I pay my tithing first

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Korihor

I pay my tithing first

Post by Korihor » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm

http://www.ldsliving.com/-The-First-Thi ... ct/s/85731

It's difficult to even make this post. But this is some High Quality Grade Propoganda right here. The bragging rights for the the church won one today.

Now the question - will a gross tithe or a net tithe earn him a SuperBowl ring? He already tithed his scholarship money, so I think we can make a few guesses.

I really don't care how he spends his money, he can waste it on drugs, cars or tithing. I just don't want the chruch have an extra $12.5M to play with.

EDIT - He's not even LDS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Morons at LDS Living trying to spin this that he's paying it to "the church". Bunch of dirty scumbags, them.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

moksha

Re: I pay my tithing first

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Maybe it's not the specific religion they are pushing, but the message of paying tithes. Sort of like TV preacher Kenneth Copeland telling you to donate your meager earnings so he can buy another private jet to please Jesus. The message is not about Jesus, but rather Kenneth's love of his jets.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Korihor wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm
EDIT - He's not even LDS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Morons at LDS Living trying to spin this that he's paying it to "the church". Bunch of dirty scumbags, them.
Wait. What? I didn't read the article, but I heard about this earlier today, and I thought he was LDS and paying to the corp. Now I wonder what their motive was? To make people think like I did and emulate?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Well, the dead give away here is that he knows his money is going to help people all around the world. He's not going to give it to a corporation that's going to play a shell game with it so they won't have to call it tithing and then use it to build another shopping mall or a city in Florida. :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 am

It was interesting that the article didn't make it clear that Carr isn't LDS. Apparently, at least a few readers presumed he was.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:34 am

Korihor wrote:
That is crazy!

Leaving out the detail that Carr is an evangelical Christian does imply he is Mormon.

It was high-grade propaganda if he really was a Mormon. The fact he isn't Mormon takes it to another level. I'm thinking North Korea. :D

I guess we don't have to worry about him giving $12.5 million to the LDS church.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 am

Several believers in my Facebook feed were congratulatory over this guy. I don't think that believers are thinking through the message they are taking from this. "A handsome, famous, multi-millionaire athlete pays his tithing. He pays on 'gross' and not the heretic 'net'. Surely you struggling, dirt poor people can have the faith to do that also." That will never be overtly stated, but any Mormon/Christian/normal person having the least bit of trouble making rent next month will have this profoundly disingenuous idea guilted onto their already burdened souls.

I will have to happily be a lazy heretic about this. I looked at Derek Carr's announcement in the same spirit I felt when I sat in Elders Quorum last Sunday and the lesson again emphasized home teaching and missionary work. There was a very peaceful feeling of "I'm sure glad I don't feel obligated to participate in this baloney."

LaMachina

Post by LaMachina » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 pm

I struggle with being a dick over this sort of stuff. Good on this guy for doing what he thinks is good and charitable but how does 'Don't do your alms before men' factor in when proclaiming this in a news conference? I am also not overly impressed that someone will give up some of his MILLIONS of dollars (the tax break on this must be pretty sweet, right?) while wanting to appreciate someone attempting some good. I call it the Oprah Paradox. She is a PR grubbing, really not that impressive, philanthropist but damn it if she doesn't help people out monetarily far more than I or most others ever will. I find her simultaneously nauseating and honorable.

Flaming Meaux

Post by Flaming Meaux » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Korihor wrote:
Oh, but he is.

He will either accept the gospel in this life, or we will baptize him as soon as he is dead and presume that he accepted it in the next.

Because time to God is one eternal round and all things are present before his eyes continually, essentially Carr IS already Mormon. So no fault in leaving that little tidbit out, LDS Living just has a broader perspective than you do.

[/sarcasm]
"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." -- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 pm

LaMachina wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 pm
'Don't do your alms before men'
Excellent point.

My wife and I just covered this in a recent scripture study. I'm sure if he was to think this over from a more mature perspective he would probably just quietly go about his business.

LDS living however should know better than to be the horn blower preceding the Pharisee who is dumping all of his coin in the treasury.....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington