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Who were the Lamanites?

Post by moksha » Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 am

The Laminates were a composite people. Some from the woods near the Cedars of Lebanon, some from the Magnolia tribes of Kentucky. Despite their variegated background, they have been brought together and held with the glue of their common faith and limited geography.

Laminate Tribe Members

The Laminates are among the world's longest-living people. Some have speculated it is because of their high fiber diets, while others have suggested a high mineral content. Whatever the reason, they have certainly carved out a niche for themselves in our history.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

ulmite

Post by ulmite » Sun May 28, 2017 5:01 am

A bunch of people who decided Lamanite sounded cooler than Lemuelite?

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun May 28, 2017 8:31 am

Descendants of folks who crossed the Bering straight land bridge.

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 am

moksha wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 am
The Laminates were a composite people. Some from the woods near the Cedars of Lebanon, some from the Magnolia tribes of Kentucky. Despite their variegated background, they have been brought together and held with the glue of their common faith and limited geography.

Laminate Tribe Members

The Laminates are among the world's longest-living people. Some have speculated it is because of their high fiber diets, while others have suggested a high mineral content. Whatever the reason, they have certainly carved out a niche for themselves in our history.
Moksha FTW as usual! Nicely done!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 29, 2017 9:21 am

moksha wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:37 am
The Laminates were a composite people.
:D :D Just noticed my spelling error. Hilarious, Moksha!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

redjay

Post by redjay » Mon May 29, 2017 10:39 am

Young Joseph's magical play friends
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.